News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

World record car jump??

Started by Aussiemadonmopars, January 01, 2010, 09:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussiemadonmopars

I thought the jump in Dukes Of Hazzard was still the world record, maybe not now???

Travis Pastrana New Years Eve Rally Car Jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeBWeTXZTLM

FLG

Ken block held the record before him for rallye car jump.

bull

They both look pretty weak compared to the DOH jump. There was no nice and easy landing ramp in that DOH deal.

200MPH

Charger

Mike DC

The "world's biggest car jump" record is sort of like trying to declare what the fastest factory-built musclecar was.  There isn't a very firm answer because of all the variables on the specifics of the record.

For example: 

--  Are we counting car jumps with takeoff & landing ramps, or just takeoff ramps?  What about big long gradual ramps as opposed to steeper violent launches in "Dukes"?

--  Are we only counting jumps where the car landed cleanly, or does it still count if he made the distance but rolled the landing? 

--  Does it count if he landed in the water instead of a dry land hit?  What about landing on a field of catch-cars to soften the hit? 

--  What about rocket-propelled "cars" instead of regular passenger vehicles?  What about wings or other aero devices added onto cars? 

RTDaddy

Anyone recall how far the "rocket car jump" from "Hooper" was?

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

TruckDriver

Honestly, I didn't even know that the Duke's had the world record for a jump. When did they pull that one off? And video of it?  :shruggy:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Cooperman

It was very early in season one. It was shown in the opening credits of almost every episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt1citdSsb8

I think it was 275 feet?  :shruggy:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Cooperman

Actually it was 230ft by stuntman Al Wyatt Jr.
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Mike DC

QuoteAnyone recall how far the "rocket car jump" from "Hooper" was?

That one was unmanned from what I've heard.  
If you look carefully, it was a 'glass funnycar shell and not even a real F-body in the biggest shots.

-------------------------------------------------------

The General Lee's first train jump in about 1980 was the biggest on DOH (the "Grannie Annie" episode in season #2).  We'll never have an exact number but it was way over 200 feet.  

They actually attempted to do that jump again in 1983 during the last Vance & Coy episode.  But the car went slightly off course and got totally wadded up.  

For what it's worth I think the DOH jumps are in a different category than something like the rally car jumps.  A violent launch & landing in a truly production-car vehicle . . .  it's a totally different sport from what Travis Pastrana just did.  

I'm not dissing TP's jump but the physics are really different.  TP did something more like Evel Kenievel in a car.  It's dangerous stuff too, but it only hurts if it goes pretty bad.  Whereas the Dukes guys frequently climbed into those cars knowing damn well that they were gonna be swallowing painkillers that night even if everything went according to plan.

200MPH

i agree with everything being said . there is just no comparison of the Science involved plus the fact they are using a factory prepared race car vs. the General which was basically a street car with a roll cage to protect the driver.and some ballast..

what if the General was equally prepared as Tp's factory backed Subbie Rally Car?(lightened panels Full tube chassis, proper suspension)
Charger

Cooperman

My mistake Mike. I must have read somewhere that the Styx River jump was longest 'dirt to dirt'.

Ponch ®

Anyone remember "The Devil at Your Heels"? It's a documentary about a guy that tried to jump a river in a Lincoln back in the late 70's. It's pretty obscure, but back when I was a kid they used to show it late at night on the local TV stations in the "filler movie" time slot.

Here's a clip from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctVkZbcwA1E
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

200MPH

yeah i saw that on a Faces of death video :smilielol:
Charger

Mike DC

I never really got into those rocket-car & rocket-bike things.  If your desired landing involves a parachute then I don't see how it's much of a "jump" anymore.  

------------------------------------------

This is the one that really farts my brain.  I can't understand how he was picturing any non-lethal outcome in the first place.  He got out of it intact, but IMHO his survival was sheer stupid luck and not the result of the setup:  

(you can skip the first 30-40 seconds of the clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35AdXfTENVw

If he'd been going another 1 or 2 mph then he would have missed the last catch-car entirely and slammed right into the ground.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 03, 2010, 08:14:39 AMThis is the one that really farts my brain.  I can't understand how he was picturing any non-lethal outcome in the first place.  He got out of it intact, but IMHO his survival was sheer stupid luck and not the result of the setup:  

(you can skip the first 30-40 seconds of the clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35AdXfTENVw

If he'd been going another 1 or 2 mph then he would have missed the last catch-car entirely and slammed right into the ground.

What the hell was that?  Wasnt it obvious with the incline of the ramp that the car was going to flip upside down like that?...?? :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Mike DC

I don't think he minded flipping upside down.  I think he was probably just trying to come back to earth in any survivable condition at all.  Which he very barely even did.  Pure dumbassery IMHO.   

--------------------------------------------------------

This is one of my favorite jumps for actually completing the job.  Brian Carson went a little over 300 feet here and landed smooth as can be.  It's not a GL-realistic setup to the jump but he really sailed it nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK9rJuqy7F8

Aussiemadonmopars

For what it's worth I think the DOH jumps are in a different category than something like the rally car jumps.  A violent launch & landing in a truly production-car vehicle . . .  it's a totally different sport from what Travis Pastrana just did.  

I'm not dissing TP's jump but the physics are really different.  TP did something more like Evel Kenievel in a car.  It's dangerous stuff too, but it only hurts if it goes pretty bad.  Whereas the Dukes guys frequently climbed into those cars knowing damn well that they were gonna be swallowing painkillers that night even if everything went according to plan.
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of the un-assisted landing as well. What's in the Guiness records? Do they have different categories?

Bobs69

Guys, let's say I want to jump my 95 beretta in my neighbours field.  He has done it a few times.  How do I prep the car so it has the best chance of survival and flying level.  Would you believe I googled it and couldn't find anything!

The reason I want to do this is for a contest on Autotrader.ca, and the more I think of it the more obsessed I'm getting with it and I guess it's like the "bucket list".

MoparManJim

Guys, the Granny Annie Train jump on the Dukes was 230 feet, the Stixk River was very close of 300 feet. 

The General in Granny Annie was driven by Al. That car launch upwards and was like a ")"  over the train but the car landed at a driver side nose slant angle. Coming to a 230 some feet landing on the other side of the train.

The Stixk River jump General was driven by Gary, and it launch slightly upwards and outwards from a higher ground point. The car flew to around 299 feet to 300 feet before smacking the ground on the other side. That car came down on a slight pass side nose tilt. Meaning the car took on more damage in the front on the pass side. 

Now if the General in the Stixk River jump would have jump from original ground point like Al's jump did over the train. The car would have landed in the 230 feet area some where maybe 250 area to. But given the speed  :lol: and the higher up ground point for the jump to take place, it gave the car a more travel flight path to travel  :lol:.

Brock Lee

I looked up "Stixk River" and didn't find anything.

MoparManJim

Try looking up Santa Cleara River as that I do belive is the real name of that river. 

Mike DC

QuoteGuys, let's say I want to jump my 95 beretta in my neighbours field.  He has done it a few times.  How do I prep the car so it has the best chance of survival and flying level.  Would you believe I googled it and couldn't find anything!

The reason I want to do this is for a contest on Autotrader.ca, and the more I think of it the more obsessed I'm getting with it and I guess it's like the "bucket list".

I could suggest quite a few things. 

But it really all depends how big you wanna go, and how much you wanna plan & spend to control the variables and protect yourself.  How big of a jump are we talking about here?   Is there a takeoff ramp of some kind, crest of a hill, etc?  Do you plan on the car surviving the whole event, dying on the first try, or something in between?   

Bobs69

All four wheels have to leave the ground.  One foot high would be good enough.  But, my neighbours ramp that he already had set up is 10' long and 2 or so high.