News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help request for 66 headlight connector removal

Started by RT_Craig, January 07, 2010, 04:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT_Craig

I am in the process of disassembling the front grille assy on a 66 charger.  I want to remove the headlight buckets for cleanup and paint. It appears the headlight electrical connectors need to be removed from their plastic housing to pull the harness out of the headlight bucket on the outboard side.  I tried several methods of inserting a wire into the side of the connector to try and get the wired end to release from the plastic housing, but was not successful.  Is there I trick to this method that I am missing?  Any help appreciated.

Topher

If you're talking about the female terminals, you need to get the correct removal tool. Looking from the connecting end, you'll see the relief just above the terminal where the tool goes to press down the locking tab on the terminal. I know you can get the tool from the major tool distributors, but you may be able to get one at your local autoparts house. Heck, ask your favorite electrical shop if they have one you can borrow for a little bit to get the job done. Make sure to take a picture and mark where each wire goes so the lights work when you put it back together. if you visit www.headlightmotorman.web.officelive.com and click on the troubleshooting tab you'll find some schematics and diagrams on how to take the buckets, and motors out.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

RT_Craig

Thank you, that is great info.  Last night, I found the connector behind the turn signal housing and was able to push the pins out of that connector and then slide the harness through the hinge sleeve and bucket. I felt a little embarrassed for the post when I saw there was a 3 tab connector on the other side and how easy that connector was to deal with.  I really appreciate the assistance that you provide to enthusiasts and hope that after this ground up restoration on my Sons Charger, I may be a contributor to helping someone with an issue on this forum.  It just came back from the bodyshop and will need lots and lots of resto parts and TLC.  I will also print and file the above response for any future reference. 

Topher

Come over to www.66-67charger.com get signed up and start asking all the questions you have. It's a great site with lots of great people that are totally dedicated to the First Gen Charger.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

A383Wing