News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you think I should take my Durango to Dodge for an oil change?

Started by bull, December 22, 2009, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

The local Dodge dealers sent me a coupon the other day for a $17.95 oil change which includes up to 5 qts of oil and a Mopar filter. Thing is I've already got 3-4 Mopar filters on the shelf and some of the synthetic oil I use. So I call them up and ask them what they'd charge if I brought my own oil and Mopar filter and had them do it (because it's wet and cold in my driveway) and they said like $9-$10. But do I chance it? I mean the way things are going with Chrysler do you think Walmart would actually do a better job? I'm sort of joking here but not really. Should I trust them? Would you?

Ghoste

How much do you trust the dealer?  We have one dealer near here that I trust and I take the Nitro there because it's still under warranty so I want a confirmed record that it was maintained.  As for the minivan, I usually do it myself but I've taken there a couple of times when I basically was just too lazy to do it.
Saying that, I've worked in a service department and I've seen some pretty bad things come out of the lube rack area.

bull

Well, this one not so much. Which is too bad because it's the only one in my area. The one thing they did for me went ok but I've had more bad experienced with that dealership than good. Most of the bad has been in the sales and parts dept. so I imagine the ineptitude has spilled over into service. Every time I've dealt with the service dept. they seemed very listless/lifeless as if they are on some work release program from the state suicide ward or something. :shruggy:

Screw it. Tomorrow I'll just put my jacket and coveralls on, put the electric heater out on the driveway next to me and go to work. :brickwall: Friggin' $9 and I'm still too nervous to have them do it. :rotz:

Ghoste

If you feel uneasy enough about them to come here and ask us then you should pass.

dads_69

Bull, in my words, oh hell no! Why, well I've worked at the big dealerships here. Ford and GM. Dodge is not much different: meaning employee's.
1 word, reckless. Everyday at the Ford dealership, at least 3 cars were damaged during that day alone out of the 100 to 120 some odd cars through the Mech. Tech shop only. Keep in mind there are 3 other div. for customers to go as well w/o them possbilly knowing what crappy employee's do to his/her car/truck.
At GM, an easy 200 cars everyday through the shop. I counted 5 cars and 2 trucks in just one day being damaged due to poor exp. employee.
Think about it, the guy changing your oil makes what, an average of 8 or 9 bucks an hour, his professional attitude isn't going to be the greatest, no offence is anyone here does that for a living, but it is a fact most lack common sense behind the wheel of a strangers car.
Thus why I do body/paint work still, idiot employee's keep me busy, ha-ha.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Bob

I get those coupons now and then and at the bottom in small print (font size 2) there is a additional charge to get rid of the oil filter.  :shruggy:

Cooter

Bull, used to be a time when you walked into your local Dodge dealer and all the employees knew your Dodge vehicle cause they were taken care of, were happy, and had been working there for at least 20 plus years...Now? you walk in and ask where the Guy that's pulling your Tranny under warranty, where he/she worked before and they reply with "Wal-Mart"....

Just cause the patch on their shirt says "Dodge" doesn't mean they didn't come from Wally world...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

stripedelete

It all depends on the dealership Bull.  Dad's 69 is right, the guy on the grease rack is low man on the totem pole.
But, if you're not going to do it yourself the dealer is actually the best bet.  Why? The dealer has better insurance than the guy that owns the Grease Monkey franchise and he has the personnel on-site to correct a major issue caused by his employee. 

Look for your dealership experiences to improve for a number of reasons.  First, the lack of qualified techs has been a dealership issue for years.   With the dealership closings the good techs are spread a little less thin.  Second, just like in manufacturing, when times are tough, quality goes up at the dealership.  They need every customer.  This dynamic might address some the type of situation that Dads 69 described.  Finally, when Chrysler went bankrupt every retained dealer got a new franchise agreement and it's written on flash paper.  In other words they don't have to screw up very much and .......

I was a service manager in a dealership.    My advice to anyone regarding service in a dealership:  The good ole' days relationship with a service department/dealership can still be had.  Find a "B" sized dealership were the owner is visible on a day to day basis and give them some "customer pay" work, don't just show up for warranty work.
Over the time of ownership of the vehicle they will reciprocate.  Sometimes one tech will take ownership of you. Sometimes a free loaner (when there not obligated).  Some "No Charge" tickets.  Or, you're just a little out of warranty - we'll take care of it.  (FYI: if you went to another dealership across town to save $50.00 on the purchase of the vehicle and your coming back to this guy for for great service - forget it. they have a long memory on $50.00 deals)

A "B" sized dealer is also more apt to sell you the service you need.  The guy at Midas will try to sell you a set of calipers and rotors with every break job regardless.  Example: In two years at a Toyota dealership I sold one caliper to a shop customer.  In the same time period I sold 36 to the Firestone tire center. 

I'm in no way marginalizing the bad experiences that many have had at a dealership.  Been there too.  But I've also taken care of a lot of screwed up cars and raped customers that thought the way to go was the big chain repair shops. 

jaak

Thing about dealerships...or around here anyways, all the ASE certified techs, are doing repair work, the guy changing oil/rotating tires/etc, is the same guys working at Jiffy lube, WalMart, Express, etc. Here locally seems like they make they work at one place a while, then the next.

Jason

66chargerkid

Worked at tires plus for almost a year and I would never let them do service on your car. They will hire what ever guy they can get away paying the cheapest amount per hour to. We had a guy there that only lasted a couple months but in the meantime had 3 oil outs and a car fall of the rack. He still worked there months after this.
The quality of techs that work at the low budget places is pathetic. They let people do brake jobs or alignments for the first time on CUSTOMER cars. Ridiculous in my opinion.
The dealer ship may upcharge you but atleast there techs are payed better and they don't allow this kind of crap to go on (atleast I hope not)

bull

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71ChallengeHer

Sure go ahead. I took the Daytona in to the dealership for an alignment. It needed a shim and wheel cylinders.  I was like ok no big deal. I had shims put in cars before. And wheel cylinders are about $12 .  It doubled the alignment cost plus the shim. And 50 bucks apiece for the wheel cylinders. They already had the freaking wheeels off.  I left there with a $365 invoice.  :flame:  Never again, I'll get my friends to do the work for beer.  :2thumbs:

Sublime/Sixpack

You'd probably be okay having the dealership do the oil change, but in all honesty I can't bring myself to let them touch any of mine.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

dads_69

Update on Anch. Dodge. Bull, FYI, a few months ago, before winter hit here, a local customer here brought his 03' Viper in for repair, as well as an oil change.
Yep, you guessed it, oil/lube tech did his part alright.
He did not tighten the oil filter all the way, owner of Viper got about 15 miles and heard a knocking noise, before he knew it while driving down the freeway home, motor locked up.
Idiot, yes, he should have stopped earlier, but Anch. Dodge bought him a new engine for his Viper.
Something to think about before you take that possible same chance.

I asked my bud there about the Viper owner, most likely the oil light came on and I would have then just stopped the car vs. drive on? Yea, what an idiot IMO.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

covet66

Too late by the time the light comes on....
My son works at a local garage- doing tires, oil changes etc (apprentice) Most horror stories are about the POS cars people bring in for service- some they have to refuse to work on for fear off causing further damage or injury to themselves (not a dealership)

stripedelete

Quote from: dads_69 on December 24, 2009, 04:10:15 AM
Update on Anch. Dodge. Bull, FYI, a few months ago, before winter hit here, a local customer here brought his 03' Viper in for repair, as well as an oil change.
Yep, you guessed it, oil/lube tech did his part alright.
He did not tighten the oil filter all the way, owner of Viper got about 15 miles and heard a knocking noise, before he knew it while driving down the freeway home, motor locked up.
Idiot, yes, he should have stopped earlier, but Anch. Dodge bought him a new engine for his Viper.
Something to think about before you take that possible same chance.

I asked my bud there about the Viper owner, most likely the oil light came on and I would have then just stopped the car vs. drive on? Yea, what an idiot IMO.

Mark

We had a brand new truck come off the turnpike with a blown engine.  Jiffy Lube/Quick Lube tried to visually match the oil filter.  It was close - it made it from New Jersey to Ohio before it blew up.  The vehicle owner had to take Jiffy Lube/Quick Lube to court to get a new engine.

66chargerkid

Quote from: covet66 on December 24, 2009, 07:33:46 AM
Too late by the time the light comes on....
My son works at a local garage- doing tires, oil changes etc (apprentice) Most horror stories are about the POS cars people bring in for service- some they have to refuse to work on for fear off causing further damage or injury to themselves (not a dealership)
Yes some cars you will refuse work on for fear of being blamed about something. Cars that have engine noise and low amount of oil on the dipstick dont get engine services, bald tires dont get rotated etc.
Some cars that people try to bring in for service you dont want to even get in and start up let alone work on.
We had this BIG 80's Lincoln come in and it was hit in every corner and they wanted an oil change and 2 front tires. Sometimes you hate service writers because all they see is money and it clouds there judgement. He suggests a full vehicle inspection and we write up you know a 5--- dollar ticket for all the work that needs to be done and the guy says dont do anything I will take the car elsewhere.
Stupid salesmen are dumb. We should have done the oil change, done the tires, and got out. But it was just scary to get into. None of the windows worked, the alignment was all out, windshield cracked, cigarette butts everywhere etc.
Q

bull

I'll probably just do it myself since I've had issues with these rinky-dink outfits before. One of them put a bent filter on that leaked and I didn't realize it until I'd gone down the road about 8 miles and noticed the cloud of white smoke behind me. Aside from that they just make a mess under the car dripping oil all over the place. They don't care, it's not their car. They probably don't care about their own cars either.

bull

Well, this thread is officially moot. :icon_smile_cool: I bit the bullet, braved the cold/wind and did it in the dark tonight after work. Thanks for the input. :nana:

69bronzeT5

Good show! Durangos are fairly easy to do oil changes on. I can see the oil filter of my '98 through the passenger wheel well. :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 27, 2009, 11:19:16 PM
Good show! Durangos are fairly easy to do oil changes on. I can see the oil filter of my '98 through the passenger wheel well. :yesnod:

I've rarely changed oil when something hasn't gone wrong. Tonight's episode: snap the new filter socket in half in less than two seconds with minimal pressure.

Ghoste

The only reliable filter socket I've ever owned was a screwdriver pushed through the side of the filter.  :lol:

bull

At least I didn't spill the used oil all over the concrete. However, the wind likes to blow where I live so of course I got a big gust as I was pouring the new oil in. Blew a big blob all over my belt, rad hose, dust cover, pulley, etc. :rotz: