News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve cover questions

Started by bull, November 22, 2009, 09:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68r/t

Wow $500 for one cover :hah: I thought there was two.
I have a pair of these in my shed and I thought if I got $150 I was doing well

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 62 Max on November 29, 2009, 01:23:28 PM
When i saw the price i knew who the seller was before I ever looked.Worse than Frank Mitchell. :pity:

Thats his other eBay account I think.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

I just got my three spark plug tabs from Megaparts today so hopefully this weekend I can weld them on and report back here with the results.

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on November 30, 2009, 10:22:10 PM
I just got my three spark plug tabs from Megaparts today so hopefully this weekend I can weld them on and report back here with the results.

bull

They're coming. The welder I was going to use ran out of gas today so I'll have to wait until Saturday now. I did knock two of the busted tabs off last night and today I drilled a hole in one of the new ones to test fit. Looks like it will work pretty good provided I don't blow a hole in my valve cover with too much heat. That would be hard to do though since it's just going to be a spot weld.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

A383Wing

I don't think the welder ran out of gas....maybe "bull" did?

bull

They're done but they don't look as good as I'd like them to. I'll get some pics up later but I should have tried to find someone with a spot welder rather than try using a wire feed. No one will know once I paint them and bend them over to clamp the wires but a spot welder would have worked much better.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on December 13, 2009, 08:48:47 AM
They're done but they don't look as good as I'd like them to. I'll get some pics up later but I should have tried to find someone with a spot welder rather than try using a wire feed. No one will know once I paint them and bend them over to clamp the wires but a spot welder would have worked much better.

With a wire welder,you would have been better off drilling a hole in the valve cover and plug welding them on from inside the cover.

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on December 13, 2009, 10:40:53 AM
Quote from: bull on December 13, 2009, 08:48:47 AM

With a wire welder,you would have been better off drilling a hole in the valve cover and plug welding them on from inside the cover.

Yes, but there's something in me that has an issue with drilling a hole in a perfectly good valve cover. :P I drilled holes in the tabs so the metal would flow down to the valve cover somewhat but without any space between them the weld built up around the top of the hole. They'll work fine but you call definitely tell it's not stock with the tabs open. :shruggy:

bull

Here you go finally. Sorry the payoff is not nearly as exciting as the buildup to it. If I had it to do over again (which I might :P) I would see about having these things spot welded in place. These cannot be used twice obviously so I'd have to buy three new ones to try again. We'll see. Depends on if a guy I know has a spot welder, how much it would cost and how proficient he is with it.

Also, I will say one thing in favor of making these things yourself. Since these Megaparts reproductions are bare metal you obviously can't paint beneath the black insulation so there's going to be rust there eventually. Granted this insulation creates a pretty air tight seal so you'd probably be dead and gone by the time it becomes an issue...