News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 problems

Started by Todd Wilson, December 18, 2009, 06:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

So 2 weeks ago I drive the old 74 Dodge truck in the blizzard.  It did well like it always does.  3 days later and -0 temps  I fire it up to drive. Let the truck warm up and always do the N thing for a minute or 2 on a cold start up.  back out and leave. Get on the main road and its stuck in low/first while the selctor is in D. Half a block it shifts and all is well. Thought ok it musta been cold from sitting 3 days in -0 temps. Get to where I am going.  Go to back out and the truck wont move unless you rev the poopoo out of it and it finally backs up. Acts like the E brake is on. Let off the gas and she stops instantly. Driving forward appears to be fine. Go to my next stop without any further problems. Hour later I leave there for home. She is slipping real bad now. Drive easy the tranny shifts just fine. Put any amount of throttle in it and the 727 starts slipping.   Get home and check everything.  Low,2nd,D all appear to be fine except they slip under any normal amount of throttle.   Truck wants to move forward in N.   Reverse will back up with a lot of effort and instant stopping if you come off the gas.  IN park if you bump the throttle the truck will drift forward until it hits the park pin. It appears to not be trying to move forward very hard but does move.

Today I drain the tork convt and refill with trans x and some fluid. The reverse problem is still there but seems to be much less effort to back out now but still stops when off the throttle. All other positions do the same as before. I will run it again tomorrow for  while and see if something was ticky in the valve body and the trans x takes care of it.

Gear selector and all linkage appears to be where it needs to be.

Any ideas what went haywire? I am affraid a rebuild is in the future.

Todd

wrench

the future is now!! the rear clutch is seizing from being burnt which is why the vehicle wants to go forward in neutral,the front clutch is also burnt making reverse and 3rd gear slip.probably for the same reason as the rear clutch. common loss of pressure??

ACUDANUT

Wow, we did not get -0 degree temps here in Gardner Ks. It's only 3 hours away too. :shruggy:

Todd Wilson

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 18, 2009, 11:23:00 PM
Wow, we did not get -0 degree temps here in Gardner Ks. It's only 3 hours away too. :shruggy:

We hit -6 one night.

Todd

moparguy01

You ought to give Jamey a call, he'd probably know what the heck is going on.

RD

todd, let me know when you need one.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

charger2fast4u

to me it sounds like the clutches/bands are slipping in the trans. a rebuild is the only fix. almost the same exact problem happen to me and my 727. as long as you don't go much above idle it won't slip. as soon as you do it starts and doesn't want to go. did you drop the trans pan and look at the filter? when i dropped mine my filter was so dirty that it wouldn't suck any oil through thus burning up the bands/clutch. that's what i get for buying a car and not draining all fluids right away.

jeryst

Same thing happened to me. I tried transx, and it seemed to fix the problem. 30 miles later, I lost everything. After it cooled down, I was able to get it to move by revving it, same as before.

Got it rebuilt. Works like a charm now.

charger2fast4u

sometimes a complete oil flush will fix the problem. other times not so lucky. if you don't mind spending the money for some new trans oil. you could unhook the return line to the trans from the radiator and put a bucket under it  and run the car for awhile. while you do this be sure to keep pouring new oil in the filler tube so you don't run the trans dry. once you see clean oil coming out hook up the return line and top off the trans with oil. i tried this but got no luck with it. my trans was toast. also you could have a friend shift through the gears when flushing the system.

John_Kunkel

The rear clutch is the problem and nothing but removal/disassembly is gonna save it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.