News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you help me choose a camshaft?

Started by COKE, December 26, 2009, 09:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COKE

Good day all

I,m rebuilding my 440 engine and i would like to build a strong street car,with good low rpm torque and a reasonable power.Nothing for the track.
It is a manual 4-speed with a 3.55 Dana 60.

Now it has 906 iron heads with 87 cc chambers ,and  a solid Comp cam such as this:  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-21-248-4/
The pistons are .030 over ,flat top without valve reliefs,TRW 2383-P(Similar to to the original ones)

I would like to mount the Edelbrock 84cc aluminium heads and a hydraulic cam.My intention is to keep the existing  pistons.

Can you suggest to me a good hydraulic cam for what i want?

One friend suggested  this  to me,but i would like to hear any opinion:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL21-227-4/

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas for everybody
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

RECHRGD

I've got the same cam that has been recommended to you (except the lsa is 112 rather than 110) and I like it.  I'm running the Mopar aluminum 452 head, which is the same as the e-brock rpm except it has the straight plug bores instead of the angled ones.  It's very responsive and makes good power.  I'm also using the e-brock performer RPM intake, Holley 750DP and 1 7/8" Hooker headers.  I also have the 3.55 gears, but mine's an automatic.  It's a very streetable set up. :2thumbs:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

COKE

Thanks Bob,
Yes i should to order the MP alu heads too because i have Hooker super comp.headers and i don,t know if they will clear the plugs.
Are your heads the 84 cc ones?Have you flat top pistons?

I also  have a an Edelbrock  performer intake and a Holley 750 vacuum secondaries carb.

Regards.

Cooter

A Solid lift cam has it all over the hydraulic cam, as far as performance goes....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RECHRGD

Quote from: COKE on December 26, 2009, 03:54:25 PM
Thanks Bob,
Yes i should to order the MP alu heads too because i have Hooker super comp.headers and i don,t know if they will clear the plugs.
Are your heads the 84 cc ones?Have you flat top pistons?

I also  have a an Edelbrock  performer intake and a Holley 750 vacuum secondaries carb.

Regards.

Yes they are the 84cc heads, but I just had .050 shaved off of them to up the compression a bit.  I was at about 9.4cr and now 10.5.  Be sure your intake is the RPM model.  The standard Performer is not a good performance piece.  I'd also look into getting a double pumper carb, especially with that 4 speed!  My flat top pistons were down in the hole a bit.  Are yours at zero deck?  Do you know what your CR is now?  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

1Bad70Charger

You want to take full advantage of the great flowing Eddy Heads you plan on putting on (or the Mopar alum 452 equivalents) and the cam that has been recommended to you is to conservative in my opinion and you will be leaving some sig. power on the table.

For a very similar set-up that I am also planning for my 440 Ron (Firefighter) pretty much one of the top gurus around here on this type of big block Mopar performance stuff recommended this flat tapped hyd. cam for me which I think would work alot better than the one your looking at:

CompCam XE285HL has specs of:

Intake 545 Exhaust 545
Duration@.050 Intake 241 exhaust 247
Lobe Separtion 110.0 Installed @ 106.0 Intake Center Line

Here is another great choice for you using the same cam that the Motorcraft article used with the Eddy Heads to make 525HP and 535 ft lbs with a stock 440 shortblock.

Here you go, all parts used and cam specs listed in the opening paragraph:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37136.0.html

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

COKE

Yes they are the 84cc heads, but I just had .050 shaved off of them to up the compression a bit.  I was at about 9.4cr and now 10.5.  Be sure your intake is the RPM model.  The standard Performer is not a good performance piece.  I'd also look into getting a double pumper carb, especially with that 4 speed!  My flat top pistons were down in the hole a bit.  Are yours at zero deck?  Do you know what your CR is now?  Bob
[/quote]

I will check the intake.It is a model from the 80´s  when they built the engine.
It is the performer but not sure if it is the RPM.

The engine is in the machinist now,but i meassured the pistons before to take it and they were 1.4 mm(0.05" )or so under the block surface at TDC.I will have to measure it again when it comes back to me.
The distance between the top of the piston and the center of the pin was 1.93"  and it had 0.039" head gaskets.
The 906 heads are 87 cc.

Having flat top pistons without valve reliefs,and expecting to mount 84cc instead of 87 cc, i,m alittle worried about the lift.

COKE

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on December 27, 2009, 02:13:00 AM
You want to take full advantage of the great flowing Eddy Heads you plan on putting on (or the Mopar alum 452 equivalents) and the cam that has been recommended to you is to conservative in my opinion and you will be leaving some sig. power on the table.

For a very similar set-up that I am also planning for my 440 Ron (Firefighter) pretty much one of the top gurus around here on this type of big block Mopar performance stuff recommended this flat tapped hyd. cam for me which I think would work alot better than the one your looking at:

CompCam XE285HL has specs of:

Intake 545 Exhaust 545
Duration@.050 Intake 241 exhaust 247
Lobe Separtion 110.0 Installed @ 106.0 Intake Center Line

Here is another great choice for you using the same cam that the Motorcraft article used with the Eddy Heads to make 525HP and 535 ft lbs with a stock 440 shortblock.

Here you go, all parts used and cam specs listed in the opening paragraph:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37136.0.html