News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

saddle color & general lee color

Started by nelson_audet, August 28, 2009, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson_audet

i see on the legendary website 2 color

saddle and general lee color

any of you have the picture of this 2 color, i would like to see the difference.. if i unerstand, general lee color is the light color  and saddle is the more dark color of the early episode?
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

mopar0166

correct georgia cars had saddle tan and the later cars had light tan

nelson_audet

i know this but i want to know if the color called general lee color is the light tan
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

mopar0166

TylerCharger69

I think IMO....that both colors are acceptable.   I've seen some t.v. episodes where the interior was black....but the saddle from i remember was the most common.....The lighter tan color I believe, and I'm sure GL gurus will correct me if I'm wrong, was a spray dye and not actually a factory color.

Mike DC

Some quick GL history clears this up:

Seasons #1-4:  

GLs were built by a couple of different shops outside the studio.  All had small pushbars, the 1969 cars still had visible signal lights on the fenders, etc.  These cars had either factory tan upholstery or (more commonly) it was sprayed with some shade of tan/brown vinyl paint.  Chargers with factory "saddle Tan" interiors were left unsprayed during these episodes, so people building GL replicas to match this era usually just use the factory Saddle Tan color.

This car was factory "Saddle Tan" and the rollbar padding was sprayed by the studio to match.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mid-season#4 until the end of season#7:

The film crew's mechanics took over the job of building GLs themselves.  They made some changes and also made the cars more consistent.  All cars got a wider pushbar, the signal lights ALL disappeared on both 68 and 69 cars, and the interior was switched to the lighter beige "Buckskin" color.  Legendary's "General Lee" color is very light beige, similar to this one.  In these years of the show, ALL the cars got the interior resprayed, including the cars they got with factory "Saddle Tan" upholstery.

A later-series type car, the upholsterly is sprayed with "Buckskin" light beige vinyl paint.

Notice that it's a 1969 car (dashpad) but the signal lights are still erased.

mopar0166

the first season had saddle tan, the rest had spray die sprayed interior , which you can now buy as a "general Lee Interior color(Light Tan),   the kicker is that

for all those that have watched the dukes and know the dukes, the car they originally bought was an all black car which means that they sprayed in orange over black and then sprayed the interior .. take it as you will

cooter might have also had a saddle interior somewhere in his yard...  

the engine compartment was def black

Mike DC

for all those that have watched the dukes and know the dukes, the car they originally bought was an all black car which means that they sprayed in orange over black and then sprayed the interior .. take it as you will

cooter might have also had a saddle interior somewhere in his yard...

Not quite.  The interior of the pre-GL black Chargers in that episode were already sprayed light buckskin. 

(And headrests were removed, and the signal lights were filled, and the backup lights were filled, and the vinyl top trim was there, and the CB antenna was there . . . )

Lord Warlock

can someone post pictures of the side by side looks of general lee covers and saddle tan covers?  When i ordered replacement seatcovers from Legendary,  the covers that i got looked like the bottom half of the old ones, but were that color all over.  My original seat covers looked two tone, like saddle tan on the bottom part of the seats (sides and front below seating area) and the cushion area you sat on was a lighter color that looked more like real leather, almost a natural leather color.  While i must say that the new covers look sharp now that they are installed, they don't look right to me since mine didn't look that way when i got the car in 78.  the car had factory tan seats and they were stock when i got the car in 78. 

I can probably dig up some pics of what i'm talking about showing the difference in color on the originals. I thought it was due to fading or too much sun since the leather was old and torn in places, but was definitely not the same saddle color that i got on the new seatcovers.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

towscum

i found 2 colors on the SEM website, #15093 light buckskin and #15033 saddle tan, are these the 2 colors talked about here?
1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed