News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Something I noticed while selling car parts

Started by 69bronzeT5, December 09, 2009, 06:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

I've been trying to sell a bunch of 1999-2004 Mustang parts lately. I have a few Craigslist and Used Vancouver ads up. I have my email listed up there because I don't need people calling me about every single little thing. I noticed when people email me about parts, they don't ask for my phone number....instead they give me theirs and expect ME to call THEM. Am I missing something here? Like am I crazy for thinking they should be calling me?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mauve66

YOU didn't give them a phone # sooooo, they have to wait to hear from you, alot of people would rather talk to someone than send 20 emails back and forth
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69bronzeT5

Well, if they are truly interested in parts and want to come look at them, then I will give them my phone number.

mauve66

but they want to talk to you about them and that way they can try to nudge you down some before they even get there and then only actually show up with 80% of what they talked you down to on the phone and then expect you to take what they offer even though they knew in advance that you wanted more than that............................................. :smilielol: :smilielol:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

SFRT

I always give my number when asking about parts to show them I am 'real' and not a tire kicker. I have also 'scooped' the competition for desirable parts with this method.

example, guy had a vague listing for a barn full of model A stuff, I replied with a number and 'I'll take it all', he called right away, I got up there immediately and tripled my money within a week of hauling off the mountain of stuff he just didnt want to deal with explaining or sending pix or whatver.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tan top

Quote from: mauve66 on December 09, 2009, 06:15:04 PM
but they want to talk to you about them and that way they can try to nudge you down some before they even get there and then only actually show up with 80% of what they talked you down to on the phone and then expect you to take what they offer even though they knew in advance that you wanted more than that............................................. :smilielol: :smilielol:

yeah ain't that the truth  had some of that before  :yesnod: ,  agreed a price over the phone !! $150 !!   then the meeting     goes Hey Man ....  $100 is all i got on me !! when the door is 150  , & the dude has just traveled  200 miles  :brickwall:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Not to mention that if they are outside your calling area then you're the one who gets to pay for the long distance call. :lol:

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2009, 06:43:26 PM
Not to mention that if they are outside your calling area then you're the one who gets to pay for the long distance call. :lol:

BINGO! We have a winner....I ask'd this VERY same question one time and got this Almost EXACT response...It's almost like thye know you need their money more than they need your parts...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bordin34

So what Mustang parts are you selling, got any seat release fold forward lever things for a '97, eh? When I was selling my Charger I got the same response from people , they wanted me to call them, and I wound up selling it to a guy in Croatia.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Troy

I don't pay for long distance (cell phone only) so that doesn't bother me. Whenever I'm buying parts I ask for a number. Sometimes I will send them mine if it's local - but I still ask for theirs.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TruckDriver

Craig's List is full of spam to lately. Every time I list something, I get about 3 spam emails for every post I make there.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

The70RT

The market sucks right now.....I sold a $550.00 set of OEM GM step tubes for a 100 bucks. I Tried to sell lots of things and not much sucsess. I have a OEM $1500 Sonoma bed side for a $100 and no calls. I listed a brand new 99 Grand Am Delphi alternator for $50 and no takers! I listed lots of $3-400 dollar parts for 50 each and  ::). It's all about timing and with the market down  :brickwall:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Silver R/T

I wouldn't post my number on craigslist, no way. Good move there. There's way too many spammers/scum out there.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bronzeT5

Exactly, I'm not paying to call them....they can call me. :lol:

The70RT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 09, 2009, 09:09:52 PM

Exactly, I'm not paying to call them....they can call me. :lol:

Wait till some idiot wants you to send them to South Africa for 5K  ::)

moparsons

Quote from: tan top on December 09, 2009, 06:35:37 PM
Quote from: mauve66 on December 09, 2009, 06:15:04 PM

yeah ain't that the truth  had some of that before  :yesnod: ,  agreed a price over the phone !! $150 !!   then the meeting     goes Hey Man ....  $100 is all i got on me !! when the door is 150  , & the dude has just traveled  200 miles  :brickwall:

Yea. i had a guy drive 2 hours...he looks the car over and we worked for 1/2 hour getting the car on the trailer.(stuck brakes) Then he offers me $100 dollars less. :rotz: i said no and he looked over at the car and said "well alright" and payed up. Like he was gonna unload it if i said no anyways. :hah:

mauve66

Quote from: The70RT on December 09, 2009, 08:43:50 PM
The market sucks right now.....I sold a $550.00 set of OEM GM step tubes for a 100 bucks. I Tried to sell lots of things and not much sucsess. I have a OEM $1500 Sonoma bed side for a $100 and no calls. I listed a brand new 99 Grand Am Delphi alternator for $50 and no takers! I listed lots of $3-400 dollar parts for 50 each and  ::). It's all about timing and with the market down  :brickwall:

i got $51,, $49 what ya got..........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

The70RT

Quote from: mauve66 on December 09, 2009, 10:05:46 PM
Quote from: The70RT on December 09, 2009, 08:43:50 PM

i got $51,, $49 what ya got..........................

Got a GM?

Smokey Bear

I've been looking to buy a Jeep lately, and there are so many sellers who don't list any useful info, they wont call you, they wont answer email promptly or at all, they wont give you a number, and when they do they let it go to voice mail. Here's a typical listing with no phone number or useful info on the vehicle, cut and pasted from Craigslist:

"1996 Red Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Great 4x4, Strong runner. We love Jeeps and have owned many. Good condition. 2400.00 obo".

How many miles?  How are the tires? What engine? Auto or manual? Power options? Modified or stock?  It would take 30 seconds to type this stuff and post it for the additional cost of $0, and it would actually help screen callers who can see that it is either NOT what they want, or what they DO want. A good ad, with detailed information and a phone number to call is the best way to get stuff sold. When I'm buying, I want a phone number to call. I dont want to exchange emails back and forth 4 times just to find out the seller doesnt really have what he listed or have what I want. If there is no number, I pass on the ad, plain and simple. There are plenty of Jeeps to choose from - it's the sellers loss.

472 R/T SE

The past two cars I bought I talked to the owner over the phone one time each.

I will never call someone who's interested in some thing I have for sale, unless he/she's called already & we're playing phone tag.  If they can't afford to call me initially, they can't afford what I got.  :Twocents:

bull

And a picture is worth 1,000 words but how many people don't bother putting up pics? I can see it if you're selling books or something generic-looking but cars and car part ads should always have pictures. A little effort goes a long way.

gtx6970

I will never call someone who's interested in some thing I have for sale, unless he/she's called already & we're playing phone tag.  If they can't afford to call me initially, they can't afford what I got.  :Twocents:

bingo,
if they don't have the nads to call me first, I'm not wasting my dime on information or picture colectors.

It's real simple - If I have something you want, shoot me an email and I'll reply with a phone #

moparstuart

As someone who sells parts for a living everyday .  If you really wanna sell it you do what ever it takes to get it sold . If the guy leaves you his # call him .   :Twocents: :Twocents:    You cant sell it if you dont talk to the prospect .   But you know you will alway get the tire kickers , just comes with the ordeal .  I have people who want me to diagnose cars problem and fix them all over the phone too  :smilielol: :smilielol:

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

451-74Charger

I once put the wife's car on Craigslist as a joke,

This is her counter Ad:

Various Items (NKY)
Date: 2009-03-31, 12:00PM EDT

For Sale Various Items

Xbox 360, Play station 2, and another game system with a TON of games.

Two 400 disk DVD changers with so many movies I can't even begin to list.  Well over 700 (minus the kids movies I am going to keep them)

DVD recorder (I use a DVR works just as good)

A big screen TV the older kind with a very nice well over $1000 surround to go around it (need the room for a playroom)

Tubs and tubs and did I say tubs of toy cars great if you like to collect Dodge Chargers (I will throw in a few models to go with them)

A few old computers I don't need but one desktop and laptop.

A half of a closet full of mens clothes (size xl-2xl in shirts and 38/30 in pants)

A crap ton of quality tools most of them Craftsmen and Snap-on (heck there is even a pressure washer and a welder not to mention the tool boxes to go with them.)

A old piece of crap charger 1974 with three hoods, three engines, a crankshaft, replacement fenders (better condition then the ones that came with it) various other parts to complete this car.   This will be a GREAT daily driver once completed.

I was going to add a purple/lavender Trans Am but, I think that I will keep it as a reminder for my son.

The only thing I am asking for all this great, fantastic, wonderful, items is a plane ticket (one way please) to Manchester in the UK.  Would also be great if you could include bus fare to Coventry so that his mommy can pick him up!

(All of this can't fit into a suitcase)

I can email pictures but, really you can't pass up this AWESOME Deal!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bull on December 10, 2009, 05:09:38 AM
And a picture is worth 1,000 words but how many people don't bother putting up pics? I can see it if you're selling books or something generic-looking but cars and car part ads should always have pictures. A little effort goes a long way.

I have 4 pictures up there (picture limit on Craigslist). In my ad it says "If you'd like a picture of the part you want, I can provide pictures".

stripedelete

Quote from: moparstuart on December 10, 2009, 12:06:39 PM
As someone who sells parts for a living everyday .  If you really wanna sell it you do what ever it takes to get it sold . If the guy leaves you his # call him .   :Twocents: :Twocents:    You cant sell it if you dont talk to the prospect .   But you know you will alway get the tire kickers , just comes with the ordeal .  I have people who want me to diagnose cars problem and fix them all over the phone too  :smilielol: :smilielol:

:iagree:

bull

The people that annoy me are the ones who apparently want you to do all the work to figure out what they have for sale. Got one right now that I contacted about "Mopar parts" among other general items like Christmas trees and TVs. :eyes: Then his one and only picture is of the front of an abandoned gas station? :shruggy: So I email him asking what he has for Mopar parts and he sends me an email back asking what Mopar parts I want. So now am I expected to sit here for an hour typing everything I need in the off chance he'll have even one of those items in half-decent shape? Nah, sorry.

Here's the ad:

Sale 126 E Broadway - $1 (Goldendale)

Come buy a little or a lot. genorator, tv's, wine barrols, dresser, mopar parts. 818 438 0993 in goldendale wa 98620.

EVERYTHING MUST GO

I HAVE CHRISTMAS TREES

6 FOOT TO 10 FOOT

$10 TO $49

mauve66

hey man, when you drive all the way over there cause he SAYS he has what you want in good condition just to get you over there, check to see if he's got a 4spd top plate also, thanks :rofl: :rofl:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

dkn1997

who even pays long distance anymore?  wake up!!!   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
RECHRGED

jb666

Quote from: dkn1997 on December 11, 2009, 08:46:22 PM
who even pays long distance anymore?  wake up!!!   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

That's the first thing I was thinking... WHAT'S LONG DISTANCE ?!?!? Every plan , now a days is free US calling any time..

I sell a ton of stuff on CL. I NEVER list a phone number.. I just let people reply to the ad. At that point I filter through all of the crap...... MOST people send me their phone #'s and I'll call them from there..

The other thing is, this is my standard blurb for all my CL ads:

No, I'm not interested in trading for your Playstation 3, shed, car, bicycle, mother-in-law, skateboard, wheels, sister, neighbor, windows, heating system, dog, wife, son/daughter, house-cleaning for a year or the fact that you want to pay me triple what my item is worth. If you dont have cash in hand and aren't LOCAL don't bother replying. I don't care if you're in the middle of the Red Sea and your son is in Israel and REALLY wants this item, he's going to have to get over it. Everyone else is welcome.

I copy/paste that in all my ads... I get so sick of the bullshit on CL...

Ghoste

wayfast1500

I really hate when buyers say they will be up to purchase something and don't call or show.  I work weird hours and get called in at random so I've actually lost the sale plus time I could have been getting paid at work.  I think the worst one was when I was selling a basket case Harley I had, it was stored at my parents house a state over.  A guy said he would definatly be up with cash in hand so I drove down in the winter, picked the bike up and he never called or showed up.  I didn't have a place to keep it so I left it under my tunneau cover in the truck until it was purchased.  Also I've listed bikes as complete bikes will not part out and get the typical "I just need a turn signal or other small part".  I turned one guy down literally 15 times then he asked for the buyers contact info after I sold that bike.

69bronzeT5

Get this. Got a guy asking about the Mustang door I have. Here's how our emails have gone.

Him: "Ill do 150 for the door I just need the door no mirrors wiring panels nothing except the door and functioning glass. let me know ASAP I can pick it up wednesday"

Me: "Well, I was hoping to get $200."

Him: "Do you have pictures of the door? like is it in good condition or needs paint? Id  be willing to do 200 if the door was in good shape which most the doors on craigslist or buysell arnt..."

Me: "Yep...."*then I sent 5 pictures which clearly show the door's condition*

Him: "Thats not a good selling attitude. Do you want to sell this door or not???
Is the lock busted on this door? or is that just the picture?? its not that big of a concern for me since ill be replacing it anyways just curious. But from what I can see the door looks to be in good shape
Are all the other parts at the same location?? cause I might be interested in some other piece also"

Me: "A good selling attitude? No offense but you asked for pictures, I was in a rush out the door so I replied with "Yep" and sent pictures.....that's pretty good to me. Anyways, yes the lock is busted. The other parts are at the same location but they are buried so whatever you do want/need, I'd have to dig out prior to you coming."

As much as I wanted to tell him to shove his "good selling attitude" up his ass, I want the stupid door gone so ::)

mauve66

he probably got the email and thought all it said was "yep", didn't even notice the attachments :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment