News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

paint

Started by poppa, December 16, 2009, 08:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Does the radiator support get painted black or body color??? Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

69charger440

I just sanded mine down. Mine was the color of the car on the inside of the engine compartment side and on top, and place behind the grille! I am sure someone that knows for sure will chime in.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Troy

It is mostly black. The paint was sprayed on from the bottom and in a hurry so it's not really clean and there's some overspray. It's main purpose was so you wouldn't see body color through the radiator. Darker colored cars (black, dark blue) didn't get it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

poppa

So,is the top piece black too....or body color?? Thanks for the quick replies.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

69charger440

Dont mean to hijack the tread, but TROY's pictures reminded me of something. Troy, where can I get the studs(4) that go through the inside of the fender to hold the grille bracket assembly? Two of mine broke when taking them off.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

hemi-hampton

Quote from: poppa on December 16, 2009, 08:35:17 PM
So,is the top piece black too....or body color?? Thanks for the quick replies.

Very top peice remains body color. LEON.

Troy

Quote from: Hemidog on December 17, 2009, 10:59:35 AM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22608.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5621.0.html
I was trying to find that top link but gave up. Thanks.

Both of my cars show how sloppy it was. The painter was below the car spraying up so the upper rad support hardly got any paint inside it but the bottom edges of it got hit pretty well. On my blue car you can still see the blue on the inner edges of the indentation on the fender.

Quote from: 69charger440 on December 16, 2009, 09:09:13 PM
Dont mean to hijack the tread, but TROY's pictures reminded me of something. Troy, where can I get the studs(4) that go through the inside of the fender to hold the grille bracket assembly? Two of mine broke when taking them off.
I'm not sure. Try Bill Allphin at A+M High Tech (http://www.amhightechauto.com/) or Tom at R/T Specialties (http://www.rtspecialties.net/).

Troy

maxwellwedge

Troy - I see a lot more cars that are blacked out from the top going downwards. Ehrenberg always goes with "this guy in a pit spraying upward" explanation which does apply to certain years and plants but not so much to the majority of the "muscle era" stuff we play with.

I will concede that some seem to have an upward direction black-out but the bigger number is with downward (observed from my cars and  pics of dozens and dozens of real nice survivors).

Just my   :Twocents:

Troy

Interesting. I've never noticed the upper rad support with paint on the inner part and a clear spot underneath but I never really paid attention until recently. I guess it doesn't matter too much as long as the middle part behind the grill is black. It would make more sense if the painter were in a position so that the gun was just about centered in the radiator hole. Then a guy could hit all the necessary spots by waving his arm in a circle.

Who painted the pinch weld under the rockers?

Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Troy on December 18, 2009, 01:53:27 PM
Interesting. I've never noticed the upper rad support with paint on the inner part and a clear spot underneath but I never really paid attention until recently. I guess it doesn't matter too much as long as the middle part behind the grill is black. It would make more sense if the painter were in a position so that the gun was just about centered in the radiator hole. Then a guy could hit all the necessary spots by waving his arm in a circle.

Troy

Troy

Closer pics of my blue R/T.

Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Troy on December 18, 2009, 01:53:27 PM

Troy
The rad support black-out was done pretty well after the body was painted. The pinch weld black-out was done when the car was pretty well completed. If it was done at all. I have seen - none, sprayed on matte black, brushed on matte black (some L.A. cars) and sprayed on gloss black (2 of my Daytona's and Malcolm's survivor Daytona). By looking at your pics it is evident that it was not shot out from beneath the car. 70 E-Bodies got their cowl's blacked-out as well - which would have been done from up top. But whatever it takes to get it done. To all you boys and girls out there - If you have most of the original black-out showing take plenty of pics and document it before restoring.  :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

I did a Black T/A Challenger & even though exterior was X9 Black the Core support was still sprayed a flat black blackout treatment. LEON.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 19, 2009, 04:46:59 PM
I did a Black T/A Challenger & even though exterior was X9 Black the Core support was still sprayed a flat black blackout treatment. LEON.

Yup - I have an X9 Challenger R/T with black-out on the core support. I have a lot of dark color cars that aren't supposed to have it and they have it.

Troy

I took a bunch of pics of my LA built 70 Challenger tonight. They covered a whole lot more than either of my 68 Chargers - including the upper rad support - and it definitely looks like it was shot from above.

Troy

maxwellwedge

Here is a one owner survivor 70 - built at Ham. Geno is looking at the headlights and  :drool5:   :drool5:   :icon_smile_big:

maxwellwedge

E-Bodies also had the front valance installed and the inside rear half of it had black-out as well.

hemi-hampton

I've seen original Charger & Coronet Valances blacked out. Thats why you'll see that line going from black to blue at bottom of the core support on that Blue core support pics. Valance was installed & received no blackout at very bottom of support. Valance obstructed it.  LEON.

Troy

Some of my early (October) LA 70 Challenger - disregard the darker (incorrect) green that was sprayed in the engine compartment and the Plum Crazy passenger fender.

Troy

maxwellwedge

They hit your valance pretty darn good!

hemi-hampton

Never seen a Core support blacked out across the whole top on a e-body. Sometimes on top sides but not top middle. Is that a LA (E) thing? I beleive my original 72 charger is blacked out across top though.  LEON.

AKcharger

I cringe  :eek2: when I see a newly restored car in a light color (yellow, lime green, white) and you see the body color through the grill; 1) Looks AWFUL 2) Shows whoever dids the restore didn't do their homework

:Twocents:

Troy

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 21, 2009, 09:23:27 PM
They hit your valance pretty darn good!
With the paint and with whatever they ran into...

Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 21, 2009, 11:47:37 PM
Never seen a Core support blacked out across the whole top on a e-body. Sometimes on top sides but not top middle. Is that a LA (E) thing? I beleive my original 72 charger is blacked out across top though.  LEON.

I have a survivor 70 Challenger from Ham. that has the top side blacked-out right across. The original coolant label has black underneath where the label has shrank. That guy didn't care that day!