News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What torque converter to wake up my new 69 Runner, with 440 and 3.91 gears?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, December 17, 2009, 01:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

Hi there,

I am very happy to be back into the classic muscle car Mopar scene and just picked up a pretty sweet looking ralleye green 69 Roadrunner, with black steel rims and black fiberglass lift off 6-pack hood (unfortuantey no 6 pack carb set-up).

My Roadrunner is running essentially a stock 1970 440 engine, built to stock specs., but running a slightly hotter cam than stock (possibly a Purple 509 cam but not certain if its a 509 or not but was told it was but have no documentation on the cam but its not stock, at least slightly hotter).
Engine is also running Hedman Headers, 800 Carb, and some type of high performance dual plane intake manifold (but nothing fancy).

Car has a stock torque flight 727 with 3.91 gears in a 8 3/4 rear end and runs pretty good as she sits, but I know a nice torque converter for street action will really wake her up coming out of the hole, etc.

What torque converter (specific brand and stall and best place to buy it) would you guys recommend for the street, that will really wake her up based upon the combo and gears described above, and the car will be driven on the street full time as a street car, but I have high tolerances for looser converters and running a 3000 stall for me is no problem. Car does have a tranny cooler installed on it but nothing fancy and not realy big.  Also, does it make sense from a performance view to throw in a shift kit if I put in a converter in my stock 727?

Also, since we are on the topic of performance, what else would really wake up the car without breaking the bank?  I was thinking throwing on some alum. edelbrook performer heads and how much more HP do you think that would give me as the heads I am ruuning are stock 440 heads (and nothing that special in my opinion).

Thanks in advance and if you want to see pics of the car feel free to check out this link as she is a looker, and the least picture link is actually a video with the car idling and then being revved up a bit.

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/misc/69roadrunner/

I am REALLY glad to be back into the classic Mopar muscle car family again, and this car has always being my favorite body style and this one is a keeper for me!  :cheers:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

mopar_nut_440_6

Welcome back to the scene!

In my opinion sort out what you are doing with the engine prior to buying your converter. If you swap heads you may also want to get rid of the old school 509 cam. There are much better options out there now which improve vacuum and performance. Don't get me wrong I have two 440's with 509 cams and have run them for years but...

So, regardless of what you decide you will want to install a shift kit for sure. I would recommend a stage 2 shift kit for street/strip use.

If you keep the 509 I would recommend at least a 2800-3200 stall. I am by know means no expert but have run the 509 for years on the street and strip and this seems to work.

Cheers,

James

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

1Bad70Charger

Thanks James and certainly good advice.   I am a on a tight budget and wouldn't  mind throwing in a nice street/strip cam to really up the the 440 cid, and call it day for now. If i kept the heads stock and just did a cam, new valve springs, converter, shift kit, what cam would work well for my set-up that will really wake her up and still be street friendly?   :cheers:   The heads are expensive and I am thinking I can hold off on the heads until I do a 500 stroker in a year or two.

Probably going to step things up in a year or two and make her a 500 cid stroker, and is there a cam that would work well with both my stock 440 and a 500 cid stroker in the future?
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

mopar_nut_440_6

There are many experts on this site who can help you select a cam. I am old school and will also be asking for the same advice. Ron (firefighter3931) can help you out with a new cam selection and I am sure he will chime in soon.

If it was me, this is what I would do. Leave the engine alone as I am quite certain you will not be able to pick a cam which will work for the current engine and the stroker. If you just want to perk up the performance for the time being then build a good automatic which will live behind the stroker you plan on building and select a convertor which will work for the current engine and the stroker. Again, I am no expert as I have run stick cars for years, but can only offer any advice I have from my real world experience when I ran automatics.

I have an old school stroker with a 509 which puts 500 HP to the ground and runs a 3800 stall. With the additional torque of the stroker it actually stalls around 3200. Perhaps there is a happy medium here but you will want to decide exactly what you want to build prior to any decision. I do not like to waste money and I am sure you do not either is take your time, do your research and make the right decision. There is a sticky on proven engine combos which will help you decide on a engine combination you may want to run. If something there looks promising then you can decide what would meet all of your needs.

I am not sure I have helped but hopefully I can help you save some cash!

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

1Bad70Charger

James,

That is certainly good advice as I have built up for performance many cars, mostly Chevys, and have learned that you want to build them up based upon where you are going with the future, and you certainy don't want to pay for things twice, like cams, converters,  gears, heads, etc., etc.

I need to decide if I am going to just build up my 440 with new heads, cam and intake, or build a 500+ stroker making power levels at least where you are at , 500 to wheels is a some GREAT POWER and should be right around 600 at the flywheel.

For my first season I may just throw in a converter to wake the car up off the line and a shift kit and just enjoy the car.

I do intend on driving it all over about 2000 miles a year.  :cheers:

Ghoste

Esepcially converters, since they really seem to perform in a camshaft dependent way. ;)

1Bad70Charger

I am leaning towards just leaving the car the way it is the first season with its 509 purple cam and just driving it all over.

Getting back to my original question if that is what I do and just wanted to throw in a converter matched to the 509 purple cam and my 3.91 gears, what torque converter (Brand and stall) do you guys recommend for the street, that will WAKE HER UP but still be street friendly and what brand and type of shift kit?

Thanks!  :cheers:

Ghoste

TransGo TF2 for the transmission and call one of the converter mfg's like Coan or Dynamic or A&A with your specs and goals and they'll hook you up.

1Bad70Charger

Thanks for your feedback Ghoste.  Where does one get that shift kit from, do you have a weblink or number?  :cheers:

1Bad70Charger

green69rt

OK, I like this question because my first charger had a similar setup.  If I had it to do over again I'd add things in different order.  

First - deep sump transmission pan and extended pickup (adds cooling to the trans and 4 extra quarts of fluid to preserve the trans.)
second - transmission cooler (not the one inside the radiator.) These two things prepare you for the extra heat that a high stall speed torque converter generates.
third - shift kit, I personally like the full manual valve body.  Be aware that it reverses the shift pattern. (Edit, just reread that you already have a shift kit and cooler.)
fourth - now you are ready for the torque converter.
fifth - modern cam ( go roller if possible, you'll be glad in the long run.)

After these thing are done, and they are all fairly small cost items, then think about better heads, maybe a better ignition, don't forget the timing chain (a double roller really makes things more precise.)

1Bad70Charger

Thanks for you insight Green69RT, seems like a solid game plan!  :cheers:

Anybody,

What's the perfect modern hydraulic street/strip cam that will wake up the beast resting inside my freshly built 440 motor (don't want to go solid roller on a street car), but I certainly want at least a 112 LSA (need a choppy idle); but more importantly a nice street friendly, yet agressive street cam, that will make great power throughout the rpm band.

Keep in mind I will be keepin my 3.91 gears in place and will be stalling her up once the cam is selected (or if I decide to stick with my boring purple 509 cam).

Keep in mind that this cam will eventually be matched also to alum. RPM Edelbrock heads, as that is where I will be going with this in the future!  :cheers:

Also, will the car be faster in the 1/4 mile the way it sits right now with a cam and converter swap, or by swapping the heads and doing a converter (and keeping the current 509 purple camshaft)?

firefighter3931

A good converter choice would be the Dynamic 10in street/strip converter. Fwiw, your engine sounds too mellow to have the 509 cam....more than likely you have the 284/484 or something similar.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 18, 2009, 08:31:45 AM
A good converter choice would be the Dynamic 10in street/strip converter. Fwiw, your engine sounds too mellow to have the 509 cam....more than likely you have the 284/484 or something similar.

Ron

It does sound fairly mellow and the cam is probalby only slightly above stock specs. even though the guy was told 509 and your probably right!  :brickwall:

What stall Dynaminc converveter would you recommend for my current set-up (3000)?

Ghoste

It will be around 3000 with that converter but remember that stall speed is also a function of torque so the rest of your combo will affect it.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on December 18, 2009, 09:17:41 AM

Ron

It does sound fairly mellow and the cam is probalby only slightly above stock specs. even though the guy was told 509 and your probably right!  :brickwall:

What stall Dynaminc converveter would you recommend for my current set-up (3000)?

I wouldn't be too disappointed....the 509 isn't much of a street cam. Definately not a fan of those archaic grinds !  :eek2:

See my post above ; Dynamic 10in should do the job !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Ron

Ron,

I was told the cam in there is only a step up or two from stock specs so what would be the specs. on the cam you believe I have at 0.050, and what lope seperation does that sound to you?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on December 18, 2009, 02:56:08 PM

Ron

Ron,

I was told the cam in there is only a step up or two from stock specs so what would be the specs. on the cam you believe I have at 0.050, and what lope seperation does that sound to you?

It sounds mild.....probably short duration and wide lobes (110+). I'm getting the feeling you want something more agressive.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 18, 2009, 04:24:29 PM
Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on December 18, 2009, 02:56:08 PM

Ron

Ron,

It sounds mild.....probably short duration and wide lobes (110+). I'm getting the feeling you want something more agressive.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Ron,

How could you tell I am looking for something more aggressive?  :lol:  :lol:

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 18, 2009, 10:13:26 AM
Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on December 18, 2009, 09:17:41 AM

Ron

It does sound fairly mellow and the cam is probalby only slightly above stock specs. even though the guy was told 509 and your probably right!  :brickwall:

I wouldn't be too disappointed....the 509 isn't much of a street cam. Definately not a fan of those archaic grinds !  :eek2:

See my post above ; Dynamic 10in should do the job !  :2thumbs:

Ron

Ron,

Do you recommend a transgo shift kit along with the Dynamic 10 inch converter on a street car or no shift kit and what can I expect to pay for the Dynamic 10 inch converter as there website does not advertise any prices?  :shruggy:

firefighter3931

The transgo tf-2 kit is excellent.  :2thumbs:

Check with Dynamic on the 10in converter....should be in the $450 range.  :scratchchin:

Ron

greenpigs

I see you like links so: http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/10streetcon7.html

They will have most of what you will ever want and depending on were you live are cheaper than Summits\Jegs.  Neither of them carry Dynamic converters. Ron recommended the same converter for me also and if it hasn't been mentioned a deep pan and auxiliary cooler are a must.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

1Bad70Charger

73TXRallye440

Quote from: green69rt on December 17, 2009, 11:36:56 PM

First - deep sump transmission pan and extended pickup (adds cooling to the trans and 4 extra quarts of fluid to preserve the trans.)

how much is a deep sump transmission pan and extended pickup? Got a link to those so I can order online?