News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WHat's a good Combo for a '74 318?

Started by BIRD67, August 21, 2009, 12:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIRD67

Hey guys, my buddy Pat recently bouthg a 1974 Plymouth Satellite, it has a 318 two barrel with Power steering, Power Brakes and A/C.. Pat's friend Ricky is helping him work on the engine, right now, they have installed a Weiand Aluminum dual-plane intake and an Edelbrock 500 Cfm Carburator, the also ditched the A/C.. My question is, doesn't a 500 Cfm carburator seem a tad small for this combination? Pat is on a college budget, and he wants to install a nice camshaft and headers.. Now, I have heard of using 360 heads on this but I am not sure if they will work..

The car has a 904 Torqueflite transmission and a lousy 8 1/4 rearend.. It already has Dual exhaust with turbo mufflers..

What is the best buildup for a 318 without breaking the bank? He want's this car to move quickly!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

lisiecki1

if he's doing cam and heads I'd run atleast 650cfm, once that motor starts to breathe that 500 is gonna choke it  :Twocents:

side note: i didn't know edelbrock made a 500 cfm 4 barrel.....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

BIRD67

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 21, 2009, 12:35:09 PM
if he's doing cam and heads I'd run atleast 650cfm, once that motor starts to breathe that 500 is gonna choke it  :Twocents:

side note: i didn't know edelbrock made a 500 cfm 4 barrel.....

Yeah, Neither did I, I know there are 500 CFM two barrel carburators on the market.. I reccomended a 650 as well.. I know that he wants it to run fast, but I think that the 8 1/4 is gonna hold him back..
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

lisiecki1

the 8 1/4 isn't as important as what the gearing is inside of it.....when i was running my 360/904/8 1/4 2.73 i was managing high 13's with a single track rear end and street tires......now if he starts making some SERIOUS power....then the 8 1/4 could be an issue.

Road Dog

600 staightline Holley would work nice too.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

69bronzeT5

You mean the one you wanted, then he said he was going to buy it but then decided he didn't want it, so you decided to go for it?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BIRD67

Yep! That's the one Cody!! Oh, and my buddy Jon, he sold the Javelin for $2600.. But no worries, my buddy Branden is gonna take me to a Junkyard down in Mass that hasn't crushed anything since the 1930's, and get this, the price of the cars depends on how difficult they are to remove, so I am pretty sure I'll score somethin there..

69bronzeT5

Quote from: BIRD67 on August 21, 2009, 02:14:35 PM
But no worries, my buddy Branden is gonna take me to a Junkyard down in Mass that hasn't crushed anything since the 1930's, and get this, the price of the cars depends on how difficult they are to remove, so I am pretty sure I'll score somethin there..

Awesome! :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BigBlackDodge

Replace the timing chain soon.......they have the plastic/vinyl geared teeth that tend to find their way into the oil pick up screen when the the gear goes. (not to mention bending some valves too!)

BBD

greenpigs

I would hold off on getting a bigger carb since its paid for. Go for a split pattern cam 222/234  .467/.494.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

BIRD67

Quote from: greenpigs on August 22, 2009, 12:18:49 AM
I would hold off on getting a bigger carb since its paid for. Go for a split pattern cam 222/234  .467/.494.

Greenpigs, would summit have that part? thats where he gets most of his stuff... The car has 89,000 miles on it, and they already replaced the ignition system with a MSD setup..

b5blue

Take photos when ya go to that bone yard!  :2thumbs:

greenpigs

I was looking at a summit catalog for those specs. Its a comp cam grind and a 650 may be an upgrade when money allowes. I would go with a 3.23 gear if they can swing it. 
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

alcusswhen

If he is going to stat with the stock bore and pistons 360 heads will kill the engine. With the 318 heads you have a compression ratio of 8:5 to 1. Because of the big 360 heads chambers the compression dropes under 7:5 to 1. And if you don't get the compression up to 9:5 to 1 you'll spend money and gain very little for it.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

BIRD67

Okay, so here's the scoop.. I was not able to find a cam of 222/234.. Currently here is what the car has..

74 Ply. Satellite
318 V8
stock heads
MSD electronic ignition
Weiand Dual Plane intake manifold (aluminum)
Edelbrock 500 CFM Performer Carburator ( Four Barrel)
Dual exhaust w/turbo mufflers, manifolds back
Unknown transmission either 904 or 727 Torqueflite
Power Steering, Power brakes
No A/C (he got rid of it)
Now, hwat we need to know is : what is the Ideal camshaft? what are the ideal headers? what else will boost his performance at a budget price? I need links to where I can find this stuff..

BIRD67

OKAY, I FOUND THE CAMSHAFT, IT IS THE ONE THAT WAS RECOMMENDED ABOVE..

I also found some headers, now, please tell me if these headers are any good. They are Hooke Competition Headers, the primary tube diameter is 1 5/8 inches and they have a rectangular cylinder port shape.. I found them on Summit and they are $170 a pair..

I also found a Mopar Performance Sure Grip Differential for the 8 1/4, it is for 27 splined axles and it is recommended that you use a 2.76 or higher gear ratio.. The price is $314, again, found at Summit..

Now, I know he will want it to have some pep off the line, so what would be an ideal rear gear ratio? I have no clue what it has now.. I was thinking maybe some 3.55s but I doubt he will be wanting to be taching out on the highway.. any ideas?

lisiecki1

Foreman72

Quote from: BIRD67 on August 23, 2009, 06:07:33 PM

I also found some headers, now, please tell me if these headers are any good. They are Hooke Competition Headers, the primary tube diameter is 1 5/8 inches and they have a rectangular cylinder port shape.. I found them on Summit and they are $170 a pair..

I also found a Mopar Performance Sure Grip Differential for the 8 1/4, it is for 27 splined axles and it is recommended that you use a 2.76 or higher gear ratio.. The price is $314, again, found at Summit..

Now, I know he will want it to have some pep off the line, so what would be an ideal rear gear ratio? I have no clue what it has now.. I was thinking maybe some 3.55s but I doubt he will be wanting to be taching out on the highway.. any ideas?

can you hit me with the link that lead you to $170 hooker headers??  :lol:

haven't see them that cheap in awhile...yeah they're good pieces...hedmans are just as good from what i've heard and cheaper

i'd say, considering the cash at hand...invest in gearing and headers...headers get whats in the cylinders out way faster than manifolds...so to beef up the engine w manifolds isn't gonna do you to good...

as far as gearing goes...the 3.55s will give you the off the line feel while still being streetable, adn the 3.23s are similar but more towards the streetable side...and i think any lsd will do just fine if you really want one...

so my thoughts, beef up the parts around the engine so that way when the time/money comes for engine parts you aren't screwed over with components that can't transfer the power...

also, look into a B&M shift kit... :Twocents:

check these out bro

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,242.0.html
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0810phr_chrysler_318_engine/index.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58787.20.html
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

greenpigs

I dont know what gears 8 1/4 came stock with but i would check craigs list or ebay for a used pig with 3.23. Save the money for a sure grip for something else like lite weight rims.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

BIRD67

Quote from: Foreman72 on August 23, 2009, 10:43:53 PM

can you hit me with the link that lead you to $170 hooker headers??  :lol:

haven't see them that cheap in awhile...yeah they're good pieces...hedmans are just as good from what i've heard and cheaper

i'd say, considering the cash at hand...invest in gearing and headers...headers get whats in the cylinders out way faster than manifolds...so to beef up the engine w manifolds isn't gonna do you to good...

as far as gearing goes...the 3.55s will give you the off the line feel while still being streetable, adn the 3.23s are similar but more towards the streetable side...and i think any lsd will do just fine if you really want one...

so my thoughts, beef up the parts around the engine so that way when the time/money comes for engine parts you aren't screwed over with components that can't transfer the power...

also, look into a B&M shift kit... :Twocents:

check these out bro

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,242.0.html
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0810phr_chrysler_318_engine/index.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58787.20.html

Hey thanks Bro! HERE'S THE LINK TO THOSE HEADERS!http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-5901HKR/

Foreman72

ah, thats why...i thought you were talking about the coated ones
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

alcusswhen

Please wait
Image not available

* Enlarge

Item condition:   New
Time left:   4 days 5 hours (Dec 17, 200919:15:04 PST)
Price:   US $95.00   Buy It NowBuy It NowBuy It Now
   or   
Best Offer:      Make OfferMake OfferMake Offer
      Watch this item
   Now watching in My eBay Now watching in My eBay
   You'll earn $1.90 in eBay Bucks. See conditions
Returns:   
7 day exchange | Read details
Coverage:   
Pay with and your full purchase price is covered | See terms
Shipping:   $17.72UPS GroundSee more services  See discounts  |  See all details
Estimated delivery within 5-10 business days

Seller info
robbob36 ( 12893 [Feedback score is 10,000 to 24,999] ) [About robbob36]
99.4% Positive feedback
Ask a question
Save this seller
See other items
Visit store: AA AA AUTOMOTIVE RARE NOS OEM PARTS
Other item info
Item number:   370305125441
Item location:   Howe, Texas, United States
Ships to:   United States
Payments:   
PayPal, Visa/MasterCard,
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T