News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where does the kickdown rod go on a 73 727?

Started by WH23G3G, December 13, 2009, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've already hooked up all the shifter linkages on my 73 400 column shift 727. Now I have the correct original kickdown rod, but where does it go? There's no other places for it to plug into on the transmission. I see where it goes on the carburetor end but I don't know where it would go on the transmission. I must be missing something.

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

WH23G3G

Oh wow, it looks like I'm missing something else then. All I've got is one lever on the shift mechanism for the steering column shifter linkage. Mine is a little different than that. I don't know where I'll find it. 

RD

the transmission pictured above is for a on the column shifter, not a console shifter. fyi  the diagram shows for a console mounted shifter
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

WH23G3G

I'll have to take some pictures of mine. It's quite a bit different than that setup. I installed the linkages as per the factory illustration and it was right. Everything worked and shifted right but of course I don't know until I actually start the engine and drive it. I just know I must be missing a lever on the transmission for the kickdown rod.

WH23G3G

I believe I've figured out what I need to hook up the kickdown on my 73 400-4bbl 727 column shift. I researched the 73 parts catalog under the Fuel System section illustration 14-9 in case anyone has it and want to refer to it. I need the clip that holds the kickdown rod to the transmission throttle lever. The good thing is I have the throttle lever for the transmission, the link on the carb, and the stabilizer bar on the carb. So the only thing I need is that clip that holds the rod to the throttle lever on the transmission because the rod does not have a hole in it for a hairpin clip. It doesn't have a grove either for a clip. The illustration on page 14-9 of the 73 parts manual shows the kinda clip I need. The illustration is quite a bit different than the one posted. So if anyone knows of that clip and has a spare let me know. It appears to look like a locking clip similar to how the choke rod clip works. But I don't know because I don't have clear picture of just the clip. I'm sorry I can't post the page 14-9 out of my 73 catalog because it's on a CD in a pdf format and it's secured so you can't copy and paste anything from it.

Beer

Alt and Printscreen (Same time) of the window should capture the window, then paste that into a graphics program (Mircosoft Paint should work). 
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

WH23G3G

Ok I tried to get the illustration on and I just cant get it to work. I'm desparately trying to figure this kickdown rod thing out because I don't even want to pull it out of the driveway without it hooked up even if it's ok. I want everything on that should be there. I've researched all I could, all the illustrations show only a part of the piece I need as a clip. It locks the kickdown rod to the kickdown lever. I see one on EBAY but don't know if it's what I need because I've never gotten to see a clear picture of the actual one I need. It appears according to the 73 parts catalog the kickdown lever, rod, link, and clip are all the same regardless of column or console shift, because I had a console shift first and the stuff I have still fits for the column shift. The only way that mattered was if it was a big block or small block. Does anyone have a picture of that clip or picture of there own kickdown lever and rod installed? Probably 71+ would be the same.

Nacho-RT74

there is a thread on 3rd gen board talking about that when BOB ( I think it was Bob ) was searching for a BB kickdown rod link assembly. Make a search there. I think was somekind of deal between Bob and 71greengo

As far we have discovered and I have seen, from 71 to 73 the kick down rod link is a 3 pieces assembly and adjust is made on throtle bracket assembly. On 74 the Kick down rod is one piece and adjust is made just tright at tranny lever, just like is made teh adjust with the shifter lever
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WH23G3G

If I ever get it figured out I'll take some pictures and save them and figure out how to post them.

Nacho-RT74

Now that I think, I can be wrong on 73 setup statement I made. Dunno remmeber if 73 is an assembly linkage or is a one piece rod like a 74, BUT with adjusting slot on top to adjust directly on throttle bracket, different than 74s where the adjustment is at tranny lever with a bolt tightening the rod itself, like the gear linkage.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

WH23G3G

I ordered maybe the last one of the clips for my 73 400-4bbl column shift automatic kickdown rod. It listed as part #6029009 for all 73 cars w/ big blocks. The numbers for the 73 318 is 2899361, and the 340 is 2899360. This clip looks like it locks the kickdown rod to the throttle lever on the transmission. There is a 2899360 on EBAY right now if anyone wants to see it. It is item # 250522991240. I don't know what the difference between the 318, 340, and 400-440's are. But if they really did have that clip I should have everything hooked up factory correct for the kickdown. Only thing I'm missing is the screw that holds the rod to the stabilizer on the carb.

GreenMachine

Here's a pic of those type clips, as you can see there is a couple of different types and mirror images of each other. Be sure to get the right one. What screw on the carb are you needing?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Nacho-RT74

WH23G3G

Oh ok I finally figured out how to get the illustration copied. Here it is. This is from the 1973 Chrysler parts catalog. You can see that clip at the bottom. I need the screw labeled "screw/washer" that connects the kickdown rod to the carb linkage. There was no part number anywhere in that section for it even after the related parts where it usually has misc. clips, washers, and screw listed.

Oh yeah I just noticed the throttle return spring I was asking about, it even shows it hooked to the A/C bracket I have in this illustration too.

GreenMachine

Quote from: WH23G3G on December 28, 2009, 11:29:29 PM
I need the screw labeled "screw/washer" that connects the kickdown rod to the carb linkage. There was no part number anywhere in that section for it even after the related parts where it usually has misc. clips, washers, and screw listed.

I think that might be just a bolt with a captured washer that is very common throughout the car.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Nacho-RT74

yes that really sounds familiar to me... not the clip maybe because I never got under a 73 to check that but yes the bolt to adjust the kickdown lever at the throttle bracket!!!