News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed conversion in my 73 rr what parts do i need ?

Started by rav440, December 15, 2009, 08:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

since i have the interior ripped out and have a mig welder in the garage , ive always wanted a 4 speed so now im seriously kicking around the idea of turning the rr into a 4 speed car .

so what year parts interchange with the 73 B body ? and what parts will i need for the complete conversion ?

also from what i rember reading , my 73 440 HP is set up for an automataic so there was something about the crank and the shaft on the 4 speed needing 3/4" to be cut off because the crank in the 440 is longer for the auto .  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

carolina charger

You'll need a pilot bearing to go into your existing crankshaft. The input shaft of the transmission may need to be cut off, I slid mine together and it liked about 5/8". Thats how much I took off, then everything went right together.

moparguy01

I know Keisler trans used to sell new 4 speed pedals for these cars for the price i was seeing used sets go for. You'll also need the Z-bar, bellhousing, trans, I believe the wiring has to be modified for the reverse lights.

rav440

i have  more questions

1- is a small block A833 the same as a BIG BLOCK A833 ?

2- is there a differance between the 4 spd humps for console and non console ?

3- what pistol grip would be needed for a non console bucket seat car ? pics or part # if anyone has that info

i like the non console look 
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Cooter

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that year RR shares ALOT in common with the E-body cars..Ie: Clutch pedals, Transmission (A833 E-Body and linkage rods from E-Body)...

When dealing with Chrysler A 833, there really isn't any difference in a SMC and BBC trans 23 Spline..Now, of course, you know bout the 18 Spline as 440-6 and Hemi only...

Also, There are TWO (2) Pilot Bushings when it comes to Mopars...One is the factory Pilot bushing and one is Label'd as a "Conversion" bushing..There is about .030 difference between the OUTSIDE diameter of the two...As a RULE OF THUMB not always, if the engine came in front of an automatic, you will need the Conversion bushing and factory 4-speed will need the factory bushing, but This isn't always the case I've found..You pretty much need to just get BOTH bushings and see which one yours takes....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"