News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam choice for a 496 street daytona

Started by thallium, December 29, 2009, 09:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thallium

I'm thinking of building a 496 for the daytona. I have a couple concerns. 1. It has to be streetable and 2. with the limited air flow from the nose cone, is a 496 going to be ok and not overheat with the extra horsepower a 496 will put out?

I know a 496 eats duration on a cam and if I go too small, the engine will crap out way too early.  Also, I don't want to go too high on lift because that puts wear and tear and it's going to be a street car.  

I want to go with the stock stamped rocker arms so a big cam won't work anyway. What do you guys think of a purple shaft 509 cam for a 496? The 509 purple shaft has tons of duration, and only 509 lift which stock rocker arms can handle.

The rest of the engine will be 850 cfm holly, street dominator intake, eddy heads, forged 9.5 to 1 pistons, 1 7/8 headers.  I don't want to go too big on headers, I'd like to get the low end torque for the street.  6 quart hemi pan. 2500 Hughes stall, with 3:23 gears running a 27.5 inch tire.

Yes, it's geared tall, but a 496 should have no problem pulling that and it's going to be a street car that I can driver anywhere. Freeways going approx 80mph and run low into the 12's on the street.

My concern, will a 509 cam work well with a 496 with it's higher duration? And will a 496 putting out 550 hp or more overheat in a daytona? Especially with the limited air flow with the nose cone on?

hemigeno

The experts in the Engine section should be able to give you some answers to your questions, so I'll move this thread over there...

firefighter3931

Mp sells 2 versions of the 509 cam....the wide lobe (114* LSA) version is what you should consider if you want to run something like that in the application you're considering.  :yesnod:

The cam in Mike's engine is a custom Engle hydraulic grind that is very streetable and works with stock valvetrain components. Makes descent power too with a very broad & flat torque curve.....perfect for a heavy street car with mild gearing.  :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43911.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

thallium

I also have power brakes at the moment. Will the 509 wide Lobe 114 work with power brakes? If not, maybe I should consider the engle K60H for my build since that will work with power brakes.

Also anybody know the specs on the engle K60H cam? I can not find any information on the cam on engle's web site.

Purple440

Someone will have the specs on the K60, but you can also email Engle.  They said their site is currently being worked on, so hopefully it will be back to normal soon.

firefighter3931

The K60 hyd lobe is :

Duration : 238*@.050 valve lift
Valve lift : .534 @ 1.5:1 rocker ratio

* this lobe on a 112* LSA is mild in a 500in type build....excellent vacuum and street manners. If you need more top end charge the duration has to be increased but you'll be taking something away from the bottom end of the powerband. As they say ; there are no free lunches.  ;)

I specced that cam for Mike's 505 based on his driving style and desired gearing for hwy cruising. He also has the appropriate converter and it all works together quite nicely.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

thallium

Thanks Ron for the info. looks like i will use K60 also with the power brakes. what stall converter do you recommend for a 3:23 rear end with 2756015 tires (27.5 inch)? and with the rest of my combo above?

firefighter3931

Quote from: thallium on January 01, 2010, 03:50:43 PM
Thanks Ron for the info. looks like i will use K60 also with the power brakes. what stall converter do you recommend for a 3:23 rear end with 2756015 tires (27.5 inch)? and with the rest of my combo above?

You're welcome Tabe....the proven engine's forum is a valuable source of information with lots of good archived data. This makes parts selection for future builds much easier...especially with dyno proven results to support the choices being made.  :2thumbs:

With 3.23 gears and a 275 tire i would go with an efficient 11in converter. The Turbo Action 11in "Street Hemi" vert is what i recomended for Mike and he really likes it. I also recommended that same converter for Rob's Cuda with a mild 408 SB stroker and it runs fantastic in that application as well.  ;)

Same deal for yours ; TA 11in street hemi  :yesnod:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

I'm also running the K60 and hope for a pleasent engine with good vacuum in my 500 stroker.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

thallium