News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pacifica vs Deer... I hate deer

Started by 471_Magnum, December 27, 2009, 09:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

Just wrapped up our holiday travel obligations for yet one more Christmas.

This year will go down in infamy though.

We were cruising down the two lane in southern Illinois heading back to Indiana when a buck decided to cross the street before looking both ways. No chance to swerve enough to avoid him. THUNK!

I'm considering my family and I to be fortunate: nobody hurt (if you don't count Bambi), no air bags deployed, and the vehicle is drivable. We were doing 60 mph, and I got on the brakes and veered just enough to avoid a direct hit. Tore the crap out of the car though.

Hood, fender and door are all wrinkled. I'm sure there is plenty of damage below the skin as well. Fender is pushed into the door, so it won't open.  I'll wait for daylight for a better assessment, but no doubt it exceeds my $500 deductible.

Deer got knocked off the side of the road. I would have liked to have gone back to get a better look at him, but the pregnant wife and five year old daughter were already freaked out enough.

I almost drove my Mazda Protege5 today instead. I'm glad I didn't. Nobody would have fared as well.

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Ghoste

69bronzeT5

I'm glad you and your family are okay. Seems like the car faired pretty well based on the pictures. My dad hit a buck head on back in 2003 or so and totalled my mom's '90 Bonneville SSE. Toasted the whole front end. He was lucky, it jumped over the meridian and he hit it just as the front legs came down. If it was already grounded it probally would of gone through the windshield.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

471_Magnum

We were very fortunate that it wasn't a direct hit where he went over the hood. That's how people get killed.

The Pacifica rides pretty high, and the buck seemed to have his head down as he was stepping onto the roadway. A split second later, he would have been in the middle of the lane and it would have been really ugly.

I've replayed it in my head a thousand times already. Not so much to second guess myself, but more to reaffirm my reactions. Had I braked harder, I still wouldn't have stopped in time (road was wet/icy) and that buck would have made it further into the roadway. A more evasive maneuver could have spun the car. All things considered, that situation played out a well as it could have.

Been making those trips through rural southern Illinois for many years now and seen many deer carcasses, and had a few near misses. This is the first time either my wife or I have nailed one. Guess we were due.

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

bull

Crap. Sorry about that. I've never been able to talk to anyone who's owned a Pacifica and I've always wondered if they're good cars. Other than being attracted to deer, do you like yours?

66chargerkid

Well I am just glad you and your family are safe.
Insurance companies hate dear I am sure. They are the reason we shoot them because of *overpopulation* LMAO  :shruggy:

BBKNARF

Frightening feeling happen to me years ago.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Skinypete

I hit a small deer last year in my 1994 Cherokee and it did about $1100 in damage, just a fender and the grill. So yeah it definitely will exceed the deductible.  Glad to hear that everyone was okay.
DJMIII

b5blue

Glad you are all OK! Had a friend years ago who had a deer jump into the rear door widow of a 4 door Impala! He drove home with it hanging 1/2 out, butchered it an ate it!  :smilielol: