News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Duct tape, cardboard, ingenuity... mix em together and voila!!!

Started by RD, January 01, 2010, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=1520689&_blg=1,1502027

The Long Tail of Fuel Efficiency
A DIY boat tail adds some serious miles per gallon
Posted by Joshua Condon on Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:55 PM

What if someone told you you could improve your fuel economy by 15 percent with nothing but cardboard, aluminum and duct tape? Sounds pretty sweet and simple, right? But then what if they told you you'd have to do it by making your car look like that odd duck, to the left?

Darin Cosgrove, who added the boat tail to his Geo Metro (though, since he's in Canada, it's called a Pontiac Firefly), certainly doesn't mind the trade-off; then again, that's sort of his thing. Cosgrove is the founder of the hypermiling (i.e. fuel-economy boosting) site Ecomodder.com. (If you look closely at the image, you'll notice the boat tail is not the only add-on; for one example, you'll notice he's added rear wheel skirts.)

By reducing the drag coefficient from 0.34 to 0.23, the boat tail (and other mods) boosted Cosgrove's fuel efficiency by 15.1 percent at 90 kilometers per hour (about 56 mph). That's some pretty serious savings, especially for a DIY project, and it really speaks to the role that smart engineering can play in fuel savings -- it's not all about batteries or hybrid powertrains. We're just not sure, though, how well the look would move cars off dealer lots.

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

66chargerkid

Quote from: RD on January 01, 2010, 08:50:46 PM
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=1520689&_blg=1,1502027

What if someone told you you could improve your fuel economy by 15 percent with nothing but cardboard, aluminum and duct tape? Sounds pretty sweet and simple, right? But then what if they told you you'd have to do it by making your car look like that odd duck, to the left?

Darin Cosgrove, who added the boat tail to his Geo Metro (though, since he's in Canada, it's called a Pontiac Firefly), certainly doesn't mind the trade-off; then again, that's sort of his thing. Cosgrove is the founder of the hypermiling (i.e. fuel-economy boosting) site Ecomodder.com. (If you look closely at the image, you'll notice the boat tail is not the only add-on; for one example, you'll notice he's added rear wheel skirts.)

By reducing the drag coefficient from 0.34 to 0.23, the boat tail (and other mods) boosted Cosgrove's fuel efficiency by 15.1 percent at 90 kilometers per hour (about 56 mph). That's some pretty serious savings, especially for a DIY project, and it really speaks to the role that smart engineering can play in fuel savings -- it's not all about batteries or hybrid powertrains. We're just not sure, though, how well the look would move cars off dealer lots.

Is that your next project LMAO?
Please let it be something other then a mopar  :slap:  :smilielol:

Arthu®

Striving for world domination since 1986

NorwayCharger

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

RD

Quote from: 66chargerkid on January 02, 2010, 12:39:23 AM

well there is this blue mid 80's daytona that i think needs to be a little more aero'd.. hmmmmm :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bull

I would have filled the tail with a foam-wrapped pogo stick to protect the car from rear-end collisions.

bakerhillpins

Heh, The Mythbusters did this kind of thing as well but they dimpled a car like a golf ball and got an extra 11%.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/mythbusters-golf-ball-like-dimpling-mpg/
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mike DC

Aerodynamics of the rear half of the car are really underestimated IMHO.

Look how NASA transports the space shuttle orbiters strapped onto the back of a 747 - they're not putting those huge tailcones on the shuttles for nothing. 

66chargerkid

Quote from: RD on January 02, 2010, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: 66chargerkid on January 02, 2010, 12:39:23 AM

well there is this blue mid 80's daytona that i think needs to be a little more aero'd.. hmmmmm :D
Lol yes I am gonna lower it an inch for some aero.

mikesbbody

Aero426

Chrysler experimented with this concept with the Airflow prototypes in the 1930's.   

Mike DC

Laugh now.

But I expect to see stuff like those tailcones federally mandated on every car & truck in America long before the population will go for raising the price of gas by 25 cents.