News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rockingham Nc. Polar Bear 150

Started by Highbanked Hauler, January 04, 2010, 07:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Check out the Rockingham Speedway site as it tells you a lot more than I can.

This was grass roots racing at its best, no big money sponsors and no 13 second pit stops and I'd bet there were a few charge cards used to buy tires, fuel and get to the track. There was one Dodge the no.71 Charger (which there is a good picture of on their site) and one Ford which got taken out in a wreck. The rest were Chevys, mostly old Comaros and Monty Carlos. There were 65 cars starting and around 40 finished and about half way through something must have broke on the Charger as  he got to the inside and got into the pits without getting wrecked. This was New Years day and we were freezing so I didn't get a chance to track down the driver after the race to find out about the car.  I doubt there was much real Charger left to the car but somebody did an excellent sheet metal job on it and it was painted like the original no.71 Dodge of that era. If you are Chrysler to the core and have an interest in racing go to your local short track and cheer on the Dodge driver. Being cheered on is one of the few perks you get.  :cheers:

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

That #71 Charger looks and runs pretty good.   I've seen some footage of it running last year.   

rustafarian

Right on!  Head to your local track and cheer for the Mopar guys!!!!!
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

Highbanked Hauler

Rustafarlan, is that No. 39 car yours? If so what is it powered by??
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

rustafarian

It was mine,  I totalled it summer of '08,  steering linkage broke,  got hung up in a turn and that was all she wrote.  Oldest car at the track and definately the coolest.  Probably the most dangerous too,  the floors were gone,  passenger rear 1/4 was sheet metal.  She looked great at first,  caught some heat from spectators in the pits saying I should restore it.  One look inside would change thier mind.  WOuld've gotten a few more races out of her if I didn't let my mechanic behind the wheel for a race.  He hit everything,  including going over tractor tires marking a couple of the corners.  Didn't do it on purpose,  but after that fiasco the Charger was a marked car. 
Had a 360 with a 727 and a shift kit from A-1 Transmission in Villa Park IL (shameless plug - but Mike & Vito earned it).  Traded the drivetrain for a '88 Grand Marquis 5.0 and ran that one into the ground too.  I've raced a few Reliants and Sundances and an Aries K sedan in the compact division,  those Reliants/Aries are as big as you can get in that class,  not the fastest, but can take & deliver solid hits.
I have an equally rusted out '71 Cahrger for this season but no drivetrain as of yet.
About 100 days 'til opening night at Sycamore Speedway

http://sycamorespeedwayphotos.smugmug.com/2009-Cars/9-26-09-15488-15748/9772408_h7DSQ#662585095_xWxsC
http://sycamorespeedwayphotos.smugmug.com/2009-Cars/9-26-09-15488-15748/9772408_h7DSQ#662588560_Ei9wQ

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

Highbanked Hauler

I see what you mean,looks like you got beat with a large stick :o
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser