News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you ever let anyone else drive your car?

Started by Ghoste, December 28, 2009, 02:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do others drive your classic?

Sure, it's just a car.
5 (6.2%)
No, it's about like asking to sleep with my wife (or husband or whatever).
24 (29.6%)
Sometimes, depends on the person.
52 (64.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Ghoste

I've had some old cars that I didn't care much who drove them but on looking back I have to say that most of my musclecars I tend to be a little protective of.  Certainly you can't just toss the keys to anyone the government says is an officially okayed driver but I have a lot of friends who have cars that are more valuable and/or more powerful than mine and I don't let them drive either.  Typical behaviour?

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

greenpigs

Well my dad took the Charger around the block once...he said he wasn't so sure I was ready for it yet, plus it wasn't running 100% then either. Years later I asked the wife if she wanted to drive it but she didn't like the idea of having to shift. It has a manual valve body and is loud and she couldn't be more of a stereotypical woman.
   Most other people just want to run the crap out of it and well they can buy one of their own for that. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

b5blue

Steve the guy I bought it from and Chuck who helped with the motor build, both are highly trained mechanics with there own company's, who also race. (I will be TRAINING my sons next year though) Good Question!  :2thumbs:

nh_mopar_fan

My wife once had to move my 67. She can't see over the steering wheel, had to look through it. She wants no part of it.

moparsons

My wife says my dart is big, loud, and smelly.  :smilielol: and doesn't want to drive it. i have one friend i would let drive it, but he's never asked.

Finn

I have one friend who I completely trust with my cars. He's been a major help with the restoration. Apart from that, family is about it at the moment.
I think Ill let a couple more drive it eventually, but it depends on the person and the situation. Id like to help spark the interest for the next generation.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Aero426

I've let people I trust drive my cars while I sit shotgun.    These are people who I know would not do something stupid.  

WHITE AND RED 69

For most people I would have to be in the car while they drive it. I do like to see peoples faces when I let them get behind the wheel of a REAL car. There is only one or two people I let drive it if I am not in it and thats only because I know if they break something they would fix it. But most of the time I dont let very many people drive it, I dont like to be in the passenger seat of my own car.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

FLG

It all depends on the person.

When i fist bought my car i let my buddy drive it around that day, and a few other times after.

The better half drove it a few blocks but didnt like the fact that my gas pedal is a little stiff.

Ive also let a maybe 2 other friends and my pops drive it, but neither went very far. I dont like riding shotgun in my own car and i will never trust anyone with it alone.

Tilar

I can count on one hand the number of times I've let anyone other than a wife or my son drive my cars in the last 36 years...
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

charger Downunder

When i first bought my car i wasn't old enough to get a drivers license my father well i couldn't get him out of it he drove it every day. My mother drove it once when i had food poisoning it was a 100 mile trip.
One interresting thing is i have been married for 14 years and my wife has never ever been in the charger,come to think of it i don't think she has ever touched it, my three kids love it.
[/quote]

68coronetGLwannabe

I let my wife and 17yr old drive my 68 Coronet to shows while I drive the Charger. My son helped work on the Coronet so its only fair I let him enjoy it. Plus the smile on his face is priceless  :icon_smile_big: . I also have one friend I trust to drive the 69 GL. He also has a GL and I think he loves that car more than his wife!
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Manfred318

Dad drives the Charger on occasion and we kinda share the Dart. Mom has driven the Charger twice and hated it. She says its too big, like driving a yacht on the open rd. I really dont trust anyone else with driving my stuff.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ITSA426

I've been known to let other people drive them.  Moparstuart's 16 year old drove my '67 Coronet convertible to a show last spring.  I was more concerned about my 14 year old niece riding with him because she doesn't get to ride in cars alone with boys.  Most of the people I've met in the hobby are pretty good and the experience is priceless.

Jim Rodebaugh let my son take his red 528 hemi Charger convertible into town to pick up my, then, girlfriend from the Boerne Charger meet while my son was still a teenager.  It took days for the smile to wear away.

Insure them well and enjoy the hobby.  Kids won't forget the good times.  Friendships should outlast the cars.

Mefirst

Over here its kinda "tabu" to ask if one can test drive someones old american car. I dont know why, but you just dont ask that.. Personaly I have never asked if I can test drive any of my friends musclecars and nobody has ever asked me if they can test drive my Charger.

If a friend/person I trust asked me, I would let them drive it... but I dont know I would ever say to someone.. -There are the keys, take it for a drive....

/Tom

66chargerkid

Quote from: ITSA426 on December 28, 2009, 06:12:30 PM
I've been known to let other people drive them.  Moparstuart's 16 year old drove my '67 Coronet convertible to a show last spring.  I was more concerned about my 14 year old niece riding with him because she doesn't get to ride in cars alone with boys.  Most of the people I've met in the hobby are pretty good and the experience is priceless.

Jim Rodebaugh let my son take his red 528 hemi Charger convertible into town to pick up my, then, girlfriend from the Boerne Charger meet while my son was still a teenager.  It took days for the smile to wear away.

Insure them well and enjoy the hobby.  Kids won't forget the good times.  Friendships should outlast the cars.
Hey now I did very well. It made it home safe LMAO.
And I even cleaned it  :2thumbs:

jaak

My bother in law asked the other day to drive the 73....I sorta changed the subject and didnt let him. Im a little more particular with the charger....Its the only vehicle I take the keys out of and lock up. There's an 02 intrepid, 99 neon and a 01 S-10 sitting in the driveway now all with keys in the ignition, anyones welcome to borrow/drive them...not the Charger.

Jason

hemigeno

I've let (actually sorta had to insist with some) others drive the Hemicar.  My friends who have as much respect as I do for what these cars are would probably be more cautious than I when driving, so why not?

71ChallengeHer

I let 2 of my 5 brothers drive the Chally. I don't trust the other 3.  ::)  I let my friend Eric drive it, sometimes if I don't feel like driving. Eric has a beautiful 68 Dart GTS so I trust him.  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Too much possibility of an "oopsie" and then I'd have to kill a MoFo....Even IF we's friends....Friends have enough respect for friends sh*t, so friends no btter than to ask to "Drive" your ride.....

Most times when I'm offered to "test Drive" a friends high powered car (1987 Mustang LX, 331 Cu.In. putting out 1400 HP to the rear wheels), I'll politely decline and say something like "I can't afford to wreck my own sh*t Scott, let alone yours!"

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69bronzeT5

My dad has driven my Duster and so has his girlfriend. I was in the car when his girlfriend was driving. My dad's driven it alone but I've been behind him in my old Jeep.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ITSA426

Quote from: 66chargerkid on December 28, 2009, 06:29:32 PM
Quote from: ITSA426 on December 28, 2009, 06:12:30 PM

Hey now I did very well. It made it home safe LMAO.
And I even cleaned it  :2thumbs:

Q you did great - and wasn't it a fun day?  Kaylynn was worn out and badly sunburned at the end but it was still a good day.  And I got the car cleaned.

mikesbbody

Only people I trust  :yesnod: once I let someone take it without me (a good friend who I trust 100%) but normally i'm there sitting beside them.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on December 28, 2009, 06:34:32 PM
I've let (actually sorta had to insist with some) others drive the Hemicar.  My friends who have as much respect as I do for what these cars are would probably be more cautious than I when driving, so why not?

the hemi taxi
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

quintin has driven the birdible like three times , all on the speedway lol  no LIE     KANSAS SPEEDWAY , MARTINSVILLE VA , AND GATEWAY ST LOUIS

AT MARTINSVILLE IT WAS FULL TILT

miller

When the charger had a 318 in it I let a lot of my friends drive it (it probably had 100 horse, 0-60 in ten seconds). Now it has the 440 its mine and mine alone, well my father drives it from time to time, but it is just too much to lend out anymore.

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Skinypete

I would let anyone drive my charger at this point, as long as you push it back up the hill to my house when done.  :smilielol:
DJMIII

ChgrSteve67

there is a very short list of people I would let drive any of my cars.

And the people on that list would not ask me unless someone was dying. > ME <

BB1

Delete my profile

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

dstryr

One brother has driven both my RR and my 69 Judge, the other brother only the Judge so far.  I had a friend over to help r&r the 4speed and tossed him the keys when we were done.  He didn't want anything to do with it but another friend will help with a motor swap in the RR this spring and I don't think he'll turn down a chance to drive it afterwards. :2thumbs:  If my friends are good enough to help me work on the car then they're good enough to take it for a spin.  I would worry more about my junk breaking down on them than them having an accident. :lol:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Dans 68

Absolutely, but they have to pass muster first. My wife has driven my '68 stick, and my sis-in-law is welcome to drive any of them. She used to own the '73 and drove a '69 Bee through college. She can drive (and has the tickets to prove it).  :rofl:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ITSA426

My son would occasionally call me from a car show to tell me he had my four speed hemi car.  My kid brother asks but would take one if I'm not here to say no.  I wouldn't object.  They are just cars.  Our kids and nephews have grown up with them.  My son was driving one of my '66's to high school ten years ago, and now he owns it.  It's not much of a hobby if you can't share it with people.

NYCMille

Abso-freakin-lutely! In my humble opinion every red blooded American male should get a chance to mash the gas on a big block American Muscle Car. Besides, what the joy in ownership if you can't share it with others?  :Twocents:

So yes, I let most everyone drive my car if I like them.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: NYCMille on December 29, 2009, 02:50:24 PM
Abso-freakin-lutely! In my humble opinion every red blooded American male should get a chance to mash the gas on a big block American Muscle Car. Besides, what the joy in ownership if you can't share it with others?  :Twocents:

damn i missed my chance    :smilielol: :smilielol:

dstryr

Only exception to that thought is that not every red blooded American male will know how to act with big hp cars that have 500-600hp or more at their disposal. :o   I'll be much more stingy with offering up the keys when my new motor is in. ;D
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

motorcitydak

Nope, I will be the only one behind the wheel. I almost never let anyone drive my truck either. My mom had to one day and I left her a 2 page note telling her what to do and what to expect, she had to drive it 4 miles...
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Charger RT

I bought my 68 in 85 from my little brother and let it sit until 2000. I got it running and since then my wife is the only one to drive it besides me. She is also the only one since then to get pulled over. No ticket he just wanted to look at it or her.

Now when my brother owned it (80-85) he let our mom and brother drive it as well as me. Mom thought the clutch was to stiff.
Tim

Belgium R/T -68

Besides the wife, only friends who has experience from simular cars. Sometimes it's necessary if you have several cars that has to go to a show.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

elacruze

My girlfriend will drive mine, she declined before the restoration but 'because it's more fun to ride while you drive'.
She'll drive when it's out, because we'll be putting on a lot of miles.
Otherwise, I've tossed the keys to about 3 people in the past, but I don't want to ride while someone else drives-If I trust them enough to drive at all, I trust them to do it without me. I don't want to see any accidents first hand.  :eek2:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

66chargerkid

Come back to Kansas. Please?  :cheers:

General_01

I have let my Dad, brother-in-law, cousin's, Uncle's, nephews and friend's get behind the wheel of my mopars. Heck, Paul(Pocketthunder) has driven both my cars. I am still waiting for my turn with his. :icon_smile_big: Like Lee says, it's no fun if you can't share the experience with family and friends. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Rolling_Thunder

I only let my best friend Amanda drive my Charger...      :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

skip68

:-\   It all depends on who it is...   I've let CB drive my car and would let Mike or Dan or a few others because I know they have one and would respect it.   Then again, when Cody comes down for M.A.T.S. he is going to drive the piss out of my car.   I plan on getting some pictures of him smoking my tires.    :icon_smile_big:   I'm sure he will post them.   Far as letting anyone drive the answer is no.   Only the select few.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

FLG

Quote from: skip68 on December 31, 2009, 01:27:39 AM
:-\   It all depends on who it is...   I've let CB drive my car and would let Mike or Dan or a few others because I know they have one and would respect it.   Then again, when Cody comes down for M.A.T.S. he is going to drive the piss out of my car.   I plan on getting some pictures of him smoking my tires.    :icon_smile_big:   I'm sure he will post them.   Far as letting anyone drive the answer is no.   Only the select few.   

Ill let you drive the car the Hemi goes in that Jeff gave me  :2thumbs:

flyinlow

The Charger has been a a project with my youngest son. He helped assemble the 440, did most of the grungy work on the on the chassie and wore out a couple of hundred sheets of sandpaper before we painted it. So......

The Charger went to the Senior prom, to High School on his last day and Graduation.  

It survived, so did I.

skip68

Good job dad.    :cheers:     As for Frank,  :rotz:  you suck... :nana:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

G-man

Anyone that can drive I guess... and those Anyones are my wife/friends and family. Random guy I dont even know "hey can I drive your car?".... erm....  :slap:

I voted "sure its just a car"

If you are capable to drive and I know you cause you are a friend... have a go, no problem.

8WHEELER

Nobody but my wife and I have driven my car in ten years, I have had several Friends
drive it in the 32 years I have had it. But after I had it painted ten years ago, you
kind of thin out the crowd.

But I let my wife drive it in a heart beat, she is less likely to never get a speeding ticket
''unlike me''  :icon_smile_big: and she has her own 68 RT Charger so  :shruggy:  she has keys.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

1969chargerrtse

So far only me, but I would let a best friend take a go at it if the car was as special to him as it is to me.  I would love to see what it looks like cruising down the road from a  view outside the car.  :coolgleamA:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

CB

People can drive my Chager if they know how to drive it.
Some good guys here in Belgium have a ticket for smoking some rubber as soon as she is back on the road :yesnod:

Skip drove my car around in Vegas, Mike tested it out, Dan68 drove her to the MATS. I asked Ponch but he bailed out :icon_smile_blackeye:
 :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 30, 2009, 09:26:01 PM
I only let my best friend Amanda drive my Charger...      :2thumbs:

That's not Amanda hug 'n kiss I hope....   :nana: