News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Project '69 Resto Thread - Uh-Ohh... 10-18-14

Started by bill440rt, December 11, 2009, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

resq302

going to look really nice I bet!  Plus now you can recline too!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

NHCharger

Quote from: resq302 on March 29, 2013, 08:27:51 PM
  Plus now you can recline too!
Better for the reach around :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks good but I wish there was a way to cut those headrests in half...

Too high in the thigh area?  Looks to be in line with the pass side seat in the pic...hard to tell though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

lasvegas69charg

thats going to look bada$$...great mod..are you going back white?
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

bill440rt

Took advantage of today & removed the seat & the track, & chopped 1" out of it. Tack welded it, & reinstalled it in the car. BIG difference! Seat height is so much better now, and of course headroom.
I didn't get a chance to take pics, time was dwindling & I had to pack it up. I'll post some shortly.
Most of the headrest issue, I think, was due to the height of the seat. I don't think they are that much taller than a '70-style bucket, but the design makes them look taller. Definitely comfy!

Yes, plan is to re-do them in white, with a stock vibe.
Something like these, courtesy of Autodynamic's car. After seeing them in his car, & White and Red's '69, I really liked the way they looked. I've seen others stitched like this also & they really look nice when done.
I'm going to mod the other track next, then weld both up solid. Then, off to the upholstery shop!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bsakal

69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

tan top

:coolgleamA:  :yesnod:  awesome stuff ,  :yesnod:
:drool5: :popcrn:

wonder if when the seat is being recovered , you could alter the head rest bases / track thingys , & fit the stock oem headrests , wonder what they would look like on those type of  seats  :scratchchin:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

WHITE AND RED 69

Looking good Bill!  :2thumbs:  Can't wait to see em all finished in white. Got me thinking I should change mine to the factory pattern also?  :scratchchin:

:cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bill440rt

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on March 31, 2013, 11:18:44 PM
Looking good Bill!  :2thumbs:  Can't wait to see em all finished in white. Got me thinking I should change mine to the factory pattern also?  :scratchchin:

:cheers:

Thanks, Clayton!  :cheers:
I found these posted on here somewhere from another member's car, cannot remember who now but maybe they will chime in.
They are not Corbeau's, but very close.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bill440rt

warpspeed

Bill, I just pulled this thread up to see the beautiful work you have done on the interior of the car.  Wow!

That being said, now my question.  My car has a Black and White interior too, (68 Charger).  As I was putting the door panels together, thanks for reminding me that there are trim pieces holding the panels together, (it has been six years since I started the project), I noticed yours looks all white!!!  That meant you must have had a lower panel on the door that was white.  No, no, no, after closer inspection, i realized it was painted white.  My door is body color, not the interior white.  That is a huge difference.   Is that normal?  I was under the impression, right or wrong, that Chrysler kept everything body color.  Man, if I have to go back and change that on my doors and the area under the back windows, I will never finish.

bill440rt

Thanks, warpspeed!  :cheers:

To answer your question, the inside door frames that surround the door trim panels were originally painted to match the color of the interior.
For example, if you had a white car with a black interior the insides of the door frames were painted black. The paint line was broken off under the door weatherstripping along the holes, so the weatherstrip hid the paint line.
Now, if you had a black car with a black interior or a white car with a white interior, etc then the door insides would then be the same.  :cheers:

bill440rt

Quote from: bill440rt on June 20, 2013, 01:14:23 PM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 20, 2013, 01:07:19 PM
Any updates on the seats?   :popcrn:

L-O-N-G story...  :popcrn:
But no, not done yet. 

Now, just a little update on this seat project.  :popcrn:
Let's back up to the first week of April. I spent a good amount of time researching upholstery shops in the area, getting referrals, etc. My go-to upholstery shop did not want to do the covers, he was overloaded with work and frankly I just got the feeling he didn't want the job. So, I found another with some pretty good, solid references. Specializes in customs, hot rods, custom covers, etc. I gave him my original seat as reference, my new Corbeau's, and even pictures of Autodynamics' seats so he knew what they should look like and what I expected. I laid the job all out on the table for him, and he was confident about doing them and assured me they would be nice. Price was competitive, and I even supplied the yards of material I ordered from Legendary for him.

What I got back was absolute complete shit, sub-par amateur work. I mean, HORRIFIC.  :flame:   Frankly, I've installed diapers that fit better than the crap job this guy did butchering the vinyl I gave him in making these covers.  :yesnod:    I watched his work all along the way, and pointed things out to him. I realize this type of seat cover job was a work in progress, and he assured me that they would be nice in the end. Well, they weren't. Some members here saw the work this guy did on them, and completely shared my sentiments. 
The quick end to the story is that I got all my seats back, I'm out material only, and now need to find another GOOD shop in the NJ area that's gonna do these seats right. I've visited 4 more already, and am going to another tomorrow. All of them assured me the seats would have NEVER left their shops looking the way these do.
In the meantime I put the stock seats back in the car just so I can enjoy it for the rest of the year. Rant off.  :flame:
Keep ya's posted!   :cheers:

warpspeed

Quote from: bill440rt on July 07, 2013, 08:28:54 PM

To answer your question, the inside door frames that surround the door trim panels were originally painted to match the color of the interior.
For example, if you had a white car with a black interior the insides of the door frames were painted black. The paint line was broken off under the door weatherstripping along the holes, so the weatherstrip hid the paint line.
Now, if you had a black car with a black interior or a white car with a white interior, etc then the door insides would then be the same.  :cheers:
Wow!  That means I have to do the doors over!!! Oh, my.  Oh well, just my luck.  Thanks for the quick come back Bill

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on July 07, 2013, 08:28:54 PM

Very sloppily I might add.... ;)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,100253.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

warpspeed

I know I am late, but I got it.  I am going to take the doors off and paint them properly.  Thanks 6T9 for the other thread.  Needed that.  I am going to do this right!

On the seat issue, Legendary just sent me some new literature that includes a new seat design.  Wow!  This modernizes our old seats to today standards.  It is too late for me now, but, I would use this on my seats in leather.  They are beautiful in my eyes.  I bet they are comfortable too.

b5blue

Bill sorry to hear the re-cover on the seats got screwed up!  :rotz: Are the new seat's original covers still good for patterns? This shop came highly recommended from other members here. http://onlineupholsteryandmore.com
I contacted him about doing a set of Pro Car Elites and he was certain he could do it nicely. (I'm just waiting for more money!)

bill440rt

Quote from: b5blue on September 09, 2013, 05:01:00 PM
  Bill sorry to hear the re-cover on the seats got screwed up!  :rotz: Are the new seat's original covers still good for patterns? This shop came highly recommended from other members here. http://onlineupholsteryandmore.com
I contacted him about doing a set of Pro Car Elites and he was certain he could do it nicely. (I'm just waiting for more money!)

Hey, Neal!
The original seats are still fine, those covers were never touched. The first guy totally botched the job up completely.  :flame:
I've heard of that other guy before, thanks for the link. He's just a little too far for me as I wanted to use someone more local. Currently my new seats are here:
http://victorcustom.com/

He has my Corbeau's and one of my original seats just to use as reference. He does some nice work, so I have my fingers crossed this time. He wanted to weed out some of his current jobs before tackling mine, he should be starting on them this week from what I've been told.  :popcrn:

RIDELIKEHELL

I have to see your cars in person someday Bill! WOW!!!!!
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

bill440rt

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

bill440rt

Finally, finally, finally!  :faint:

After what seemed like an eternity, just got the word that my new seats are done. What an ordeal this turned out to be. The first guy botched up the job so bad, left me no alternative but to find someone that really could do them right. I'm very pleased the way they turned out now.
I'll be picking them up this afternoon, looks like I'll be spending some fun time in the garage tonite bolting them in. Can't wait!
Here are some pics of the seats.

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L