News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Complete Winter Idiot

Started by Arthu®, December 20, 2009, 10:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthu®

Quote from: Bob on December 29, 2009, 11:03:40 AM
Quote from: Arthu® on December 29, 2009, 10:25:19 AM
I have another question for you guys. Here a lot of cars block their grilles with cardboard or plastic when it becomes really cold and snowy. The only purpose I can think of is to make the car warm up faster, is that the only reason or is there something that I'm missing?

Arthur

Correct Arthur, speedier warm ups and when it's bone chilling cold it will help maintain operating temperature. It's something you have to watch carefully. The possibility of overheating is greater so keep an eye on the temp gage.
:Twocents:

Thanks that's what I was guessing, I didn't plan on doing it myself my car seems right at home in the cold. No starting problems or warming up problems, probably because it was made to survive the russian winters... Which are far worse than what we are getting here. Was just wondering if maybe there was another reason for it.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

hemigeno

Blocking off the radiator opening is a lot more important/useful for a diesel-powered vehicle than for a gas burner.  Diesels need temperature and compression to make power, and fairly cold weather can really affect their performance - especially on short trips when the engine hardly reaches operating temperature.  Even driving at highway speeds, most diesel vehicles don't need but a fraction of their cooling capacities in cold weather.  As already stated though, when the radiator is partially blocked you'll have to keep an eye on the temp gauge to make sure it doesn't overheat if the air temp gets too warm on a nice(er) day.

Arthu®

That makes perfect sense, thanks. It's definitely an experience, this thing called winter.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986