News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will TM7 intake fit under stock hood?

Started by miller, January 04, 2010, 07:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

What would have to be done to fit the Edelbrock TM7 under the stock hood? Is it already low enough or do I need a special air cleaner?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

firefighter3931

The TM7 will clear a stock hood with a drop base....won't work with a factory air cleaner assembly.

It's a good manifold....but suited to high rpm operation. You need a healthy cam, good heads, headers, higher stall and deep gears to use all of it's potential. Powerband typically in the 3500-6500rpm range. I like it but it needs to be used in the right application.  :Twocents:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

miller

Will it at least flow better than a 1970 non hp manifold? I have a guy who I hope wil be willing sell it to me, but I dont want to waste his time if it will do no good.

b5blue

One came on my 70 Charger when I bought it. With a 509 purple shaft, and a double pumper sitting on top, my car had been drag raced for 8 years. I don't know if the hole in the hood was for clearance but idle was rough...but like firefighter said over 3K it screamed. Not what I wanted for a street car, but great for drags.

firefighter3931

Quote from: miller on January 04, 2010, 08:09:41 PM
Will it at least flow better than a 1970 non hp manifold? I have a guy who I hope wil be willing sell it to me, but I dont want to waste his time if it will do no good.

The cast iron 70 4bbl dual plane intake is acknowledged as being the best manifold ever produced by the factory...it's a descent piece and well matched to your combo.  :yesnod:

That being said....i wouldn't be swapping it for a TM7 and be expecting miracles....in fact it would be a step backwards. It might make a little more HP up top but you will be giving up a lot of torque and off idle throttle response.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Nacho-RT74

Ron, what makes that SPECIFIC one better than earliers or the laters stock units ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

miller

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 05, 2010, 09:59:51 AM
Quote from: miller on January 04, 2010, 08:09:41 PM
Will it at least flow better than a 1970 non hp manifold? I have a guy who I hope Will be willing sell it to me, but I don't want to waste his time if it will do no good.

The cast iron 70 4bbl dual plane intake is acknowledged as being the best manifold ever produced by the factory...it's a descent piece and well matched to your combo.  :yesnod:

That being said....i wouldn't be swapping it for a TM7 and be expecting miracles....in fact it would be a step backwards. It might make a little more HP up top but you will be giving up a lot of torque and off idle throttle response.  :P

Ron

So  in 1970, does the HP manifold flow better than the non HP manifold? Does a 1969 HP manifold flow better than a 1970 Non HP manifold? I'm just trying to find the right path to go (can i find a cheap original manifold on eBay that will make a sizeable difference over the 1970 non HP manifold i currently have installed).

firefighter3931

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 05, 2010, 10:55:20 AM
Ron, what makes that SPECIFIC one better than earliers or the laters stock units ?

Natcho,

The runners are slightly larger on the 70-71 4 bbl manifolds. Performance is close to the Edelbrock CH4B which was advertised as a performance manifold and available as an over the counter part through the Direct Connection program back in the day. The CH4B is still my favorite stock replacement manifold....better than the Eddy Performer/Wiend Stealth/Mopar M1 dual plane. It also works with the stock throttle and kickdown linkages....unlike the Performer RPM which requires a taller throttle bracket and a Kickdown cable setup.

The CH4B will easily support 500HP with the right parts....it moves lots of air yet maintains excellent torque at lower engine speeds due to the dual plane design. The 383-400 lowdeck version is also an excellent piece and much better than any factory (383-400) manifold. The lowdeck model is a DP4B  :2thumbs:

The stock 70-71 (440 4bbl) manifold can make similar power to the CH4B but is more restrictive and you would have to work harder to achieve that goal. On a good working combo there's 25-30hp difference between the two.

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: miller on January 05, 2010, 12:28:51 PM

So  in 1970, does the HP manifold flow better than the non HP manifold? Does a 1969 HP manifold flow better than a 1970 Non HP manifold? I'm just trying to find the right path to go (can i find a cheap original manifold on eBay that will make a sizeable difference over the 1970 non HP manifold i currently have installed).

Honestly, i've never seen a non HP manifold....as far as i know all 70-71 4bbl intakes were the same....whether they came on a 350hp 440 Chrysler or a 375hp 440 Dodge/Plymouth.

Ron

Nacho-RT74

mmm, so if 70/71s are in that way, then the spreadbore ones ( laters ) should it be at least close to those, right ?

the deal with CH4B/DP4B is they are squarebore shaped so needs adaptors for spreadbores, and not provision for choke, I mean if you plan on same regular street and driver use

( sorry, I KNOW I'm highjacking miller, but learning ;D )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

OH, and the location for rear A/C bracket doesn't match due the diff coil position on CH4B/DP4B

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 05, 2010, 04:10:51 PM
OH, and the location for rear A/C bracket doesn't match due the diff coil position on CH4B/DP4B
One of the reasons Im going back to the stock 69 intake :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 05, 2010, 04:05:17 PM
mmm, so if 70/71s are in that way, then the spreadbore ones ( laters ) should it be at least close to those, right ?

the deal with CH4B/DP4B is they are squarebore shaped so needs adaptors for spreadbores, and not provision for choke, I mean if you plan on same regular street and driver use

( sorry, I KNOW I'm highjacking miller, but learning ;D )

The spreadbore manifolds are not very good....very restrictive. The 70-71 manifolds are not spreadbore so you would need an adapter to run a thermoquad. Not an issue for me because i'm not a thermoquad fan....Holley is all i'll ever run.  ;)

The CH4B & DP4B are std bore intake manifolds as well....

Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Just for shitz & giggles will my Holley fit on a 69 manifold or am I opening yet ANOTHER can of worms?????

Sorry for the hijack!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 06, 2010, 04:54:08 PM
Just for shitz & giggles will my Holley fit on a 69 manifold or am I opening yet ANOTHER can of worms?????

Sorry for the hijack!!

Yep....it'll work with the Holley. You might have to use your 1/2in spacer which is a good idea anyway to keep fuel temps down.  ;)

Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Ron.....the one in the pic I posted I won off ebay for $15.....it weighs 3x that amount!!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T