News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What has to be done to change shift points on a 727 tranny on 69 Roadrunner?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, January 17, 2010, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

I have a torque flight 727 in my 69 Roadunner with 3.91 gears, and soon will be putting in a new dynamic 9.5 inch street/strip converter along with a Transgo TF 2 shift kit in my 727 tranny.  

I want to adjust my shift point for the car to shift around 6200 rpm and currently it shifs around 5300 rpm.  I am not a mechanic but I would think that some adjustment needs to be made to the the tranny itself to change the shift points on a tf 727 B-Body Mopar.

How exactly does one change the shift points, as a local mechanic told me it is done by changing the length of the throttle cable (or something like that not positive exactly what he said) but it had nothing to do with going inside the 727 tranny itself so now I am curious how this is done?

Thanks in advance.  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

RD

simply:

http://www.aandatrans.com/Departments/Chrysler-727-Trans/Governor-Kits.aspx

*edit* guess i should explain more

this will raise your shift point, but dependent upon throttle pressure and your placement of the accelerator pedal due to pressure placed upon it by said foot at different driving conditions will truly determine where your vehicle shifts at.

i.e.  governor kits get you in the ball park if all things are equal, but each driver drives differently so shift points are relative to the driver and trans mods.

jk may chime in on this as he has messed with governors alot more than i have, but these puppies are made for specific tolerances.  any "shade tree" modifications can cause "booms".
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1Bad70Charger

Great info and link RD!  :cheers:

Simpleton question for someone who has no knowledge on this topic  :lol: where does this governor get installed (inside the tranny I would assume)? 
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

TylerCharger69

Ummmm.....The govenor's mansion?........lol.....sorry...I couldn't resist!!! :smilielol:

RD

the governor is located on the output shaft of the transmission and can be replaced by removing the tailshaft housing.  there is a "pin" that is secured by two "e" clips as the entire governor assembly consists of 5 components (9 including clips).  You remove governor by removing the snap ring and the "e" clip that is located on the pin retaining the governor.  The governor assembly will then slide out of the governor housing (or mansion according to tyler :D ) and you can put the new one in using reverse order.

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1Bad70Charger

John_Kunkel

Keep in mind that if you want both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts to occur at a certain rpm the governor kit might not accomplish it by itself, in many cases you'll also need the addition of different springs under the shift valves.

IOW, the 6000+ kit might shift 1-2 at 6000 and the 2-3 at 6300, in this case a stiffer spring is needed for the 1-2 shift valve to delay its shift.

Why not just manually shift at the rpm you want and save money and hassle?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 18, 2010, 05:43:21 PM
Keep in mind that if you want both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts to occur at a certain rpm the governor kit might not accomplish it by itself, in many cases you'll also need the addition of different springs under the shift valves.

IOW, the 6000+ kit might shift 1-2 at 6000 and the 2-3 at 6300, in this case a stiffer spring is needed for the 1-2 shift valve to delay its shift.

Why not just manually shift at the rpm you want and save money and hassle?

Certainly could do that and will do that at times, but easier to screw up with manual shifting with the stock column shifter on my 69 Roadrunner (and no rev limiter)!  :brickwall:

Cooter

MSD 6 AL with rev limiter....Set the pill at 6000 And shift it manually... :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

375instroke

I'm sure that the Trans-Go kit will do something to the shift points.  As the governor rotates faster and faster, as the output shaft increases in speed, this moves the weights outward against the springs in it.  This causes the governor pressure to increase.  This speed/pressure relationship can only be changed by changing governor weights or springs.  Lighter weights or stronger springs would decrease the pressure relative to the RPM.  The throttle pressure is controlled by linkage connected to the carb.  If you lengthen the linkage, you will increase the throttle pressure relative to the throttle position.  Inside the valve body, there are shuttle valves that direct pressure to the various servos that shift the transmission.  Governor pressure acts on one side of these valves, and throttle pressure on the other, so you can see that the one with the greatest pressure wins.  Light throttle pressure on one side is overcome sooner as the governor pressure increases, and causes the trans to shift earlier than if you floored the pedal.  The linkage can only be increased so long in length, however, and the valve in the transmission that it acts upon can bottom out before you achieve the RPM point that you desire.  With the shift kit, the line pressure, throttle pressure, and perhaps the governor pressures, will all change from stock.  I know that there is an adjustment on the valve body for the throttle valve and line pressure.  Trans-Go has you adjust them to their specifications.  I've never looked at how the internal throttle pressure adjustment affects things.

1Bad70Charger