News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP PLEASE!

Started by NichIowa, December 04, 2005, 10:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NichIowa

I recently aquired a 440 and today I began disassembly.  One of the pistons seems like it could be rusted to the wall.  there is alot of corrosion on the top of the piston.  the kicker is this particular piston is at TDC, so it has so little to go.  Any tips?  Any help is appreciated.

Blown70

Quote from: NichIowa on December 04, 2005, 10:26:05 PM
I recently aquired a 440 and today I began disassembly.   One of the pistons seems like it could be rusted to the wall.   there is alot of corrosion on the top of the piston.   the kicker is this particular piston is at TDC, so it has so little to go.   Any tips?   Any help is appreciated.

What are your goals if you are going ot reuse I would tap lightly,  then apply some sort of liquid wrench to it overnight.  Then try again.  Or you can do what I did with the last one as I will only use the block for mock up

USE A BFH..(BIG  F$%^$#@ Hammer)

Tom

NichIowa

I plan to use the block only, will hitting the pistons to hard damage the block or were you refering to reusing the pistons?

Blown70

Quote from: NichIowa on December 04, 2005, 10:32:22 PM
I plan to use the block only, will hitting the pistons to hard damage the block or were you refering to reusing the pistons?

Usually the ones I have seen the Rings are the ones that were the problem not the piston itself.  Usually with gentle tapping they will come off with no problems.  However that being said I have see a buddy torch one out because he could not move it any other way.

Also, the block usually does not get a lot of dammage esp if you rebuild you will most likely be smoothing or cutting ( boring) it anyway

Tom

NichIowa

yes, I definitely have a lot of mill work to be done, bore, hone and deck milling.  I am  just paranoid, I do not want to mess this block up.  on another note I have tried little taps, hitting the &$*& out of it and not even a nudge.  are you saying spray some WD on there and let it sit?  again I thank you for the help.

Blown70

Quote from: NichIowa on December 04, 2005, 10:40:09 PM
yes, I definitely have a lot of mill work to be done, bore, hone and deck milling.   I am   just paranoid, I do not want to mess this block up.   on another note I have tried little taps, hitting the &$*& out of it and not even a nudge.   are you saying spray some WD on there and let it sit?   again I thank you for the help.

Yes, I personally do not like WD but if that is what you have yes use it.  Anything to sit on it.

I will say the worst case you will have to torch out the piston keeping away from the cylinder wall and mill out the problem area later.

Give it a few days.... Now an old timer once told me ATF( tranny fluid) will help to break something like this lose.  Never tried it,  so not sure if that would help.

Tom

NichIowa

Thats even better cause I dont have any WD ( I was gonna go get some) but I do have a pint of ATF.  I will give it a try and see how it works.  Thanks
Ramsey

Chryco Psycho

if you have to cut or break the piston to remove it do it , the block will live as long as you dont beat on the cylinder wall

cudaken

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil with luck as well. Soak the top and bottom of the pistion as well. Flip the block over and try to get some oil on to the oil rings.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Believe it or not, I once even used a can of Coca-Cola to free up a rusty 360.