News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Desktop Dyno5

Started by Purple440, December 31, 2009, 06:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

I was thinking of buying this software to play around with.  Any thoughts on this software? 
http://www.proracingsim.com/desktopdyno.htm

- Doug

Cooter

I musta gotten a hold of the first run of Desk Top Dyno, cause mine ain't worth two pinches of puppy Sh*t...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BBKNARF

A friend of mine had an old version softwere I think it was 2002, put in all your specs and it gives you H.P. and torque, 4 weeks later he took it to a shop with a dyno, and what a surprise only 10 H.P. off.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Cooter

Well, Mine will only allow for a certain kind of Cylinder head with of course, Chevy valve sizes and port configurations..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Cooter on December 31, 2009, 09:33:44 PM
Well, Mine will only allow for a certain kind of Cylinder head with of course, Chevy valve sizes and port configurations..

most of the newer programs will allow you to select exactly what valve size and exactly what flow rates of particular cylinder heads (if you know their exact flows that is) - I use Stan Weiss's information as he has compiled a great amount of flow charts and are available online.    :2thumbs:     I have done quite a few of board member's engine builds to gauge the accuracy of the software and it has never been more than 5% off either way.   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Cooter

This is good to hear as I wasn't all that impressed with Mine when they first came out...Does anybody here have one they'd let the members here try it out on their engine? I know, I know, you can't be "Dynoing" everybody's engines here, but I am kinda curious now...

A383Wing

I have the first version....pretty accurate on my engines

I made copies for members of the other forum

Ghoste

I have the same feelings as Cooter.  I don't think the program is a total waste but I found it limiting when trying to apply it to real life.  A fun toy for comparative purposes but not much more.  I know others have had great results with though.

greenpigs

I posted something similar and for $50 I think it is worth the investment. To me it is a way to compare cams, intakes etc. Of course it is not as accurate as a true dyno but for $50 what do you want? Now the drag racing software I think has way more unmeasurable variables and would be less real world. Once you get your best MPH at the track you have most of the info you need to figure the cars maximum potential. Back on the subject I think for the price I may step up and get the software, but only the dyno version. I 'll keep my bootleg copy of a drag racing simulator as that is good enough, since I can't tune like Ron.

A little cheaper at Summits at least the item, not sure about shipping. And don't forget the 10% off code listed in group buys.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-186011/?image=large
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Purple440

Yeah, just hoping for something somewhat accurate.  For $50 I don't expect perfection.  Just ordered it. 

Now I have something to do while my car sits in storage for 5 months out of the year.

HPP

I've used Dyno 2000 before and found it to be a valuable comparative tool for evaluating changes in a variety of different areas. I have noticed that the less accurate the inputs, the less accurate the results. For comaparitive analysis, once I dialed in the head flow numbers, I noticed it was much more accurate and with 5% of what my engines have dynoed at.

Ghoste

Garbage in- garbage out?  :lol:  I've certainly considered that in my case too when I've tried using it.