News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Project '69 Resto Thread - Uh-Ohh... 10-18-14

Started by bill440rt, December 11, 2009, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bill440rt on June 04, 2010, 10:12:33 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 04, 2010, 10:11:25 PM
VERY NICE Bill!!!! Looks awesome with the rocker moldings!

Thanks, Cody!  :cheers:

My Coronet had rocker moldings originally but I'm probally not going to put them back on considering the style I'm going with the car.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice job Bill I really like the rockers myself.

When did you put subframe connectors in?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 05, 2010, 05:25:03 AM
Nice job Bill I really like the rockers myself.

When did you put subframe connectors in?

Chris, the subframe connectors were put in as an aftersight right after I painted the undercarriage. I know the best way is to weld them in, but with freshly painted floorpans & didn't want to have to repaint.
So, they were installed by bolting them in along with 3M metal panel bond adhesive, which is "supposed" to be as strong or stronger than weld. I figured, even if it's not as strong as welding, then at least it's stronger than just bolting them in alone.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

Morning Bill! Any pics of that bolting in? It might be a way for me to "rough in" some for me prior to floorboard work. Rocker's look fantastic!!  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: b5blue on June 05, 2010, 07:21:08 AM
Morning Bill! Any pics of that bolting in? It might be a way for me to "rough in" some for me prior to floorboard work. Rocker's look fantastic!!  :2thumbs:

Thanks!
I looked, but don't seem to have any installation pics of the subframe connectors. They were the MP units from Mancini, & they came with installation instructions. Once you get the rear part mounted, the fronts basically fall into place. As long as you measure each side to make sure they're placed in the same spot, you're OK. I bought these just before the US Car Tool ones came out, but even if I used those I'd definitely be respraying floor pans. These MP units worked fine for me.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

Belgium R/T -68

Thank you very much Bill :cheers: :2thumbs: As always your documentation and instructions are top quality. :yesnod:
Been on vacation for a week so now the motivation is back and with this help I will start on mine this weekend. :icon_smile_big:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Dan T

1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

Memphis Mopar

Awesome job on the car. I can only hope that my cars turns out that well some day  :2thumbs:

Belgium R/T -68

Bill, can it be that your holes for the clips are 5/16" instead of 3/16" or do we have different clips? Mine are 8mm thick which
corresponds to 5/16". :scratchchin:

Per

bill440rt

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on June 11, 2010, 06:26:03 AM
Bill, can it be that your holes for the clips are 5/16" instead of 3/16" or do we have different clips? Mine are 8mm thick which
corresponds to 5/16". :scratchchin:

Per

Per, you are 100% right. I double checked, they are 5/16" holes. Time for me to slow down, get a new tape measure, & check my brain.  :eek2:
I'm so wrapped up in fixing this sh*t right now, I gave you the wrong hole size. I've since corrected my post, thanks.  :2thumbs:

SSBC, the STAND-UP company they are, no longer returns phone calls. Left a voice message with their SALES MANAGER, still hasn't returned my call from a week ago. I'm not backing down, just yet.  :flame:

b5blue

Bill I can't tell you how ticked I'd be from the issues all have had with SSB if it were me! I wanted to use there stuff from seeing all the great ad's they ran for years but my tight budget forced me to go with all stock stuff for as of yet undone swap. Go get'em tiger!  :RantExplode: The car is fantastic!!

resq302

Bill,

Ya think its time for a Youtube video explaining what happened to your car just like the guy who got turned away from Musclepalooza did? :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Quote from: resq302 on June 12, 2010, 08:37:37 PM
Bill,

Ya think its time for a Youtube video explaining what happened to your car just like the guy who got turned away from Musclepalooza did? :scratchchin:

Maybe not a YouTube vid just yet, Brian. I'm not very photogenic.  :D

Here's where I'm at right now with this. I don't want to spill all the beans just yet, until this whole mess is sorted out. I'm climbing the walls around here.  :pullinghair:   SSBC brakes are completely OFF the car. The front system is boxed up and going back to them. Sorry, but their brake systems will NEVER find their way on any of my cars again.

An order has been placed for a nice, 6-piston 4-wheel disc brake setup from Wilwood that bolts right up on my drum brake spindles. All the other kits, besides SSBC, would require a disc brake spindle swap. I ordered the Wilwood kit from Frank at Prodigy Customs, who was referred to me from another member over on ProTouringMopar.com  
His knowledge & advice has been invaluable in this. Great guy. Got a smokin' deal on the complete system, even beat Summit's prices. Oh yeah, also adding on a hydroboost system which will give me nice power brakes.

While it's apart, the leaky steering box is finally coming off, too. A Stage 2 unit from Steer-n-Gear will replace it for better handling & steering response. I figured while this car is apart & laid up, might as well do it now & get it over with. I want to be done with this already!  :-\
Master cylinder out. Driver's header out. Starter out. PS box out. What a shi**y job this is. It's one thing putting a car together from a shell, but when you have to tear into something that's detailed & finished it totally sucks a$$.  :brickwall:

I'll post some progress pics soon, there's not much to see but an empty space right now.  :'(

resq302

That sucks Bill.  Im guessing the debut at Carlisle is out now?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

autodynamics

Glad you got the Hydroboost you will never look back..

Belgium R/T -68

Feel your pain Bill. I have also learned a lot from my Chargerbuild concerning brakes and stuff
that I will do totally different in the Challengerproject. Not only is it cheaper to do things only once but the time and frustration it leads to. :brickwall:

Per

Bad88t-topf

Bad ass car Bill, I can't wait to see it in person.   

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Bad88t-topf on July 18, 2010, 08:22:19 AM
Welcome to the site Bill!  You'll see Bills car next time we race @ the cart track  :2thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi-hampton

I had a big problem with those SSBC brakes. Wasted 2 days screwing around with them just to send them back.  LEON.

bill440rt

Quote from: Bad88t-topf on July 18, 2010, 08:22:19 AM

Hey, Bill!! A big WELCOME to the 'site!!  :wave:  Wow, and your first post was here! I'm humbled...  :icon_smile_big:
I can't wait to see the rest of your collection, either. They sounded very impressive.

hemi-hampton

P.S. Forgot. Car looks nice. Would love to see a Pic of that V24 Black striped hood again.  LEON.

bill440rt

Sure, Leon. Read about them here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20149.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20504.0.html

Anyone can read ALL of the threads about the resto of this car. There are links right on the first page.

bill440rt

Man, I can't believe the last time I updated this was July.
Between backordered parts, parts not ordered, miscommunication, etc, I lost over 2 months of time on this car.  :flame:    Long story short, the order ended up getting really messed up. Lucky me.
Brakes should be here tomorrow, got confirmation from Wilwood. And, ended up getting the Hydroboost from Reilly Motorsports (RMS). Had it on my doorstep next business day.

Time to start thrashing wrenches!  :buff:
Got the Hydroboost in the car, then started plumbing it. Basically, it just connects to the power steering pump & box. I also have to re-route some wiring and tuck things away. Should have this part done tomorrow once the master cylinder & brakes arrive.

QUESTION:
To those here that have Hydroboost, what is your brake pedal height? This car had manual brakes, this kit comes with an adjustable brake rod. There are 2 heights to mount the brake light switch on the brake pedal assembly, instructions say to lower it. Mine was at the highest mount, so I lowered it as per instructions. Brake pedal is low, about the same height as the gas pedal! I think that might be a little too low.
Anyone have any input on this?