News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head Gasket, will it make a differance

Started by BBKNARF, January 01, 2010, 10:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBKNARF

I love taking my car to the track and just pound on it down the 1/4 mile, I love making changes and tweeking the motor just to go faster I want to know if its worth changing the head gasket. Right now I'm using a fel-pro 0.039 thick gasket with a static compression ratio of 10.64, a friend of mine gave me a new set of Cometic steel gasket 0.027 thick and will bump up the s.c. ratio to approx. 10.95,
So I just want to know from some of the pros out there will the car be a 10th faster from this change only ?
Thank you.

Frank
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Cooter

Aluminum heads? If not, pushin' it on pump gas...OR, you could try the Mopar Stock "Steel shim" that's only .019 Compressed....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Personally, i would leave it alone....that's not enough of an increase to make any significant change in power, inmho.  :Twocents:

There's lot's of ET left on the table ; your 122mph is good for low 11.0's/high 10's  ;)

I would focus on the efficiency of the chassis and squeeze the most out of it before worrying about increased power.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BBKNARF

Yes, I'm using aluminum Eddy heads. Thanks for the tip guys. Nice looking motor Ron.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Cooter

Then, the Steel shim is out of the question...Yep, Like Ron, I'd leave it alone as well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"