News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

door hinges on 68 charger

Started by charger2fast4u, December 21, 2009, 06:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i'm getting ready to have my bodywork finished on my 68 charger in the spring. i have to get acouple things by then to have it complete. what can i do about my sagging door hinges? nobody remakes them all i can find is used. and i'm kind of against buying them used because your buying 40+ year old hinges that might not have much life left before they get the sagging to them. i seen this ad on ebay. but i would like to keep mine since there originals and not give them to them for a core charge. anyone have any sources for any or other places that rebuild them? also what year and models are interchangable with the 68 chargers hinges? thanks for any help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-DOOR-HINGES-B-BODY-ROADRUNNER-CHARGER-SUPERBIRD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5884feabf7QQitemZ380188404727QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

tan top

try these guys  ,

http://www.smsmopar.com/public/index.html

got a pair of not door but  hoodhinges from these guys !! real nice work  :yesnod:
can also get repair kits from yearone etc
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

I got 1 new one from Year One then saw new replacements on eBay for about 30 each. (I paid 80.00)

charger2fast4u

Quote from: b5blue on December 21, 2009, 07:06:22 PM
I got 1 new one from Year One then saw new replacements on eBay for about 30 each. (I paid 80.00)

are you saying you got 1 new hinge from yearone? or a rebuild kit? i was on the phone with yearone couple months ago asking about replacement hinges. they told me they have no idea if and when they will get any hinges in stock because nobody is making repros at this time.

b5blue

No a brand new hinge...drivers side....1 year ago. I'll check around for you.  :2thumbs:

b5blue

OK a quick scan of "mopar hinge" didn't flush up the ones I saw but it did come up with plenty of do it yourself kits. They are out there just keep looking the tops are not normally worn badly. (all I needed was drivers bottom) There was a used set for 35 bucks shipped. (you could experiment on)

Silver R/T

did you try installing bushings/pins in your original hinges?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

b5blue

No I just needed the 1 so I bit the bullet on about 90 bucks.....I drive mine daily. I'm certain I saw them for 30.00+ shipping on eBay not long ago. (I was pissed)  :eek2:

motorcitydak

I paid about 10 bucks for a rebuilt kit off ebay. You get bushings and pins. You have to drill out your hinges a little to take the bushings then just pound the new pins in. You have to take them off the car tho to get the drill bit thru the bottom hinge. I dunno if my top ones were alreasy rebuilt, but they had bushings in em already
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

b5blue

I'm sure SMS would rebuild his....you just need to have "no doors!" on the car for a month or so.  :eek2:

charger2fast4u

i won't be driving it anytime soon it's pretty much a rolling shell. so i don't got to worry about not having doors on for awhile. but it will be my daily driver once done. i'm waiting till spring to take it back to the body shop and get it finished up. i need hinges because old one's are shot and i'd like to get new one's so it is easier to line up the body lines and fix the sagging doors. hmm.... the way yearone explained to me they made it seem that they never carried hinges for b bodys. i guess the hunt is on for hinges now. i would like to try and rebuild a set but not sure if they will turn out as good as some of these places can rebuild them.

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

charger2fast4u

i would never of thought about AMD. i figured they mostly do body panels. has anyone bought these. how well are they made and do they hold up over time? i know AMD is a known good quality fit company in the sheetmetal part but what about when it comes to there hinges? price doesn't seem to bad if they will last.

jaak

Quote from: b5blue on December 21, 2009, 08:24:14 PM
No I just needed the 1 so I bit the bullet on about 90 bucks.....I drive mine daily. I'm certain I saw them for 30.00+ shipping on eBay not long ago. (I was pissed)  :eek2:

Are you talking about the lower door hinges? E-booger sells them all the time on eBay and Moparts for $25 plus shipping.

Jason

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: jaak on December 22, 2009, 06:46:28 PM
Quote from: b5blue on December 21, 2009, 08:24:14 PM

Are you talking about the lower door hinges? E-booger sells them all the time on eBay and Moparts for $25 plus shipping.

Jason
Yep,cause they are the same as older style dodge pick-ups and Ramchargers. This means they were available alot longer since they stopped building that style truck in 1993.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

b5blue

mopar_nut_440_6

I would just order the pin and bushing kit. It only takes about and hour to do all 4 hinges. You just knock the pins out, remove the bushings, drill them out to 13/32 and install new bushings and pins. Super easy!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on December 23, 2009, 11:01:29 PM
I would just order the pin and bushing kit. It only takes about and hour to do all 4 hinges. You just knock the pins out, remove the bushings, drill them out to 13/32 and install new bushings and pins. Super easy!

Thats good advice. It is very easy to do. And much less money.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

vancamp

just go to the Help section of your local parts store and look for part #38382 bushing and pin sets, or call almost nos in hartland wisconsin rich berlisk was rebuilding hinges for year one

BigBlackDodge

Thats what I did........and saved a alot of money. Doors close with easy now and NO SAGGING. :2thumbs:

BBD

Chatt69chgr

Are the door hinges on a 69 the same as a 68.  And the number given above: part number 38382.  Is this a Mopar part number?  Or an aftermarket supplier? 

Charger-Bodie

charger2fast4u

now that you say that i might go this route sounds pretty easy to do is there any kit thats better then the other or are they all good