News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Project '69 Resto Thread - Uh-Ohh... 10-18-14

Started by bill440rt, December 11, 2009, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Damn Bill.  Looking SWEEEEEETTTTT!   Think you will have it ready for Mopars @ E-town?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

bill440rt

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on February 09, 2010, 07:46:49 AM
Well Bill, you know I've told you this before: who needs FSM when we have you and your threads. :2thumbs:

BTW, nice car. :lol:

Per

Thanks all!  :wave:
Still chippin' away. The suspense is killing me!!!

Per, I'm by no means a "walking FSM", but I'm glad to help anyone out nonetheless. Your emails & questions are welcome anytime!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

And when you get finished, your reply to this post is:

I'm still CHIRPING (the tires) away! :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

NYCMille

Very cool man... being close is one of the best feelings in the world...  :cheers:

69 OUR/TEA

This has been one amazing build,alot of thinking behind everything you've done!!!! :2thumbs: Congrats on being close to fire-up!!! :cheers:

Hemidog

That is truly one of the best looking engine bays I've ever seen Bill!  :yesnod:

bill440rt

Thanks for following along and some words of encouragement!  :cheers:

I was able to finally get the throttle position sensor dialed in with the laptop today, so the parameters are reading correctly now. With this Keisler setup, think of the TPS as the electronic kickdown linkage. If it's not set up right, you'll fry the trans in no time.

So... next was making sure the backup lamps are working, as the Keisler harness gets spliced into the factory neutral safety switch harness (3-prong type). And... the backup lamps aren't working!  :icon_smile_dissapprove: :brickwall:
In fact, I'm not even getting power to the connector that goes into the shifter selector on the trans.  :brickwall:   I gotta retrace some wires now & figure out why there's no power to it. The factory basically comes thru the bulkhead at the top connector, and goes down to the trans & the other brown wire goes to the starter relay. I've got hot at the black/white wire off the bulkhead but that's it. I "think" I "should" have power to the black wire also, because that is a 12v source also. That wire is dead, no power with the test light. Fuse looked good.

I am soooo close!!!!!!!!  :RantExplode:
Any troubleshooting tips?  :shruggy:  Ground wire at the trans is a good ground.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Well, one more problem solved. And, it was way too easy. Even for an electrical retard like me.  :eek2:

Turns out in Keisler's instructions the wires from the original backup lamp harness that get spliced in to their harness is, well, backwards. A simple reversal of the wires and, voila'! Lamps are on! Problem solved! Their instructions may have been incorrect, but Keith at tech support has been REALLY helpful through all of this.
I needed to get this taken care of to ensure it won't start in gear, and to make sure the system is functioning properly as per Keisler before startup.

A couple more small things to do this week, & if everything goes right next weekend may be time for startup. I'm getting anxious!!!!  :boogie:
Anyone want to be on deck?? Beer is in da fridge!!  :D

resq302

Hmm.... this weekend I'm working but I will have to check with the wife and see if we have any plans for next weekend.  Maybe I could come down and lend a hand or two. :scratchchin:
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hmmm....Keith was the only one who helped?  :scratchchin:

;)

PS----yes you're screwed!  :o  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RIDELIKEHELL

I love the look of that car Bill :cheers: Awesome job! Your attention to detail is second to none..

Marc
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 23, 2010, 08:34:49 AM
Hmmm....Keith was the only one who helped?  :scratchchin:

;)

PS----yes you're screwed!  :o  ;)

MODS, take notice.  :spank:
THREAD CORRECTION!!  :-\   :slap:

Keith is only second hand to the mighty, all-knowing Charger guru such as Just6T9. I simply MUST give credit here, too. I bow down in Charger electrical system humbleness.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   :bow: :bow:

(Actually, it was a joint effort. Maybe 50%-50%. Or 60-40. Or 70-30. Somewhere in there).  :D

If it wasn't for EITHER of their efforts, I'd still be in limbo. Guilty as charged for not giving FULL credit. I'll take my punishment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8tINaDdCwo

Just 6T9 CHGR

OK you're back in the circle now ;)

PS---you're still screwed though.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Bill,

Send me a PM with what day you are planning on for next weekend.  As of right now, the wife has no plans which makes me free! :2thumbs:
Brian

BB1

Delete my profile

bill440rt

Here we go again...  :whistling:

I feel like I wasted an entire day today. Got most everything sorted out, put gas in Project '69 yesterday in anticipation of the first start-up. Everything electronically with the trans works, electric fan setup is reading correctly as per their checklist, & everything on the dash seems OK & working too.

The problem? No spark.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Engine is getting fuel, & the MSD box is wired correctly. Even tried to swap the coil from my '68, as a last resort. And, also tried a different ground to body. Unit is getting power, but not sending power to coil. Still no spark.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :icon_smile_dissapprove:

The only thing I can think of is that the MSD 6AL/Mopar box is bad. What burns me further, is that I bought it as a "new" unit, on ebendmeover. The unit was/appeared new, & never installed. Everything was there. Great deal turned sour, possibly.

Plan is now to call MSD in the morning to see if they will repair this one, or I'll get another one.
This is frikkin' killing me.  :flame:
Stay tuned...

resq302

that sucks man.   :eek2:  we'll be waitin to heaer the news Bill. :cheers:
Brian

bill440rt

Roger... we have IGNITION!!!  :yesnod:  :METAL:

Well, spark to be more exact. Problem solved, and as I stated previously solving electrical gremlins is not my forte. It was so simple yet something I overlooked. At least I know my MSD box is good.  :boogie:

Sooo... just waiting for another day to push the car outside & fire it up. I don't want to start it for the first time inside, to many what-ifs. Much safer outside.

I am stoked!!  :punkrocka:
Keep ya's posted...

resq302

Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 10, 2010, 03:26:36 AM
Sooooo...what was it?

My stupidity.   :shortbus:  :D

I was only tapping into one side of the unused ballast resistor wiring for a 12v switched source. I needed to tap into both sides of the ballast wiring to complete the circuit. $0.50 cents worth of wiring, crimps, and heat shrink to make a simple mini Y-harness is all it took.  :brickwall:   
Anyone need any glass sorted? I'm good at that.   :brickwall:  :D

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Belgium R/T -68

Good luck with the start-up Bill. :cheers: Just waiting for the wheather and I will be there aswell. :icon_smile_big:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker