News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Underbody Coating advice...

Started by sanders7981, January 03, 2010, 10:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

I have been doing some research and all about coating the underbody of my 69 charger and have found a few different ways to do it.  However, I am not sure on what is reccommended... so that is why I am looking for some suggestions from y'all that have done this...or had it done.  Currently, the entire car is epoxy primed underneath.  I was looking at having the underside painted, but that may be out of my total budget, and may not hold up as long.  So I looked coating it with POR-15 and then using some of their Chasis Coat over that as added protection.  I have read debates on POR-15 vs. Zero Rust... and that only muddied my decession on what to choose.  I am a little confused on what route to take...but I am really digging the price of Zero Rust! 

Silver R/T

why not have it undercoated with rubberizing coating just like most cars have.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

The70RT

If your not gonna paint it I would undercoat it. I wouldn't use any por15 on it  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sanders7981

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 03, 2010, 10:32:46 PM
why not have it undercoated with rubberizing coating just like most cars have.

I may do that over the coating.  I am just looking for the best way to protect the underside from rust. 

Silver R/T

You don't put por15 over epoxy primer, it goes over rusted metal or sandblasted metal.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar_nut_440_6

My experience with POR15 is that it peels off of any non rusty surface. The epoxy primer IMO should provide a durable finish. That stuff is tough as nails. I have the bottom of my car painted in grey epoxy primer to mimic the factory finish and am hoping that will be durable enough as I do not want to undercoat the car or over restore it with paint.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

elitecustombody

3M Body Shutz works awesome and if you pla enough with the gun, you can duplicate factory finish texture :Twocents:,it comes in tan/beige and black 

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

sanders7981

Quote from: elitecustombody on January 04, 2010, 12:07:43 PM
3M Body Shutz works awesome and if you pla enough with the gun, you can duplicate factory finish texture :Twocents:,it comes in tan/beige and black 

Hmmm looks promising.  My only problem is that I don't have an air compressor to apply it with.  :-\  How much of that would be needed to coat the bottom of a 69 charger?  I know that I can brush on Zero Rust, but I am looking at cost comparisons and quality.

elitecustombody

2 quarts is more than enough,I believe they were under $20 a quart,

Stefan

hemi-hampton

Quote from: elitecustombody on January 05, 2010, 10:49:26 PM

Takes me alot more then 2 quarts on the ones I do. I'd say at least 4 & maybe 6.  :Twocents: :Twocents: LEON.

P.S. You gotta buy a special schultz spraying gun that screws onto the cap of the can.

The70RT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 05, 2010, 11:05:53 PM

Tales me alot more then 2 quarts on the ones I do. I'd say at least 4 & maybe 6.  :Twocents: :Twocents: LEON.

P.S. You gotta buy a special schultz spraying gun that screws onto the cap of the can.

Yep.....i used around 2-3 quarts just for my wheel wells.

sanders7981

Takes me alot more then 2 quarts on the ones I do. I'd say at least 4 & maybe 6.  :Twocents: :Twocents: LEON.

Is the gun/spray used in conjunction with an air compressor? 

The70RT

Quote from: sanders7981 on January 06, 2010, 11:57:18 PM

Is the gun/spray used in conjunction with an air compressor? 

Yeah. And it is a low pressure gun. Mast any small compressor could do the job. If nothing else you could probably rent one.

elitecustombody

if you go nuts and hose on alot more than needed,that doesn't mean everyone does it the same, 2 -3 quarts is more than enough to do a full underside of a car, and FWIW,Shutz gun can be had for under $20,if you look hard enough,you'll find it :Twocents:

Stefan

The70RT

I removed all my factory undercoating and I know it wasn't condensed but I filled up a 5 gallon bucket like half full. The factory also missed places, rockers and the floors and parts of the frame rails. I just checked and looked for the gallon can I used and can't find it. I believe I used it all just on my fender wells. A B-body is a big car, an import or smaller car would of course take less. But who would put a lot on an import since in 10 years t most will be recycled anyway. It looks like I will be getting more to do the inside of the front fenders.....a place you need plenty to keep the rock dings down on the top of the fenders. It is cheap enough to put ample amounts of it on. Better too much then not enough. If you want to skimp on it or can't spray or don't want over spray on other parts then just brush it on.  :Twocents:

sanders7981

Quote from: The70RT on January 09, 2010, 02:28:48 PM
I removed all my factory undercoating and I know it wasn't condensed but I filled up a 5 gallon bucket like half full. The factory also missed places, rockers and the floors and parts of the frame rails. I just checked and looked for the gallon can I used and can't find it. I believe I used it all just on my fender wells. A B-body is a big car, an import or smaller car would of course take less. But who would put a lot on an import since in 10 years t most will be recycled anyway. It looks like I will be getting more to do the inside of the front fenders.....a place you need plenty to keep the rock dings down on the top of the fenders. It is cheap enough to put ample amounts of it on. Better too much then not enough. If you want to skimp on it or can't spray or don't want over spray on other parts then just brush it on.  :Twocents:

Noted... I will probably go this route.  I may just spray teh bottom with Zero Rust and then coat it with this stuff