News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did ya ever see a Wix filter explode? well...

Started by RD, December 23, 2009, 08:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

I got this one in at work due to a warranty.  Seems the filter decided it did not like the pressures being placed upon it by the backhoe's hydraulic system.  Something had to go.. and well... it was the filter.  Never have seen a Wix go down this way, the guys hydraulic system is most likely the culprit.  But, in the retail world you do what you have to to make the customer a repeat customer.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

tan top

:o that must of been some big Psi  , to do that :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Todd Wilson

Looks like a piss poor crimp job done by the made in 3rd world country of your choice. Even the mighty Wix is all about profit and not quality anymore. They only want 10 cents cost in an 8$ filter instead of a good quality filter costing 3$ to make and sell for 8$.

Todd

elacruze

Nope, that's the system it was installed on. Look at the bulged metal between the gasket and crimp. That dude swelled up like a water balloon before it burst.

You in the frozen North? Looks like a case of ice in the system to me.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

moparguy01

i second the ice notion. I've seen a few blow up like that, and its usually been because its too darn cold up here.

Charger RT

Quote from: RD on December 23, 2009, 08:59:10 PM
  But, in the retail world you do what you have to to make the customer a repeat customer.

He will totaly trash wix when the replacement does the same thing.

200MPH

Charger

Foreman72

was anyone else expecting an exploded, i mean like...mythbusters style exploded, filter...

i was :rotz:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Scaregrabber

If you put the relief valve in backwards on a BB oil pump you can bulge oil filters pretty good too. DAMHIK.

Sheldon

dodgecharger-fan

The filter that came off during the last oil change I had done on my 2000 Intrepid was puffed up like a balloon. Pretty sure it was a MOPAR filter.
That was right before I had to turn it at the end of the lease. I told the guy too and he looked at me funny - like, "No one tells me stuff like that when they're turning in their lease."
But it was a company car and not my tab. Besides they did all of the service so he could have easily found out.

Wish I had a picture of it. It was kinda cool.

RD

Quote from: elacruze on December 24, 2009, 05:50:40 AM
Nope, that's the system it was installed on. Look at the bulged metal between the gasket and crimp. That dude swelled up like a water balloon before it burst.

You in the frozen North? Looks like a case of ice in the system to me.

it did happen during our 0-10 degree cold spell earlier in december, just now got around to getting the pics up.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Silver R/T

It's not cause of bad quality, these filters are still one of the best out there. It was misused, unfortunately things break when they're abused.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Tilar

That shouldn't have come apart on any 0 to 10 degree day. Either the filter has an internal bypass that failed or he has a bypass stuck in the filter base.

As far as the water and ice theory, if you look into the filter you'll know right off if there is water in the oil.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

RD

Quote from: Tilar on December 24, 2009, 08:08:42 PM
That shouldn't have come apart on any 0 to 10 degree day. Either the filter has an internal bypass that failed or he has a bypass stuck in the filter base.

As far as the water and ice theory, if you look into the filter you'll know right off if there is water in the oil.

i will let wix figure that one out :D

BB1

Delete my profile

elacruze

Not necessarily. Many hydraulic system filters are mounted bottom-up, though I don't know about this one.
Usually, water collects in the bight of a hose or a pump relief valve. Water separates from oil and goes to the bottom.

It is possible that it's merely the result of over-revving the pump with extremely cold oil, even without water.
I'll allow the possibility of mismanufacture, but I've never seen that myself with a pressure failure.

Most equipment manufacturers recommend changing hydraulic fluid yearly, too, largely to eliminate water contamination. Almost nobody maintains their systems by the book.

FWIW when you see the guy next, ask how long the equipment was unused before the incident, and when it was flushed last.  :shruggy:

In any case, it's an impressive failure.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

66chargerkid

I got this one in at work due to a warranty.  Seems the filter decided it did not like the pressures being placed upon it by the backhoe's hydraulic system.  Something had to go.. and well... it was the filter.  Never have seen a Wix go down this way, the guys hydraulic system is most likely the culprit.  But, in the retail world you do what you have to to make the customer a repeat customer.
Werent you telling me a couple days ago to put a WIX filter on my Daytona  :D :hah:  :brickwall: :slap:

RD

Quote from: 66chargerkid on December 24, 2009, 11:19:01 PM
Werent you telling me a couple days ago to put a WIX filter on my Daytona  :D :hah:  :brickwall: :slap:

it is not the filter that is/was the problem.  it was the guy's hydraulic system.  Wix brand filters are awesome, second to none in my book.  If ya dont believe me... do some research.

Silver R/T

Quote from: RD on December 25, 2009, 01:00:42 AM
Quote from: 66chargerkid on December 24, 2009, 11:19:01 PM

it is not the filter that is/was the problem.  it was the guy's hydraulic system.  Wix brand filters are awesome, second to none in my book.  If ya dont believe me... do some research.

x2, abuse is what made that filter do what it did.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

My neighbor had that happen to his tractor last year.  Said he found an article on line that says that when the weather gets colder, you have to adjust the pressure by pass for the oil / hydraulic system.  His filter did the same thing.  He went through two of them before he realized there was a bulliten on it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Tilar

Quote from: elacruze on December 24, 2009, 09:55:56 PM

Not necessarily. Many hydraulic system filters are mounted bottom-up, though I don't know about this one.
Usually, water collects in the bight of a hose or a pump relief valve. Water separates from oil and goes to the bottom.

It is possible that it's merely the result of over-revving the pump with extremely cold oil, even without water.
I'll allow the possibility of mismanufacture, but I've never seen that myself with a pressure failure.

Most equipment manufacturers recommend changing hydraulic fluid yearly, too, largely to eliminate water contamination. Almost nobody maintains their systems by the book.

FWIW when you see the guy next, ask how long the equipment was unused before the incident, and when it was flushed last.  :shruggy:

In any case, it's an impressive failure.

If the filter is mounted bottom up it should by design have a relief in the filter head. I thought about overrevving in cold weather but again in that situation it should have gone over the filter bypass or maybe he is running too heavy of an oil for the climate he is in or someone added heavier oil to try to compensate for a weak pump...

Another thing is if he just replaced the filter head and mounted it backwards inline, which instead of going into relief it would deadhead. I've seen people do that a few times over the last 30 years and it's a crap shoot wether it takes out the filter head or the filter. For some reason some people don't understand what that big arrow is on top of the head.

I agree, it's either operator or machine failure.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.