News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finding a motors old home?

Started by motorcitydak, December 14, 2009, 04:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcitydak

Is there anyway to find the origional home of a motor? I have a '68 440 block that is in great shape. I have no idea what it may have come from tho. We got in in an '87 Ram a few years ago. It was removed to be rebuilt then the project was sold. The block is 60 over and fresh from the machine shop. It would need to be completely put back together, but I figure that there may be some guy with an r/t something that would love to have this thing back with his car. So, can you find the car it came from? I do not have any of the info off the block rite now, but can post it up when I get a chance to look at it
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Just 6T9 CHGR

68 & older blocks will be tough as they didnt start stamping VIN#'s till late 68 into 69.   even then, early on, there would only be the last 8 digits stamped as well....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69CoronetRT

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 14, 2009, 07:54:36 AM
68 & older blocks will be tough as they didnt start stamping VIN#'s till late 68 into 69.   even then, early on, there would only be the last 8 digits stamped as well....

FWIW..I've seen early production year VINs stamped on STL cars. :Twocents:

For the original poster, It may be possible to determine what it came from. First, is it an HP block? If it is and IF the VIN is stamped, it would show which plant the car came from. If the block was from Lynch Road (A plant), that would narrow it down to a GTX or Coronet R/T. Hamtramck (B plant) would indicate a Charger R/T. LA (E plant) would be the same as Lynch Road. St. Louis (G Plant) could indicate a GTX, Coronet R/T or, depending on the VIN sequence, a Charger R/T. IF it is from another plant, then it was from a C body.

Then, you may want to check any of the appropraite registries or message boards or with Galen to see if the car is known to exist. It can be like trying to find a needle in a haystack but some cars are reuinted with original blocks.

Good luck.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.