News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Low-deck high-port aluminum heads?

Started by elacruze, December 20, 2009, 05:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

I'm beginning to buy the bits to assemble my 400-block street engine. I don't have the bandwidth over here to read everything I can on everybody's catalogs and websites.

Does anyone have aluminum street heads with raised ports, sized to use standard RB manifolds? it looks to me like the Indy SR heads have Max-Wedge window sizes. I'll have the heads well ported, but I want to keep the port volume correct for a 451" motor to 6500rpm.

Recommendations?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

Wouldn't the front and rear dam walls of the block still be too low?  :scratchchin:

elacruze

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Basically, the heads would have the rocker cover rails higher and the intake port face taller, making room to cast in higher intake ports.  Sealing the valley would be the same as on any B engine.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

firefighter3931

The MP stage 6 head is the only casting that allows for an RB intake manifold to be used on a B block. The quality control on the MP heads leaves a lot to be desired so it can be an expensive proposition. There are many descent low deck intake manifolds these days so there's no real advantage to using an RB intake on a lowdeck based stroker. General made 550+HP and 600+TQ on his lowdeck 496 stroker build using an old school Holley Street Dominator.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

elacruze

Expensive...holy crap, is that $5k for a set? That's not going to happen.

What are the 'raised port B/RB heads' P/N P5153654? Still pretty steep at $2k per set.

Ron, what's your personal brand preference for 440-500cu. in., 6500rpm max, best torque curve? Max HP number isn't what I'm after.

I admit that I have something unusual in mind for the manifolding.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

firefighter3931

Quote from: elacruze on December 21, 2009, 10:20:24 AM
Expensive...holy crap, is that $5k for a set? That's not going to happen.

What are the 'raised port B/RB heads' P/N P5153654? Still pretty steep at $2k per set.

Ron, what's your personal brand preference for 440-500cu. in., 6500rpm max, best torque curve? Max HP number isn't what I'm after.

I admit that I have something unusual in mind for the manifolding.

The Chapman stage 6's are very expensive....but they are excellent heads. I haven't seen any hard dyno data but based on the flow they will make plenty of power. Not sure about that other head because i don't consider MP a viable player in the cylinder head world....too many horror stories.  :eek2:

The broadest/flattest torque curve is going to be with a standard port head. Torque peak in the low 4k range and HP in the high 5k-low6k range depending on the combination. The Max Wedge port window will make more power but moves the curves up higher. Just depends on the application. For a mostly street/occasional strip car my preference would be towards the std port window to keep velocity up and the resulting razor sharp throttle response.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

elacruze

Survey says that MP P5153654 is a Mopar branded Edelbrock Victor.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

firefighter3931

Quote from: elacruze on December 21, 2009, 11:20:22 AM
Survey says that MP P5153654 is a Mopar branded Edelbrock Victor.

The Victor heads use a wierd offset intake rocker...figure $1000 for a set of T&D or Harland Sharp's to work with those castings. The intake port is raised but the lowdeck block would still use a lowdeck intake manifold. These also require a seperate valley tray as opposed to the stock valley pan. Lots of headaches and additional costs. From what i've seen the best rockers for the Victors is the T&D which have good geometry and are compact.....the larger bodied rockers did have some clearance issues with the valve covers from what i remember seeing.

I had considered a set of MW port Victors for my 572 but felt that the Indy EZ's were a better option and much more user friendly. The Victors have slightly raised exhaust ports so there may be some issues with std port headers....whereas the EZ's will bolt right up to the TTI headers and fit the chassis the same as the Edelbrock RPM's that were on the 446.  :2thumbs:

I also like the external oil lines on the CNC port EZ's....full time oiling to the valvetrain is a bonus, especially when using a roller cam.

Ron