News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help,Pontiac Transport brakes

Started by poppa, January 06, 2010, 08:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Daughters,pulled to drivers side.Figured caliper froze(pass side),oh no it's not. Put new calipers and pads on,go to bleed and nothing from pass side,caliper won't even close up a little. Drivers side seems to be working correctly.I stood on the pedal too. Prop valve? something in the anti-lock? Was hoping to have done tonight,now will have to finish in 8-12 of snow. :brickwall: :brickwall:
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

RD

brake hose, collapsed most likely (though it may not look like it).  replace that as it is the cheapest part to replace right now.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

no318

Quote from: RD on January 06, 2010, 09:09:03 PM
brake hose, collapsed most likely (though it may not look like it).  replace that as it is the cheapest part to replace right now.

I agree! 

poppa

I will look at that next chance I get. Are there any seals in the prop valve?? Thanks

FLG

I too agree!

Prop valve proportions the front and rear..im pretty sure if there was a problem with the valve it would be between the front and rear, not between the driver and passenger.

IMO, before you even go out a buy a hose..remove the line where it comes into the hose and go on the brakes...if it sprays out then you know the hose is the culprit.

Cooter

The "prop" valve can cause this is any loss of pressure to one end or the other has occured....You will have to Stab the brake pedal kinda hard a few times to "Reseat" the slider valve inside the prop Valve...
On most of the newer cars, when this occurs, it causes the Left Front and right rear and Vise versa to have a no fluid condition...It always helps to NOT LET all the fluid run out of the Brake system while swapping calipers/hoses as well....I've found vaccumn cap over the end of the metal line works pretty well....

This can be a PITA though...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

poppa

Leave bleeder closed when "stabbing"?

Cooter

Yes, as it has to Reset that shuttle valve inside...This may take a few trys to get -r- done.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

Quote from: no318 on January 06, 2010, 09:58:03 PM

I agree! 
I am 99 percent of the this. :yesnod:

poppa

Never ran into this (and I'm getting old). Will try as soon as weather permits. Thanks guys...... I'll let you know.

poppa

loosened hose at caliper,stepped on brake ,nothing. Will loosen at hose/metal line  and check there. Probably tomorrow ,unless my helper shows up quick.

1969chargerrtse

On a happier note for you, I have a 98 and had a 91. They are well built and last forever. The only real issues I had were a leaky O ring on the distributor that looks like a leaky rear main but is real easy to replace. A rear lamp wiring issue, and a blown air shock. Keep in mind that car had about 300,000 miles on it. Good solid car. Tank.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

poppa

Thanks for the help guys. It was the hose. ;D

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander