News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

World record car jump??

Started by Aussiemadonmopars, January 01, 2010, 09:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

Going only 1 foot high off a 2-foot ramp?  That's gonna be interesting.  

Seriously, that height won't hurt you.  

Get a helmet of some kind, and a foam neck collar would be nice.  The pros wear knee/shin pads from a baseball catcher.  You want the headrest about as high up & close to your head as you can get it without it actually pushing your head out of position with the helmet on.  

Inflate the tires up to a good 35-40psi.  Make sure the battery is fastened down correctly.  Take all the unnecessary crap out of the trunk & interior.  (Trunk ballast is good in theory but it has to be fastened to the chassis to do its job right.  That's more elaborate.)  Make sure the gas tank is mostly empty.

You don't need much speed if you've got a ramp, maybe 30 mph tops.  It kinda depends on the car & ramp & situation, but I guarantee if you go 40-50 mph you'll get a whole lot more than you bargained for.  Cars are heavy and they don't stop moving as soon as you stop powering them forward.  

Of course wear your seatbelt.  Tuck your chin down.  You want your torso back against the seatback but don't give your head any farther to fling forwards than necessary.  Don't bite your tongue.  10:00 and 2:00 with your hands.  Keep all 10 of your thumbs & fingers tucked outside the steering wheel so the spokes won't whack any of your fingers if the steering wheel gets spun hard.  Start gassing the throttle just as you're reaching the ramp and power up it.  You don't really wanna be bracing yourself against the floor & steering wheel with your arms & legs all clenched tight, you wanna be letting the seatbelt do the work of holding your torso in place for the most part.  

Bobs69

Yeah I realize the stupidity in that last post.  I'm only interested in a foot.  But the ramp available happens to be 2 or 2.5 high.  So guess I'm going to route.

Bobs69

Ha you've done this before!  And yes my neighbour did it at about 70km/h so that equivalent to 40mph I believe and it was good enough.  I learned to respect 30mph as a teenager when me and my friends tried tobocanning behind a truck.

rp23g7

I actually jumped my car across a intersection once, a big C Body 64 Custom 880.

You Seattle/Bellevue guys will know where i am talking about.

In Bellevue Wa, there is a intersection at 140th and 24th, before they fixed it, around 1988, the intersection right hand lane going towards Bellevue, had a slight rise and a abrupt drop.   Enough of a drop where if you had a truck with a stiff suspension it would chirp the tire if you hit it just right as the drop kicked the rear end up.

Well there is a hill on the other side of the intersection that heads to Kirkland, pretty long hill too.  Me and my buddies were cruising one night and were coming down the hill.  Light turned yellow, i was already going about 50 down the hill, and could have stopped.  But i nailed the gas.  I knew about the drop off and remembered it just as the lights illuminated it.  I say "oh SH$#T"  Guy in the passenger seat says What?

We hit the rise and flew, i remember looking down at the ground coming up in front, and the front end hit and scrapped the bumper, and the rear slammed down.  The dude in back flew up and hit the rear window frame and cut his head. I kept it straight and controlled it.

I turned around and went to a Texaco station that was on the corner, the kid comes running out and says a cleard the whole intersection and must have been 3 feet in the air.

I went over and looked and saw my scrapes and tire marks on the other side, i think i actually did clear the intersection.  Great fun

mopar73

Bobs69

I tried looking up the Santa Clarita river, no go.  Anyhow I finally found it.  Google Indian Dunes then look for the Sata Clarita river.

here it is.

http://users.telenet.be/roadmaster/dukesofhazzard_locations.htm