News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a '70 suspension?

Started by motorcitydak, January 02, 2010, 12:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcitydak

I heard that the 70 Charger front end has a different sway bar setup than my '68. I need to have a sway bar that is out of the way so I can fit my tires in there and heard that the '70 mite be the way to go. I was thinking I would have to make up a custom splined bar setup until I heard about this. Also, what can I get that K member from? Does it have to be a Charger? or can it be from any '70 B Body?

So this is what I have and how the tire hits the sway bar, I need it to be under the strut rod so I can turn

This is what I found, but it is in a '68. They said that a '70 was used for parts tho

96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

Its really hard to see exactly what that sway bar mounts to. I know I would need different brackets on my LCA's, which Hotchkis sells. Could I just get the bar for a '70 and bolt it in then just make some mounts for it myself instead of trying to find another K member then try to get rid of mine?
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

FLG

Why are you going with such a wide tire setup in the front?

How are you going to manage to turn without hitting the frame or the fenders?

motorcitydak

Quote from: FLG on January 02, 2010, 01:51:35 AM
Why are you going with such a wide tire setup in the front?
Because I can

Quote from: FLG on January 02, 2010, 01:51:35 AM
How are you going to manage to turn without hitting the frame or the fenders?
By spacing the wheels out a little, dealing with this sway bar issue and building a flare into my fiberglass fenders. The wheels are 18x10 w/ 4.5BS iirc. The tires are 315 30 18's. I do not really like big wheels, but I have to run 18's to clear all the suspension pieces(ball joints and TRE's)
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

BrianShaughnessy

70 has a much shorter sway bar setup that runs directly thru the K member which is what you have in the 2nd pic.   I don't have nor can I readily locate a good pic of that 70 K setup.  

Although my good friend told me there were late 69 K members that can accomodate a 70 sway bar setup,  I've never seen one to the best of my knowledge.   I know neither of my 69's can.   I don't run that wide of tires and I'm fine with a firm feel front bar on the one and will do the same with the next.  

If you go browse the moparts 70 back B body parts for sale... you'll find this for sale in the Detroit area.
Quote1970 big block k-frame with skid plate from 1970 440+6 Road Runner. $200 firm.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

HPP

You also could try an E body set up. Much shorter arms that goes through the K frame so they have much higher rates than standard B bodies bars in the same size.

maxwellwedge

You are also going to need 70 style lower control arms that have the sway bar brackets welded on them for that canyon carver.

motorcitydak

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 02, 2010, 11:18:35 PM
You are also going to need 70 style lower control arms that have the sway bar brackets welded on them for that canyon carver.

Thanks, I was told Hotchkis sells those brackets to be welded on. They are 30 bucks iirc

Is there any difference in the '70 B body setup and the E body stuff?

Brian-where exactly did you find this listing?
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]