News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started by bull, December 24, 2009, 02:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Wow! Have any of you guys seen this movie yet? Good story and good acting but the special effects are downright incredible. :o I might have to see it again but in 3D.

b5blue

:cheers: I was thinking the same, I was pissed the theater ad online said 3d then you get there and sign says sorry no 3d! Wild movie  :o

defiance

The 3d is exceptional.  Seriously.  I'm a big fan of 3d - I have a dual-projector infitec setup at home I watch movies and game in 3d with - and I've seen a lot of 3d movies.  I have to say this is without a doubt the best usage of 3d I've ever seen.  Yes, it had great visuals.  Yes, the rendered jungle scenes and effects were amazing.  Yes, they come across wonderfully in 3d.  But even that isn't what I was talking about.  I'm talking about it being used as an *immersive* technology rather than an impressive one.  Normally, 3d movies have things popping out at you and moving all around and highlighting the fact that, LOOK, I'M IN 3D!!! WOOO!  I admit there were a couple of things at the start of the movie that were like that.  But when the movie starts moving, the 3d WOW effects go away and every 3d effect is meant to immerse you in the story and environment.  A couple examples --
- When the guys get out of the ship the first time they go into the jungle- there are bugs flying around.  The bugs are blurred, almost invisible, but rendered with distinct depth.  So your brain picks up on them and basically filters them out as actual bugs flying around, so you get the feeling of actually being in the jungle with them.
- I won't spoil plot, but let's say there's a scene with some ashes in the air and the main guy walking.  Again, the ashes are blurred, but with depth - so your attention is drawn to the focus of the screen while these background effects give you the subconscious perception of depth.

It just WORKS.  You don't feel like you're watching a 3d movie in the traditional sense - you aren't really constantly reminded that it's in 3d - you just feel more immersed.  

oh - and the story is much better than I expected.  If it had mediocre effects and normal visuals it would still be a really decent rental.  I expected a polished turd that looks really pretty.  But no, it's actually an ok story with only a few rolleye cheeseball moments.

BB1

You should have seen it in digital 3D, HOLY CRAP 
Las Vegas NV has one.
Delete my profile

miller

Quote from: defiance on December 24, 2009, 10:37:40 AM
The 3d is exceptional.  Seriously.  I'm a big fan of 3d - I have a dual-projector infitec setup at home I watch movies and game in 3d with - and I've seen a lot of 3d movies.  I have to say this is without a doubt the best usage of 3d I've ever seen.  Yes, it had great visuals.  Yes, the rendered jungle scenes and effects were amazing.  Yes, they come across wonderfully in 3d.  But even that isn't what I was talking about.  I'm talking about it being used as an *immersive* technology rather than an impressive one.  Normally, 3d movies have things popping out at you and moving all around and highlighting the fact that, LOOK, I'M IN 3D!!! WOOO!  I admit there were a couple of things at the start of the movie that were like that.  But when the movie starts moving, the 3d WOW effects go away and every 3d effect is meant to immerse you in the story and environment.  A couple examples --
- When the guys get out of the ship the first time they go into the jungle- there are bugs flying around.  The bugs are blurred, almost invisible, but rendered with distinct depth.  So your brain picks up on them and basically filters them out as actual bugs flying around, so you get the feeling of actually being in the jungle with them.
- I won't spoil plot, but let's say there's a scene with some ashes in the air and the main guy walking.  Again, the ashes are blurred, but with depth - so your attention is drawn to the focus of the screen while these background effects give you the subconscious perception of depth.

It just WORKS.  You don't feel like you're watching a 3d movie in the traditional sense - you aren't really constantly reminded that it's in 3d - you just feel more immersed. 

oh - and the story is much better than I expected.  If it had mediocre effects and normal visuals it would still be a really decent rental.  I expected a polished turd that looks really pretty.  But no, it's actually an ok story with only a few rolleye cheeseball moments.

I agree with you 100%, rather than  have spikes and arrows shooting at your face, they used the 3D to give depth on the screen, like in the space shuttle when they were taking the soldiers out of hibernation (its right at the start) and everything had its own depth to make you actually feel there.

Here's a topic, do you feel they had to make the aliens look human in order for us relate to them? I say this because aliens most likely would have no resemblance to us, but for us to see them on the same level as humans, they have to be built in our image. Just a question for you all.

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Ponch ®

i usually get movie tickets / theater gift cards for Christmas from the secretaries at work, so I've been waiting for them so I can go check this out.  :2thumbs:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mike DC

I've heard that the movie is basically "Dances with Wolves" in space, but the execution of it is very good and the 3D is incredible. 

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 24, 2009, 05:53:21 PM
I've heard that the movie is basically "Dances with Wolves" in space, but the execution of it is very good and the 3D is incredible.  

It is. It's basically a sci-fi metaphor for what happened between the US govt. and the Indians. Which has happened in many other countries too.

Quote from: miller on December 24, 2009, 01:24:08 PM
Here's a topic, do you feel they had to make the aliens look human in order for us relate to them? I say this because aliens most likely would have no resemblance to us, but for us to see them on the same level as humans, they have to be built in our image. Just a question for you all.

I don't know if they HAD to but this is one of the first times I can think of where the aliens were so individualized. Usually they all look the same but here they took on some very specific facial features that matched their human features. How obvious was it that you were seeing the Sigourney Weaver character when she was her alien's avatar? Same with the lead character. I don't think they did it out of a sense of obligation; I think they did it because they finally can.

TheGhost

Scene it on Sunday.  I was amazed by the graphics!  Easily the best looking movie I've seen in a long time.  Gonna go with some friends later this week to see it in 3D, can hardly wait!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bull

Quote from: TheGhost on December 29, 2009, 03:37:35 AM
Scene it on Sunday.  I was amazed by the graphics!  Easily the best looking movie I've seen in a long time.  Gonna go with some friends later this week to see it in 3D, can hardly wait!

I think that's the main reason they're making so much money on that flick. People are amazed how it looks in regular theaters so they have to up the ante.

BBKNARF

The wife wanted to see it so I went along I thought it was great.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Dans 68

My 9-year old daughter had a sleepover at a friends house, so the wife and I saw it last night, in digital 3d. Wow. I do believe they will make their money back and then some. I probably will see it again (it was that spectacular). Again, wow....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

TeeWJay426

Did not see the 3D version, but I LOVED the movie anyway.... didn't really know what to expect when I went, and was very pleasantly surprised. There are also a lot of parallels to District 9, if you have seen that one.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

b5blue

In a way yea, it's been a good year for illegal aliens getting sympathy as the under-dog. I really wish I had seen it in 3D so I would suggest to anyone going to not settle for anything else. (where I went they advertised 3D online, but didn't have 3D showing)

bull

I don't really see the parallel to sympathy for illegal aliens in Avatar since the humans are the illegal aliens. If anything I see it as a commentary against illegal aliens coming in to a foreign land and abuse the available resources. But this raises an interesting point regarding whites being the illegal aliens back in the late 1700s and early 1800s and taking from the natives.

68charger383

Saw it in 3D today, all I can say is wow. I want to up it now and see it in IMAX. It's that good.

I'd say it is a movie you have to see in the movie theater :popcrn: .....I don't know if the DVD will have the same effect at home.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 24, 2009, 05:53:21 PM

yes kinda off

Is a nice movie. I hardly get impressed about speciall effects, because I pay more attantion to the story, and on histories like that I put my votes for some more human story.

but still a Nice movie. I like the Human being illegals aliens argument.
Not thinking on see it on 3D though
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: bull on December 24, 2009, 09:22:19 PM
It is. It's basically a sci-fi metaphor for what happened between the US govt. and the Indians. Which has happened in many other countries too.

but this time Indians winning the battle.

Something more like Vietnam maybe ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

defiance

Quote from: 68charger383 on January 02, 2010, 07:30:18 PM
Saw it in 3D today, all I can say is wow. I want to up it now and see it in IMAX. It's that good.

I'd say it is a movie you have to see in the movie theater :popcrn: .....I don't know if the DVD will have the same effect at home.

I've heard rumors that it will be produced in the newly approved frame sequential bluray 3d format - if it's done right, and if you have the equipment to produce it properly, it will have the same effect :D

TheGhost

Saw it again, in 3D this time, on New Years eve.

Damn.  Amazing.  It really is.  This is the first movie I've actually seen more than once in a theatre, and if there was an Imax playing it around here, I'd go see it a third time.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bull

I saw it a second time in 3D also but I'm not going to bump it up again to IMAX. The one time I went to an IMAX movie was for some dolphin documentary and I almost puked. IMAX = too much.

BB1

Saw it again last night; I knew the story line so I look at more of the details in the overall movie.

WOW
Delete my profile

Ponch ®

Finally saw it today. The 3d effects..amazing - this really could be the movie that changes how movies are made. As for the story...yep, Dances with Wolves / Pocahontas in space with lots of shit blown up. It's the same old "white guy befriends the poor helpless natives, then only with his leadership do they figure out how to beat the bad guys" story.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

greenpigs

Are there any boobs?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX