News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody collect old "hot rodding" albums?

Started by Ghoste, December 29, 2009, 11:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I'm talking about the old lp's that were things like soundtracks from a national drag race in the mid 60's.  What about other old car songs and hot rodding albums?

Aero426

Most of these are Sounds of Sebring albums which are a broadcast type of recording of the 12 Hour endurance race in Florida.  These were put out by a company called Riverside Records which did a whole series of them up into the early 1960's.   Most of these have been repopped on CD.  There was no TV coverage of sports car racing at this time, so you had these, or you read about it in a magazine.  Most of these are very good with pitside interviews during the race of the superstars of the day.

Cuban Corners was recorded at a major sports car race in Havana in 1957.  It is just the sounds of different cars running.    Same with the Firecracker 400 album.   There is no narration.  It's just background of stock cars going around Daytona.    The album cover is the best part of this one.

Ghoste

Never knew about the road racing ones.  Has there been one company reissuing them on cd or is it several?

71ChallengeHer

My Dad use to have 1 from CA when he was in the service. My step-mom sold it at a yard sale.  :brickwall: I saw some from US30 Dragstrip , These are pretty cool  :2thumbs:  http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/thehistoryof/mopp_0603_mopar_vinyl_records/index.html

maxwellwedge

I have a cool tape of a match race - Mr. Norm vs the Ramchargers. It was originally a record that was later recorded on to a cassette. Do I tell you who won? The drag strip promoter later confessed to Mr. Norm that the lights were rigged in favor of the Ramchargers....it didn't help!

Chatt69chgr

I don't collect them but have two called "The Big Sounds of the Drags" Vol 1 & 2. 

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 30, 2009, 08:31:56 PM
Never knew about the road racing ones.  Has there been one company reissuing them on cd or is it several?

Green Mountain Motorbooks should have the Sounds of Sebring records on CD.   If you want one real good one, 1962 is excellent and entertaining.      

www.vtmotorbooks.com     You probably need to email them and ask what they have in stock.  I have seen them in their booth when they come to Road America for the vintage races.

Ghoste

I have that Mr. Norm versus the Ramchargers one on cd.

maxwellwedge

Ghoste

A few other Mr. Norm ones too but they are mostly old radio spots.  I imagine you have them already if anybody does.

maxwellwedge

Funny enough - I never got around to getting those.  :'(