News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This has probably been beat to death 440 Source Stealth Heads vs. Eddy RPM 440s?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, December 20, 2009, 03:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

I see that the 440 Source Stealth Cylinder Alum. Heads are $475 cheaper than the Eddy 440 RPM Performer Alum. Heads.
I am a firm believe that you get what you pay for but on my 1970 440 engine, built to factory specs., except for slight hotter cam, are the Eddys worth the extra $ for a street car that I am looking to get 525 Ponies out of, and 525+ ft. lbs of torque?

It seems to me with the right matched cam, intake manifolds, carb, etc., I am going to make about the same power vs. both heads.  What am I missing her and is the extra $475 worth it or not?

Thanks  :cheers: and sorry if this topic has been beat to death but I am a new to this performance website and just got rid of 2 HUGE horsepower Chevys and believe I am back to Mopar for life now as I always seem to favor these more unique bad boys over your run of the mill more common Chevys!  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

1Bad70Charger

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

General_01

It has been beat to death. Here is one link to read if you have not yet.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49442.0.html

Do a search of Stealth heads and you will find more. I personally went with Mopar Performance aluminum heads. I just felt Edelbrock and MP had better quality control than 440 Source. I did use a 440 Source stroker kit and it was fine, but the issues in the above link were happening around the time of my build so I was leary of the heads. It seems the general consensus is they are good for the money, but you definately need to check the retainers and locks on the valves and most likely replace them with better ones. That is also discussed in the link provided. Good luck with your build. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

1Bad70Charger

General,

Thanks for the link I appreciate you finding and posting it as my computers skills are not the best when tracking down specific threads like this.  :cheers:

Now I can read up on this and research from there and make an informed decision without having to continue a dead horse on this topic!  :cheers:

Ghoste

When it comes to bang for the buck power potential and all things being equal my opinion is that the Eddy's still seem to be the benchmark.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 21, 2009, 01:13:43 AM
When it comes to bang for the buck power potential and all things being equal my opinion is that the Eddy's still seem to be the benchmark.

:iagree: The RPM or MP 452 aluminum head would be my choice.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tan top

pitty Edelbrocks & the MP452  version ,  did not look like the Stealth heads !!  ,  to me they look out of place under the hood ! of anything but an all out race car ! although  i even like stock looking  intakes  painted motor color also  :shruggy:

was/am  seriously thinking about getting a set of  CNC stealths  ,  but te jury is still out  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Paul G

I used a set of stealth heads. I cant give you any numbers other than seat of the pants feel. They outperformed the ported iron heads I had greatly, using my ass-o-meter as a scale. Well worth the money. The whole idea behind them is to keep stock appearing with the power advantage of an aluminum head.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

OttawaCharger

to confuse you a little more, there is also the 440-EZ heads by Indy  :D
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Ghoste

Are the 440-EZ's really all that easy though?  I don't actually know or know anyone personally who has used them so I'm just asking based on some of the other ICH stuff I've seen. (which btw, is not a comment on their quality or power production ability just the bolt on and go aspect of their heads)

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: OttawaCharger on January 04, 2010, 10:47:19 PM

What is the general cost of these heads? I take it they are more than the approximate $1,370 for a fully assembled set of Eddys!  ;)

Cooter

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on January 05, 2010, 12:23:38 AM
Quote from: OttawaCharger on January 04, 2010, 10:47:19 PM

What is the general cost of these heads? I take it they are more than the approximate $1,370 for a fully assembled set of Eddys!  ;)

I don't think comparing INDY EZ440 heads to Eddy's is a fair comparison...The INDY's will run off from the Eddy's every time, IMO..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

They better, aren't they like twice the price just for the heads?  And then you have to buy their intake manifolds?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on January 05, 2010, 12:23:38 AM

The basic EZ's with a std intake port window (383-440 size) is around $1900 for the pair. The max wedge port EZ-1's start around $2100 and go up from there.

Quote from: Ghoste on January 05, 2010, 09:38:39 AM
They better, aren't they like twice the price just for the heads?  And then you have to buy their intake manifolds?

The std port EZ flows a little better than an E-head but they are really a max wedge head with std intake port sizing. The intake ports are max wedge internally then neck down to std port just before the intake mounting surface. The larger port volume will slow down velocity and make the engine feel lazy at lower engine speeds. Not my first choice for a street/strip 440 or a pump gas mostly street driven 500in stroker.

It's not allways just about the flow numbers.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Haven't the Indy's always been more of a racing head?  (that is to say, they were somewhat dragged in to EZ's as a compromise because of lost business to the Eddy's?)

Cooter

IMO, the only reason the Eddy's sell so well, is the fact that the average NON engine builder guy/gal can buy a set of Eddy RPM heads, bolt them on and go....With any head that flows well, the Victor Eddy heads require all that crazy offset rocker arm, Intakes, and headers as well..

You just don't "Bolt on" any "Good" flowing Aluminum head IMO...
There's always a trade off..The heads cost you $1600.00, then you have to buy crazy rockers from T&D which are offset, then crazy pushrods, then crazy headers...By the time you have a NICE set of Aluminum heads that flow well, you've spent around $4000.00 in the top end regaurdless of which head you go for...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Hmmm, an interesting point.  I'd agree that they sell well because the average car enthusiast can bolt them on and go but I think I would still consider them a "nice" set of heads.  When you consider the cost of refurbishing stock iron heads, the fact that you can get the Eddy's plus add a little to the performance of the car, how can you go wrong?  The Victors and Indy's clearly have their place and yes, there is a greater cost involved but the person buying those is more likely investing more in the rest of the engine too (at least they better be).
As you say, the Indy's are a different animal entirely but I think there's a room and a very definite need for both in the jungle.

Cooter

This is just MY opinion here, but If I'm gonna build an engine that requires ALuminum heads and all the crap that goes with them, I'm not gonna spend A minimum of $2000.00 for a "Little" bit better than a fully worked set of Iron heads as I do all my own porting, Valve work...If I spend more than $1000.00 on heads of any type, it better be one helluva reason why meaning The car better pin me in the seat and FORCE me to reallize "Oh yeah, it was worth it"....When talking aluminum heads, If I'm spending the money even in a "Street" car, I'm going full tilt...All I can get...I ain't gonna do it but one time....This is why I'm a 440 Big Block man instead of a Stroker Small Blocks @ 440 Cu. In...

firefighter3931

Here's a good deal on a set of brand new 84cc closed chamber RPM's.....won't last long at this price :

I have a set of Edelbrock performer rpm heads brand new in the box for sale! they are the Part #60929 84 cc chamber 210cc runner
$1200 Plus Actual shipping cost I am in Idaho
Thanks Matt 208 830 6449 (hotdodge440@yahoo.com) If ya need pics let me know !
Call me or email me !

The ad is on Moparts

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5700775&page=0&fpart=4&vc=1

Ron

Runner

Quote from: tan top on December 21, 2009, 12:48:22 PM
pitty Edelbrocks & the MP452  version ,  did not look like the Stealth heads !!  ,  to me they look out of place under the hood ! of anything but an all out race car ! although  i even like stock looking  intakes  painted motor color also  :shruggy:

was/am  seriously thinking about getting a set of  CNC stealths  ,  but te jury is still out  :shruggy:

and thats what makes the world go around.  i like the looks of the eddy or mopar 452 head, acually i like the mopar head better because i like the mopar logo on the front.   on a side note, why did elelbrock put the the logo on the small block heads vertical?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Runner

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 05, 2010, 01:36:51 PM
Here's a good deal on a set of brand new 84cc closed chamber RPM's.....won't last long at this price :

I have a set of Edelbrock performer rpm heads brand new in the box for sale! they are the Part #60929 84 cc chamber 210cc runner
Call me or email me !

The ad is on Moparts

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5700775&page=0&fpart=4&vc=1

Ron

wish i had a spare 1200 laying around

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Runner on January 05, 2010, 09:03:39 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 05, 2010, 01:36:51 PM

Call me or email me !

The ad is on Moparts

Ron

wish i had a spare 1200 laying around

Tell me about it!!!  :brickwall:  :brickwall:

flyinlow

I was made in the USA. My Charger was made In the USA. My engine including the Eddy heads were made in the USA.  Letters matching car / owner ?   :nana: