News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SCORE!

Started by Rolling_Thunder, December 28, 2009, 01:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

So most of you do not know / care about the lowly 318 Poly - but I have grown fond of that little engine...    so my Vert 66 Satty has one but I'm not fond of 2bbls on anything...    so I have been on a quest to find a single bbl intake manifold for about a year now...    I find them every so often but they are expensive! ($400-$600) -

This brings us to today...    surfed Craigslist and found "Weiand Mopar intake manifold" - opened it up and it listed Weiand 7503 - the 4bbl aluminum single plane intake that was discontinued a while ago...   

I drove down to SD and got her in my hands before I got too excited...     so...   5 hours of my times (3 major accidents on the I-5) and a couple dollars later...    I am a happy camper...   

P.S. It only cost $50.00    :D :coolgleamA: :yesnod:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

Congratulations!   :2thumbs:
And I knew and cared about the polyspheres and your quest to do right by them. :icon_smile_wink:

skip68

:cheers: :2thumbs:  Cool.   Those engines are big blocks right ?   $50. = damn good score.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

Closer in many ways to the smallblock V8's we are more familiar with than the bigblocks.  They were originally meant to become the cheaper alternative to the Hemi.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0805sr_vintage_engines/index.html

skip68

:2thumbs:  Thanks for the link.  That intake was a KILLER score....   Those are cool motors. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

y3chargerrt

Damn I need to start checking Craigslist.

Cooter

The 318 "A" Engine (Poly) Is a Small Block Chrysler engine..The "LA" Engine stood for "Lighter A" engine...Mopar Muscle Mag. did a stroker build up of one of these engines...It ended up at around 402 C.I....
Used a 4" Mopar stroker crank designed for the "LA" 318. Custom pistons, cam, and other assorted parts..Highly ported heads etc...
The Poly's share almost everything in the short block with the "LA" 318's....
You CANNOT run Poly heads on an "LA" 318 and Vise Versa as the cams are different with valve arrangements....
This engine while Different and "Trick" to some only made 402 HP after spending around $7000.00 on the build up..The 1957 Fury as well as the 1958 BASE Fury engine and the "Power Pack" option came with Dual WCFB carb's and a Single AFB respectively....These engines came in different flavors from 277"-326" (Dodge).....The Single Four CAST iron factory intakes do run around $600-$1000.00 for the complete set up for a Power Pack single four...
The Dual Four Complete Set up I've seen get all the way to $2500.00 At it's peak...Complete with the Carb's and Oval Air Cleaners...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RD

good score RT... cant wait to see pics of her on the engine.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

I don't think I would go as far as to say that almost everything on the short block interchanges between the Poly's and wedge smallblocks.  According to the info I have the only parts that interchange are main and rod bearings, timing set (chain and gears), valve springs, oil pump driveshaft and distributor.  Is there more than this?

Sublime/Sixpack

Rolling_Thunder, nice going on the purchase of the Weiand intake for your Poly 318. I too share your fondness for the old Poly, glad to hear that you kept it in your Plymouth instead of yanking it like most people do.  :2thumbs: None of my Mopars have the Poly 318 but I do have one sitting in my garage (Dodge, vintage 1966) it still runs like a top!
My thought has been to build a Rat Rod and install the Poly.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on December 28, 2009, 01:00:59 PM
I don't think I would go as far as to say that almost everything on the short block interchanges between the Poly's and wedge smallblocks.  According to the info I have the only parts that interchange are main and rod bearings, timing set (chain and gears), valve springs, oil pump driveshaft and distributor.  Is there more than this?

The crankshafts do interchange, after a fashion.  You have to be very careful, however, about pulley alignment as well as flywheel (or flexplate) mounting dimensions, as that can ruin your day.  DAMHIK  

:brickwall:

I used the MoparMuscle stroker project as a loose pattern for my Polysphere project, and it does put together a nice little engine package.  It's much easier and cheaper to hop-up any of the other mainstream engines (LA, B, or RB), but there is definitely a cool factor associated with the Polysphere.

Congrats on the Weiand intake find, BTW!!   :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Yes - Thanks all-   I think I might clean her up and slap her on with a little 600cfm Edelbrock with electric choke on her - Or - I could just sell the thing and clear some profit...   keep the 2bbl...     no idea. I think I'll get the thing running / driving first with the 2bbl and see what I think of it.  The rest of the engine will be staying stock so I have no clue if it is worth it to swap the intake / carb :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

I'm sure it is if just for the cool factor.

Tilar

If you ever run across any case combines from the late 50's to early 60's, many of them had the 318 poly in them. If you find one you could probably buy the whole thing, pull the engine out and scrap the rest and get your money back.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

tan top

sounds a  good deal  :yesnod:   :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bsakal

Sweet find! He shoots, he scores!