News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

replacement metal

Started by ionracer24, December 15, 2009, 11:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ionracer24

hiya guys,,,,again hehe,

are any of the replacement sheet metal companies better or  worse???? i'm looking at auto body specialties in particulare just cause their prices are somewhat less than like amd or classic etc.....thanx in advance for all the great advice u guys give.. :icon_smile_big:
Real race cars have three pedals......

charger_fan_4ever

AMD fits the best. Nothing but AMD for me.

Troy

The major manufacturers for Charger parts are AMD and Goodmark. AMD parts are known to fit much better and the thickness of the metal is more like the original. Many companies are resellers for both. Auto Body Specialties used to carry Goodmark but I got a set of bumpers from them that were made by someone else. Classic Body Designs also makes quarters and door skins (and fenders at some point) but if you're looking for the lowest price then you'll probably never purchase from them. Look in our Group Buys, Discounts, Sales, and Special Pricing section for some dealers that are offering discounts. You can also compare prices on eBay by typing AMD in the search box with whatever you are looking for.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ionracer24

thanx very much troy for the tips, now that i know i can start cutting out the old rot, and get this baby rollin!! also, is the best way to drill the spot welds or chisle?   my body guy says chisle but i'd rather not warp the metal under the skins...

69charger440

I just ordered Both AMD quarter panels, AMD both trunk extensions, GOODMARK driver outer rear wheel housing, AMD both corner valances, and AMD front valance ($1900 shipped).  from Dixie Restoration (770)975-9898. Great people to deal with. They can order ANY AMD metal you need. I did alot of comparing prices and they are the cheapest I have found.  :Twocents:

Sean
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Troy

Quote from: 69charger440 on December 16, 2009, 03:23:49 PM
I just ordered Both AMD quarter panels, AMD both trunk extensions, GOODMARK driver outer rear wheel housing, AMD both corner valances, and AMD front valance ($1900 shipped).  from Dixie Restoration (770)975-9898. Great people to deal with. They can order ANY AMD metal you need. I did alot of comparing prices and they are the cheapest I have found.  :Twocents:

Sean

I think you picked a good vendor but before you mess with that outer wheel house make sure it fits (it probably won't).
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33799.msg702770.html#msg702770

Quote from: ionracer24 on December 16, 2009, 03:07:02 PM
thanx very much troy for the tips, now that i know i can start cutting out the old rot, and get this baby rollin!! also, is the best way to drill the spot welds or chisle?   my body guy says chisle but i'd rather not warp the metal under the skins...
If you drill them you'll be drilling into metal you want to keep. that's ok if you can plug weld from the back side. I've used spot weld cutters and a chisel with good results in the past. Recently (on 1hotdaytona's advice) I just ground them off.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ionracer24

were those full quarters u ordered or just the skins???  even so thats a good price for all those parts!!  thanx for the info man, my car already has the quarter skins and the sail panels but whoever welded the skins did a horrible job and it looks like crap, has waves and doesnt line up, so i'm thinking of going with full quarters because the top of them are rotted on the rear sectiona and near the trunk gutters and i'm probly goint to replace the roof skin cause mine has alot of holes and i dont want to spend eternity patching up thousands of little divots and holes  :brickwall: the best price i've seen is 599 for a roof skin.....

69charger440

I think you picked a good vendor but before you mess with that outer wheel house make sure it fits (it probably won't).
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33799.msg702770.html#msg702770

Quote from: ionracer24 on December 16, 2009, 03:07:02 PM
If you drill them you'll be drilling into metal you want to keep. that's ok if you can plug weld from the back side. I've used spot weld cutters and a chisel with good results in the past. Recently (on 1hotdaytona's advice) I just ground them off.

Troy

Well I dont need to replace the whole outer housing. I could just pull a patch out of the new panel, if the new one end up fitting like crap! I just have a Rust hole about 2inches wide by 6inches long! Seems like a waste of money if the wont fit, and I will make sure goodmark know to! I will not pay full price for a panel that doesn't fit properly! Auto Metal Direct has the right side panel, but has yet to make the left one. And of course that is the one I need. :brickwall: Thanks for the heads up Troy. Will make sure to look at that closely!

69charger440

Quote from: ionracer24 on December 16, 2009, 05:47:51 PM
were those full quarters u ordered or just the skins???  even so thats a good price for all those parts!!  thanx for the info man, my car already has the quarter skins and the sail panels but whoever welded the skins did a horrible job and it looks like crap, has waves and doesnt line up, so i'm thinking of going with full quarters because the top of them are rotted on the rear sectiona and near the trunk gutters and i'm probly goint to replace the roof skin cause mine has alot of holes and i dont want to spend eternity patching up thousands of little divots and holes  :brickwall: the best price i've seen is 599 for a roof skin.....

Well I order full quarter panels. Mine also had skin previously installed. Terrible job on installation, they used rivets to install the quarter skins. Plus the drivers side was smashed in about two inches, and like an good body man does, they filled it with bondo :sarcasmalert: :nutkick: But call Dixie Restoration and they might get it cheaper for you. Word of advice order all your panels at once. You will save hundreds on shipping! My shipping was only $125.00. If you buy quarter panel separate your looking at $250.00. Plus, what ever else you plan on getting later!

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 69charger440 on December 16, 2009, 07:55:09 PM

Auto Metal Direct has the right side panel, but has yet to make the left one. And of course that is the one I need. :brickwall:

Which panel are you reffering too ?

Hemidog

AMD har both sides outer wheelhouse for 68-70 b-bodys it that's what you're talking about....

69charger440

those are the old one that dont fit properly. They are making new ones. They finished the left right side but not the left yet. I talked to them on monday and that is what they told me.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 69charger440 on December 17, 2009, 05:19:42 PM
those are the old one that dont fit properly. They are making new ones. They finished the left right side but not the left yet. I talked to them on monday and that is what they told me.

did they say when the other side will be done ?

69charger440

No they couldn't give me a finish product date. So that is why I order the other ones! We will see how it goes.

ionracer24

i'll be needing both outter wheel houses as well, its good to know all these company's make sheet metal available, you can almost build the whole car,  i hope someone comes out with a hood and fenders soon, cause mine are gonna need some serious straightening or fiber glas i think hehe :rotz:

69charger440

THEY ALREADY DO                 AMD BABY

Hemidog

elitecustombody

AMD would be my first choice,second would be Goodmark,most AMD parts fit like a glove,crisp lines,clean flanges .

With over $40k worth of parts sold this year,no complaints ,

If you need a quote on AMD email elitecustombody@bellsouth.net

Stefan

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

1970Moparmann

I purchased the following from AMD, and will never buy anything else-

-Rear quarters
-Rocker panels
-front valance
-floor panels
-rear tail panel
-rear valance
-end caps

All fit like a glove!  If you want it done right, buy AMD.   :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ionracer24

yah, but they dont have hoods and fenders for 70 models do they??? :brickwall:

GreenMachine

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 18, 2009, 09:23:02 AM

-Rear quarters
-Rocker panels
-front valance
-floor panels
-rear tail panel
-rear valance
-end caps

All fit like a glove!  If you want it done right, buy AMD.   :2thumbs:

Have you received your front valence yet? I'm still waiting for mine (1970). I called AMD and they said they are in production now and I should have mine within 30 days, that was about a week ago.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

69charger440

should get everything on monday

1970Moparmann

Quote from: GreenMachine on December 18, 2009, 05:10:41 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 18, 2009, 09:23:02 AM

-Rear quarters
-Rocker panels
-front valance
-floor panels
-rear tail panel
-rear valance
-end caps

All fit like a glove!  If you want it done right, buy AMD.   :2thumbs:

Have you received your front valence yet? I'm still waiting for mine (1970). I called AMD and they said they are in production now and I should have mine within 30 days, that was about a week ago.

Mine was for my 68... Fit like a glove.  I did get one of the first set of Rocker Panels... Very impressed also...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: ionracer24 on December 18, 2009, 02:19:50 PM

No as of right now nobody makes 70 front fender,hoods.

ionracer24

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 22, 2009, 09:54:23 AM
Quote from: ionracer24 on December 18, 2009, 02:19:50 PM

No as of right now nobody makes 70 front fender,hoods.

thanx fan.....do u know if it will be in the near future anytime soon?????