News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Project '69 Resto Thread - Uh-Ohh... 10-18-14

Started by bill440rt, December 11, 2009, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

tan top

more good stuff going on Bill , nice work  :coolgleamA:  thats anoying the SSBC problem
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

autodynamics

looking good bill......are you leaving crank windows in? you can use electric life's charger window kit that bolts in perfect for peanuts...... :Twocents: love the white gut....

Charger-Bodie

Looking good Bill! Just a suggestion,I would put a 12v outlet in the console for charging you cell phone.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: autodynamics on May 20, 2010, 09:35:04 AM
looking good bill......are you leaving crank windows in? you can use electric life's charger window kit that bolts in perfect for peanuts...... :Twocents: love the white gut....

Thanks all!

Yeah, Pete. Leaving the ol' crankers in for now. Power windows may be a consideration down the road, I'll definitely keep those in mind.

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 20, 2010, 09:51:01 AM
Looking good Bill! Just a suggestion,I would put a 12v outlet in the console for charging you cell phone.

Another good suggestion Brian, thanks! I want to see how the radio faceplate and trunk release will pan out, that's always something else I can add it. If not, the one in the ashtray will do just fine for now.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Tee hee....like this ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Belgium R/T -68

Are you reusing your upper doorpads or do you have repops like me?

Didn't know you could convert to powerwindows. :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

moparstuart

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 20, 2010, 11:56:33 AM

Tee hee....like this ;)
I did the samething in the birdible  but i got a double one out of an expedtion here in the salvage yard . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

twodko

Hey Bill,

Car's looking great and I'm glad your OK. I'd be livid at this point were I in your shoes.........."discounted replacement parts"?
SSBC can bite me. Good to know when I upgrade to discs.

FYI - The headlight door holder upper thingy's you sold me are perfect. They've been cleaned up, painted and I slipped on a piece of shrink tubing to keep the abrasion of the door bar tro a minimun. Thanks buddy!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 20, 2010, 12:08:55 PM

Per

Per, I found a nice set of used ones needing some very minor repairs. I cleaned them up & dyed them white. Although they were cheaper than the repros, I'm not totally happy with the way they fit even though they are originals. All in all, they are good.

Quote from: twodko on May 20, 2010, 02:37:03 PM
Hey Bill,

Car's looking great and I'm glad your OK. I'd be livid at this point were I in your shoes.........."discounted replacement parts"?

FYI - The headlight door holder upper thingy's you sold me are perfect. They've been cleaned up, painted and I slipped on a piece of shrink tubing to keep the abrasion of the door bar tro a minimun. Thanks buddy!

Tom

Really glad to hear you were happy with the parts, Tom. Glad to help, anytime.
I'm not exactly happy with SSBC, either.  :flame:     From the front calipers that BLEW APART while BLEEDING them (they were manufactured with the wrong tensile strength bolts), to the leaking lines on their calipers, to the incorrect & vague rear installation instructions ("you just have to experiment & play with it a while"  WTF!!!   :brickwall: :brickwall:), and now this malady blamed on "consumer error".  
Although the car did stop well, and SSBC replaced the front calipers early on, and I didn't experience the super-hard brake pedal that others complain about, NEVER again, SSBC.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Now, some good news. I spoke with Newstalgia Wheel where I purchased my wheels from. They offer a tapered lug with a small shank that is compatible with my wheels, and are sending me a full set of 20 at NO charge! They are also going to put a rush on a replacement wheel, and at cost.  
The appraiser from American Collectors should be here tomorrow morning to inspect the car.
Keep ya's posted...  :popcrn:

And now, MORE pictures!
Got some more work done today on the interior. I finished off the carpet, and started on the door panels. Made the same vapor barrier out of sheet plastic as the rears.
Next were the door panels. Check out the custom speaker grilles in the door panels, I thought they set off the door panel nicely.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

I finished it off with the driver's seat and sill plate. The last remaining passenger seat needs to go in yet, and the sill plate on that side and the interior is done!!  :woohoo:

A few more small parts to go on, and then the rocker moldings.
Hopefully the appraiser has some good news, so I can get this car back on the road!!

Johnny SixPack

I was going to write something, but all I can do is :drool5:

Stunning Charger to say the least, Bill. :2thumbs:

Simply stunning.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

resq302

Damn Bill.  Looks even better the more you get into the car.  Those speaker covers are amazing.  I can't wait to see them in person.  Ya say the maiden voyage will be Carlisle? :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mikesmoparperformance

sweet looking car bill  :drool5: love the White interior and the Charger Speakers :2thumbs: Great Job!! :cheers:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

ronwest

Quote from: bill440rt on May 20, 2010, 10:44:02 PM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 20, 2010, 12:08:55 PM

Per

Per, I found a nice set of used ones needing some very minor repairs. I cleaned them up & dyed them white. Although they were cheaper than the repros, I'm not totally happy with the way they fit even though they are originals. All in all, they are good.

Quote from: twodko on May 20, 2010, 02:37:03 PM
Hey Bill,

Tom

Really glad to hear you were happy with the parts, Tom. Glad to help, anytime.
I'm not exactly happy with SSBC, either.  :flame:     From the front calipers that BLEW APART while BLEEDING them (they were manufactured with the wrong tensile strength bolts), to the leaking lines on their calipers, to the incorrect & vague rear installation instructions ("you just have to experiment & play with it a while"  WTF!!!   :brickwall: :brickwall:), and now this malady blamed on "consumer error". 
Although the car did stop well and I didn't experience the super-hard brake pedal that others complain about, NEVER again, SSBC.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Now, some good news. I spoke with Newstalgia Wheel where I purchased my wheels from. They offer a tapered lug with a small shank that is compatible with my wheels, and are sending me a full set of 20 at NO charge! They are also going to put a rush on a replacement wheel, and at cost. 
The appraiser from American Collectors should be here tomorrow morning to inspect the car.
Keep ya's posted...  :popcrn:

And now, MORE pictures!
Got some more work done today on the interior. I finished off the carpet, and started on the door panels. Made the same vapor barrier out of sheet plastic as the rears.
Next were the door panels. Check out the custom speaker grilles in the door panels, I thought they set off the door panel nicely.

May I ask how you made your door speaker grills?

thanks
Ron

bill440rt

Hi Ron,
I didn't make the speaker grilles, the audio installer did. The frame is made from brushed stainless, and the black is just flat speaker grille mesh. He couldn't find any made out of painted aluminum, so the Charger logo was painted on using a stencil & aluminum paint. I'd still like to try & find some out of aluminum, but all in all they came out nice.

aone415

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

bill440rt

Quote from: aone415 on May 22, 2010, 08:48:37 PM
this car is SICK :drool5: :drool5:

Just like the owner.   :D  :shortbus:

OK, here's where I am with this car now.
The appraiser has looked at the car, & I got an initial estimate. He still overlooked some things, not bad all in all & nothing that can't be added in as a supplement supported by invoices. Wheel is on order, which takes up to 6 WEEKS to get, and new axles. On the slow road to recovery.

Hardest people to deal with during this whole process is.... not surprisingly....  drum roll please.....    SSBC.  :flame:
I'd rather not say anything else about SSBC at this time, but I will as this pans out.

So, on to some photos.
The good news first, the interior is finished!

bill440rt

I also managed to repair the nice ol' chip in my door.
Here is a before pic. It was then filled with a skim coat of polyester, then spot primed with PPG epoxy primer. I tried to keep the repair as small as possible.

Using a small touch up gun I spotted it in with basecoat, let it dry, and cleared it with 2-3 coats of PPG 2042 fast clear. After the clear flash dried, I sprayed the blend area with a Sherwin Williams clear blending agent in a spray can, part number BS-10. This helped melt the new clear into the old clear. I let this dry for a few days, then gave it a very light sanding finishing it off with 3000 grit. After a polish with the buffer, the repair was nearly invisible.

bill440rt

Then, I installed the rocker moldings. Per, these next few pics are just for you. I know you've had several questions on installing these.

The holes were measured & drilled way back before the car was painted when it was in primer. They are 5/16" holes. I used this measuring guide I found here on DC.com. The "search" function REALLY does work!  ;)

"Starting from the front guard there is one hole 8 3/4 inch from rear end of guard it will end up slightly forward of the penstar this is for the metal clip.
Now the tricky part the holes that run across the rocker panels are measured at 2 inches up from bottom face of rocker or 1 3/4 inch down from top face to hole centre there is six that run along the rocker under the door and two holes will end up in the rear quarter panel make sure you get them all level.
Starting at front of the rocker panel behind the front guard rear edge the measurments are as follows leading back to last hole in rear quarter.
Eight more holes will need to be drilled
hole one to eight etc
2 1/4 10 1/2 19 1/4 28 1/8 37 5/8 47 1/8 52 3/4 63 7/8 measurments in inches"

Once you measure the first hole, the others will fall into place.

Here is a pic of one of the clips that hold it on. It is marked "up" so you know which end goes to the top.
The pins can be a little tight, so a little lube such as tire dressing or soap will help them go thru. Hold the clip in place in the hole, insert the pin, & tap it down with a mallet until it's flush. Here is a shot with the clips installed. I did both sides the same way.

bill440rt

To protect the paint from scratching, I like to use regular electrical tape. It's more flexible than masking tape & doesn't tear as easily, plus it's low tack & pulls off easy.

Per, the end of the molding that is curved goes toward the front. The end that is "flatter" goes toward the rear.
I started in the front & worked back. You basically get it seated in the top fingers, then whack it with your palm snapping it in on the bottom. Simple. I then measured to make sure it was centered, & worked back finishing it off.
Sets the car off nice.

69bronzeT5

VERY NICE Bill!!!! Looks awesome with the rocker moldings!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bill440rt

Per, here is a shot of the ends.  :2thumbs:

I did the passenger side the same way.

bill440rt

bill440rt

I was finally able to get some of the undercarriage shots in digital format, so these are much better than the ones I posted previously.