News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing valve seal for 1966 383 with 516 heads.

Started by raull, November 29, 2005, 01:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raull

Hello

I was planning on replacing the valve seals on my 1966 383 engine.

I was given great advise here on smoking problems with my 383 engine. My vehicle is smoking at start ups. The compresion is good for that year & type of engine. I went to purchase the valve seals to have my friend of mine install em withought removing the heads. But the parts store (also machine shop) informed us that those valve seals for that engine were pressure install (don't have the locks on em), and he did not recommend replacing that type of seals but rather have the head machine to accept the locks as well.

I am not sure if this is true. Does anyone know or have an idea? What do you suggest?

P.S. Cuda Ken have not checked the compression recently will post it as soon as I get the chance to check it.

Chryco Psycho

replcing the seal with the stock type is still better than dryed out of broken seal in there now , you could have the heads machined for positive style seals But the heads will have to be removed to do that & then you may as well install the 1.81 exhaust valves & port them ... your call

RD

you are using the OEM umbrella valve seal correct?

sounds the machine shop is trying to get business off of you that you really do not need done.

If you plan on replacing the valve seals while the heads are on the car, make sure you get an adapter that pressurizes your cylinder so that when you remove the springs the valves do not drop into the cylinder bore.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

aifilaw

Quote from: RD on November 29, 2005, 11:51:03 AM

sounds the machine shop is trying to get business off of you that you really do not need done.

If you plan on replacing the valve seals while the heads are on the car, make sure you get an adapter that pressurizes your cylinder so that when you remove the springs the valves do not drop into the cylinder bore.

this can also be done with a plastic pen down the spark plug hole too...pressurized air route is not possible for some of us.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

RD

Quote from: aifilaw on November 29, 2005, 02:21:20 PM
Quote from: RD on November 29, 2005, 11:51:03 AM

this can also be done with a plastic pen down the spark plug hole too...pressurized air route is not possible for some of us.

go buy a air compressor! hehe j/k :D :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

cudaken

Just get Duct Tape to come over, he blows. Well I read he did. :icon_smile_big: Sorry tape. ;)

Use the stock ones for now. They are not the best, but will last for 50,000 miles.

Raull, there is a chances, seals alone will not stop all the smoke. Valve guids could still be worn. If it only smokes at start up, why mess with it? I would say by the compression readings you have a 75% chances the seals will fix it. If you are getting it done free or cheap and your friend turly knows what he is doing have at it. Just make sure he turly knows what he is doing. Nothing like a valve lock not installed right and  going bad to ruin your day and 383.

Cuda Ken
I am back

raull

Update

Took the car to my friend the mechanic. Forgot to ask him to check the compression, hopefully I will ask him tomorrow. Ok went to the machine shop to get an estimate on the heads, putting in bigger valves, porting, etc. He did ask for specific information I had no clue on. But thats another thread I might start at a later time.

I informed him on the umbrella valve seals. He did state that I could replace those, if I don't plan to use them for a long time, because there was a warning on those type of seals. The warning on those seals where that the seals have been tearing and dropping into the oil pan where the suction tube has been known to clogged up with those pieces restricting the oil passage. That was the warning that came out. I decided to go ahead and replace em as I got them really cheap.  :icon_smile_big:

I payed $5 for 16 umbrella valve seals. :icon_smile_cool:
I payed $5 for a pair of valve cover (cork).  :angel:
My friend will charge me $45 labor.  :rotz:

$55 total, I have not taken the valve covers to check them yet I hope there isn't anything I am not expecting in there.

P.S. The car smokes when I rev it up hard, either cold or warmed up.

Runner

Quote from: raull on November 29, 2005, 11:09:21 PM
P.S. The car smokes when I rev it up hard, either cold or warmed up.

:o :o :rotz: reving the motor when its cold is a bad idea

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

raull

Great news got the new seals in Vehicle doesnt smoke.  :icon_smile_big:
However the cold weather makes the vapor come out of the pipes like four to six inches of the exhaust pipes looks nice. I am happy with the car once again. thx all

Chryco Psycho

cudaken

That is normal, heck where I live and cold 20" of vabor. Told you it was not junk ;D

Ken
I am back