News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about the old Chrysler Spitfire inline six engines

Started by Ghoste, February 12, 2010, 09:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

What years were they produced, were they all the same size, what size, what output?

Ghoste

maxwellwedge

This from another site - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11408

Check out Vintage Power Wagons, I think they have more info on those.

AFAIK the "Spitfire" is identical to all the previous 251ci engines except for the letters on the head. I'll just copy and paste the 1951 info from my spec sheet:

Engine Type: L-Head, Inline 6 Cylinder
Engine Bore & Stroke: 3-7/16" X 4-1/2"
Engine Displacement: 250.6 Cu. In.
Compression Ratio: 7.00:1
Taxable Horsepower: 28.36
Horsepower: 116 @ 3,600 RPM
Torque: 208 Ft. Lbs. @ 1,600 RPM
Normal Oil Pressure: 60 PSI

The biggest and most powerful version of that engine they used was in the '54 Windsor:

Engine Bore & Stroke: 3-7/16" X 4-3/4"
Engine Displacement: 264.5 Cu. In.
Compression Ratio: 7.00:1
Taxable Horsepower: 28.36
Horsepower: 119 @ 3,600 RPM
Torque: 218 Ft. Lbs. @ 1,600 RPM

So as you can see, they're not really powerful, but they make a good amount of torque at REALLY low RPMs, so they work allright and cruise great. I saw a lot driving at the Chrysler Club national show in Minneapolis last year, and you can't even hear them running under 30mph. From everything I've read they were insanely reliable amd well-designed, but like all flatheads they're sort of inefficient, which was why they were replaced in Dodges and Plymouths with the slant six. They were still used in tractors and stuff up until the mid-70's though.

Ghoste

Okay thanks.  All the same size and output in 1941 or did each year offer a single version that sort of evolved over time?  That is to say it may have started out as say 200 cid (just making that up) and grew over time to 264?  Or was it a case of say a 251 and a 264 ever being available at the same time for different applications?

vancamp

i have a rusty 53 chrysler windsor with a spitfire 6 in it.

hemigeno

Quote from: rp23g7 on February 15, 2010, 03:35:54 PM
Here are some pictures of Jack McCoys Spitfire Dodges

rp23g7, I fixed the problem for ya...