News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEMS

Started by Musicman, December 13, 2009, 04:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of ventilation system are you using?

CLOSED SYSTEM
12 (34.3%)
OPEN SYSTEM
11 (31.4%)
VENTED SYSTEM
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Musicman

Just thought I would start a new argument here... excuse me, I meant to say start a new topic  :smilielol:

I was just wondering what basic type of crankcase ventilation system most folks were running on there engines...

John_Kunkel

I like the closed system, less chance of pulling crud into the crankcase.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Silver R/T

My 68 is closed and pretty much every car produced now is closed. Unless someone puts a breather on their system
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

A383Wing

Of the 10 cars we got here...all are closed systems except the black 66 and the Metropolitan...those are open style

elacruze

Mine will be closed, although with more capacity than stock.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Musicman

Huh... with all the performance builds on this site, I thought for sure that there would be at least a few folks who are running a naturally vented system with filtered breathers. Then again, not to many folks have responded thus far either... apparently only a few guys here have engines that are actually running and require some form of crankcase ventilation :smilielol:

b5blue

speedfreak68

Mine has masking tape over the holes...it doesn't run...  :rotz:

hemigeno

One open and two closed systems here. 

The open system (1960 2-ton truck) was originally a true vented system, with a "draft tube" setup off the passenger's side valve cover rather than a PCV plumbed to the carburetor.  The draft tube was about 3/4" diameter, made out of potmetal, went down the backside of the engine, and had a beveled cut which opened up into the airflow beneath the chassis so that while travelling down the road it would "draw out" excess crankshaft chamber gasses and blowby.  The driver's side valve cover just had a vented oil fill cap.  I've since replaced the draft tube with a PCV going to the rear carburetor (open-style), although I suppose it really doesn't make that much difference.

The other two cars are sporting their original 1969-style closed systems.

squeakfinder

Open system. It was just easier with the KN style air cleaner.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

mally69

i run an open system, im curious about some of performace builds also.

b5blue

While it's a topic, is there a advantage to any type of system? (other than burning crankcase fumes)  :scratchchin:

Musicman

Only from an emissions standpoint really... Originally, all engines ran a vented system (many commercial vehicles still do)... an open vented cap on one side of the block and a draft tube on the other. The draft tube hung low under the engine in most cases, and was cut in such a way as to create a vacuum when the car was rolling down the highway. Since it wasn't a filtered system, the draft tube pulled oil and fuel vapors from the crankcase and deposited them on the highway below, resulting in the black stripe down the middle of the road that we are all so familiar with. As I said, many commercial vehicles, which are immune to the emissions standards that you & I must abide by, still use this system. Way back when however, it became an emissions standard that all vehicles manufactured for us regular folk had to have some form of a recirc system. Bottom line... the recirc system is an emissions standard. I know some of the true performance minded guys might say that they don't want that crap mixing in with their fuel charge, so they prefer a vented system which uses filters to handle fuel and oil vapors, while keeping dirt out of the crankcase. On the other hand, some folks may live in a state where emissions standards still apply to their classic vehicle, and therefore have no say in the matter one way or the other. Recirc systems work just fine as long as everything is working as it should, the PCV valve in particular. As far as any advantage to one system or another... a closed system uses the engines air filter to clean the air entering the crankcase, keeping dirt out. You might have to clean or change out your air filter a little more often, but who cares really. Many open systems used an open unfiltered breather originally for letting air into the crankcase, but obviously a filtered breather would be a better choice these days, again requiring you to change filters on a regular basis. Modern day vented systems work just fine as too, as long as you keep your filters clean and well maintained.

Obviously... any system that is not maintained will develop issues and can create problems. We could sit and talk all night about the advantages and disadvantages of each when things AREN'T working as they should, but with a little extra effort and proper maintenance, any of these systems will get the job done.
:Twocents:

69rtse4spd

Vented on the 70, stock on the two 69s. What about a vacum  system?. A friend of mine took a smog pump off of a late 80s Chevy pick up, & put it on his race car. The system worked ok, the car picked up a few thousands, as I recall. The wheels are turning.   

mally69

is there anything bad about running a vented system??

Musicman

Not as long as you keep your filters clean, but of course this is true of any system really.

The EPA doesn't like it because you are potentially venting fuel vapor (blow-by at piston rings) into the atmosphere.
The PCV valved recirc system on the crankcase, and the EGR recirc system in the exhaust are very similar in this respect.

Rolling_Thunder

Mine is an open system...   I replaced the air box tube with a K&N small filter...      (6.1 Hemi) 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

J-440

Mine's open as well.  I have 2 -6 hoses coming from each valve cover running to a vent/drain reservoir mounted to the passenger side inner fenderwell.  The car will be road raced and s-charged and the stock setup won't cut it.   :2thumbs:
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

firefighter3931

I've allways run a vented system.....PCV valves are ineffective at high rpm anyway. I'm not too thrilled about pulling oil vapor into the combustion chamber either so I won't use a PCV valve on any "performance" build.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Musicman

Well, since I started this thread, I may as well contribute...

Both my current 383 and my new 6-Pack build run on fully vented systems :D

b5blue

On a side note be sure to match the center carb gasket to the base of the carb as I had one that did not cover the bases milled in slot and left a tiny vacuum leak that drove me insane trying to find.  :yesnod:

BBKNARF

Vented on a higher performance engine.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Bossman963

mines is modified but using a stock closed system 68 Charger
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

68chargerboy

both my cars run open! screw the epa  :icon_smile_big: lol.  sorry to any tree hugers that are driving their chargers around  :D