News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What win percentage separates great race drivers from the rest?

Started by Ghoste, January 01, 2010, 02:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I realize that even the best professionals lose more than they win but what do you think the percentages are?

69_500

Just going from the top of my head but aren't Petty's percentages something along the lines of 20% over his career? Then again it depends if your talking NASCAR, NHRA, or what series as well.

Ghoste

Probably very true.  I wonder where Ronnie Sox would place?  Say, what was Petty's win rate for the 1967 season?

Cooter

Great race driver's are not gauged by their winnings IMO, whether it be NASCAR, or NHRA...To me, They are gauged through their character when they are NOT driving..."The King" Richard Petty will stay until the LAST autograph is signed and his fans are satisfied within reason...

Most today, as well as the TV/Movie stars are only concerned with siging enough so that they can be written up in the articles as having signed a few autographs....Once the amount of "Hungry" goes away when you've got about 60 Bazillion $ in your bank account, THEN we  will see who's the "Greats" or not....

Most here will prolly chastize me for this, but I have to quote the famous Dale E. senior to proove my point...While he won PLENTY of races, and he was everybody's "guy", this comment stayed with me....

Commentator: "Is it true we hear you drive other driver's into the wall on purpose?"
Dale E:" I tell you what, you put your number on your car, and I'll make sure you hit the wall".....

IMO, THIS isn't good driving, it's kinda like bullying to me..."The king" didn't have to purposely drive others off the track to win, why should he?...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Aero426

You would have to rate David Pearson right up there.   He only ran for the championship four times and won three of them.   

Starts: 574
Wins: 105
Top 5s: 301
Top 10s: 366