News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how to reply to stuff

Started by Demonhead, December 28, 2009, 02:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demonhead

Sorry to be stupid here but how do you reply to listings in the classifies, etc. There is no button for replys unless you want to send an email or private email. Where is the general reply button? I cant even find one in this category (General Q&A)

Bob

In the classifieds, in order to keep the clutter and train wrecks to a minimum, you will have to PM the seller/buyer. Also keeps it more organized.
Bob

From Troy: Administrator

The Classified sections are provided to the community as a way for members to buy/sell/trade cars, parts, and just about anything else of interest. The goal is to help members find what they are missing or to unload what they don't need. These sections are not discussion forums so all comments, criticisms, and irrelevant posts will be removed. With that in mind, here are a few tips for posting an ad:
1. Provide some sort of contact information. This would normally seem obvious but it's often overlooked. You don't want to make life difficult for the person trying to buy your items OR for the person who may have that elusive part you've been searching for. Recommended methods of contact include email, phone, or private message through the site but be sure to state which one you prefer.
2. Provide as much detail as possible whether selling or buying. This greatly improves your chances of buying/selling and cuts down on the amount of questions you'll have to answer.
3. List a price or budget. For the same reason as above, you don't want to waste anyone's time - including your own. If you don't have a specific price in mind then try to come up with a range or specifically state that you don't have a set price.
4. When selling, provide pictures if possible because you'll likely get bombarded with picture requests if you don't. It's easier to upload them once than to email them 50 times.
5. Classified ads are removed on a regular basis. Most ads are available for 60 days after the last update. Keep this in mind of you've been looking for a long time or trying to sell for a while. Update your ads and the timer starts over. If the item is no longer for sale or you've found what you were looking for then please update your ad or notify a moderator so it can be removed.

Thanks,
Troy

Ghoste

The reply option was removed early in the life of the site because we don't all play nice together.  (read that as most replies to for sale ads consisted of people telling the seller what a moron he was for asking so much etc. etc.)

hemigeno

One of the best (and funniest) explanations about why that's the case is from our fearless leader Troy himself:

Quote from: Troy on January 28, 2007, 12:18:02 PM
The decision had absolutely nothing to do with bandwidth, "clutter", hard drive space, or trying to cut down on chatter. It had everything to do with people who can't manage to behave. I was tired of deleting posts, locking threads, posting warning after warning after warning, and losing members. From a different perspective, many ads went something like this:
Seller: I have something for sale
Response1: Location? Price?
Response2: Will it fit XXXX?
Seller: I'm in Sometown. Asking $$$$. Email me@someplace.com or phone ########
Response3: You're on crack if you think it's worth that much.
Response4: I have one in better condition for sale.
Response5: Really? How much?
Seller: Why don't you start your own ad. My price is firm.
Response6: What a rusty pile.
Response7: I bought one just like it for $3 in 1983.
Response8: I never pay more than $10 but I'd give you <some price around 1/100th of the asking price>.
Response9: My uncle had one but it was blue.
Seller: Still for sale.
Response10: Is it still for sale?
Response11: Is this item still for sale? How much? Where are you located?
Seller: Price lowered to $$$. Must sell.
Response12: Price gouger. You're an &*(*&$ if you think you can get that much.
Response13: This isn't Barrett Jackson, get real.
Response14: <brings up an exchange between self and seller from 5 years ago> Hey jerk why do you sell your junk somewhere else.
Seller: You never paid deadbeat. On top of that you expected free shipping on an engine, 4 bumpers, and a frame rail. This guy is a fraud!
Response15: I still hate you.
Response16: I only paid $5 for the one on my Ford. You rich guys and flippers are ruining our hobby!
Seller: Screw you guys, I'm going somewhere else.
Response17: Is it still for sale?

In between that mess I get three PMs from the seller complaining about the rude responses, three PMs from buyers who think the seller is rude, four reported posts from random readers of the ad, and then the seller responds to someone else's post in a rude manner because *I* allowed it to happen to him, which sets of another round of PMs and reported posts. Don't forget to add in the "trolls" who only post to insult others and sellers who are "one post wonders" and it becomes a full time job. I do NOT have the time or energy to babysit. Frankly, I shouldn't have to but it's obvious that many adults are hardly "grown up".

Sellers are supposed to post contact information. I can enforce that so there is a means of communication for every ad. I can't imagine why someone would post an ad with no contact information whatsoever and still expect to sell anything - but they do. Of course, these are usually the same people who complain incessantly about how selling parts here "sucks". Sellers are still allowed to update, modify, and respond to their own ads so they have the ability to mark it as sold or ask one of the moderators to delete it. Buyers still have the ability to ask questions - just not in the ad. If the seller would update the ad as more information is available then the only thing missing are the public responses - which are what caused all the problems in the first place. Honestly, whenever I see a good deal on something I want I contact the seller directly via phone or email right then. There's no value in waiting for them to respond to an ad if it's something I really need/want because their response will usually be that the item is sold. Maybe that's just me.

As for traffic, the Classifieds sections fall at or near the bottom of the list in views, threads, and posts. As much as I hate the comparison, Moparts manages to list about 100 times more classified ads and they strictly enforce their "contact information required" and "classifieds are NOT discussion forums" rules so it can (and does) work. Their ads have a much shorter lifespan as well.

The Classifieds have been a thorn in my side for the last three years at least. They are one of the largest sources of complaints (buyers and sellers). However, I do think they are a valuable part of the site or they'd have disappeared a long time ago. There are few "automatically" enforceable rules because they are part of the forum (ie. I can't have the software determine if an ad has contact information - I have to personally look at every one). It is possible - and probable - that the classifieds will change again. One of my goals is to move the classifieds to their own software which will make them more like true classified ads such as craigslist, AutoTrader, etc. The software can enforce posting rules and time limits without me spending 4-5 hours per week on it.

As far as what "we" owe "our" members, well, that's an interesting statement. *I* honestly don't feel that *I* owe anything to anyone. Maybe that sounds a wee bit conceited or arrogant but... this site exists for the exchange of information and to provide a community for people with a common interest. At this time, this site is solely funded and maintained by me. I have a tremendous amount of help from the other moderators and they all volunteer their time as well. I do this (and I think the others do too) because I really enjoy it and I think that it is important for the owners/fans of these cars to have a place where they can find information, help, support, and even new friends. So, it's more likely that "we" owe the moderators some common courtesy and try to make their jobs as hassle-free as possible so they can enjoy all of the other great things that come with being part of the community.

I'm open to suggestions on how to make it better AND less of a hassle.

Troy

There's more information on your question in this thread, which is where I got the excerpt above:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23781.0/all.html

carolina charger

And you need to be logged in to reply in the general questions forum. If you are not logged in the reply button will be missing from the menu.

Nacho-RT74

and now this need to be moved to HELP DESK Section LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Demonhead

Thanks everyone. I understand. I just thought I was missing something or not doing something correctly.

hemigeno

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 28, 2009, 08:24:52 PM
and now this need to be moved to HELP DESK Section LOL

Which is where it is headed...

G-man

After reading all those responses....
:rofl:  :smilielol: :lol:

Should have  moved that to 'lighter side of things'. Thats funny   :smilielol: :lol:

MoparManJim

Quote from: G-man on December 31, 2009, 02:27:38 AM
After reading all those responses....
:rofl:  :smilielol: :lol:

Should have  moved that to 'lighter side of things'. Thats funny   :smilielol: :lol:

If it gets to light.... it will float!  :smilielol: