News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Degreeing cams with heads on

Started by Ghoste, January 05, 2010, 04:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know the proper way to do it is with the heads off and the couple of times I have degrees a cam, this is the way I've done it.  But am I giving up anything by trying it with the heads on?

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ghoste

That's what I'm asking I guess.  I do have an adjustable positive stop that I've used for other things.  Any reason I can't stick that in the cylinder bring the piston up to it, check the reading on the degree wheel and then rotate the opposite direction and divide the difference to establish TDC or will that be too inaccurate?

John_Kunkel

Most of the cams I've degreed in were with the heads installed, as long as you know for sure where TDC is it's no problem.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Would it be correct to establish it the way I mentioned or would taking up any slack in the chain by rotating in the opposite direction negate that effort?

mauve66

i know people that have feed some nylon rope into the #1 plug hole and then did the full stop one way then the full stop the other then divide by 2, then to verify that it is the #1 stroke and not the #6 stroke they checked the valvestems, i was told they have to BOTH be slightly loose @ TDC,  these people seem to have no problems but again that is 2nd hand info from what they TELL me.
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on January 05, 2010, 06:31:04 PM
That's what I'm asking I guess.  I do have an adjustable positive stop that I've used for other things.  Any reason I can't stick that in the cylinder bring the piston up to it, check the reading on the degree wheel and then rotate the opposite direction and divide the difference to establish TDC or will that be too inaccurate?

Yep....done it several times and works like a charm. A threaded piston stop in the plug hole does the job !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

That's exactly what I have Ron.  It threads in there and then another threads into that and has a locknut for when you get it set where you want.