News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dirt in cylinder

Started by mopar400, December 26, 2009, 04:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar400

Hi Guys
the other day I removed my cyl heads, and unfortunately I messed up a little bit :o
so I ended up with water in the cyl. bores, on the pistons..
I sucked it up using some paper but there is still some dirt down there.
My question: Have I harmed the engine in any way? and is there a good way to remove dirt from the bore? (pistons stil in)

/Linus

Ghoste

How much water and how much dirt?  The first thing I would do would be to change the oil and make sure you really let it all drain out.  As for dirt in the cylinder (assuming here that you haven't run the engine since this happened) you shouldn't have hurt it any and you should be able to get it out of there with a lint free rag. 

mopar400

well not so mouch water, like 1cm in the "deep" end,
and I guess it desolved some of the deposits from the piston
making it a black sludge..

Ghoste

If it were mine, I'd still do the oil change to be certain.  As for the sludge, I suggest wiping it up with a lint free rag until everything is clean in there.  It's hard to tell without seeing it but if your sludge is no more than carbon deposits and water you should be able to get it all.  I'd be watching for larger particulates and getting that out too.  When it's all cleaned out wipe the cylinder down with a lightly oiled rag and then do that oil change. 

dstryr

Work the piston up and down slightly so the ring pushes the junk up and hopefully it will stick to the wall when the piston is down and the rag will catch more of whatever is there.  Good luck with it.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

mopar400

ok guys , well oil change is already in progress since I´m changin the cam.. so the oil is allready out!
I was thinking about using a wacuum cleaner to get the dirt out!
What do you think about that?

tan top

yeah , wetndry shop vac  ! thats what i use  ,  although not supposed to suck up flamable stuff , i spary  a little WD40  in the bores  any dirt & junk stuck down between piston & bores is sucked out with the WD40 , same with  using compressed air  blow gun !
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

elacruze

Quote from: mopar400 on December 27, 2009, 04:48:39 AM
ok guys , well oil change is already in progress since I´m changin the cam.. so the oil is allready out!
I was thinking about using a wacuum cleaner to get the dirt out!
What do you think about that?

I've done that before, it works ok if you have a narrow attachment to get in the corner with. You can use a good contact cleaner or electrical cleaner to wash the oils out of the dirt, so it won't stick to the sides and piston. After the vacuum, use compressed air (and safety goggles) to blow out any difficult bits.
After it's finished, spray a little WD40 or equivalent on the walls/rings to keep the rust at bay.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

mopar400

I read on another (swedish) forum that the glycol in the water could the cause the piston rings to
stuck as the engine heats up,  causing big problems (no shit...)
He told me to fill the cylinder with water to "flush" away the glycol (antifreeze),
and then turn the engine a few turns to work the glycol out...
and of course change the oil, tapping any possible water in the oil pan.

It all sounded a bit scary to me, filling the engine with water...What do you think?

/Linus

Ghoste

I wouldn't do it.  Squirt some WD40 or even engine oil or something in there but not water.  Personally I don't buy the glycol ring seize thing either, what does he thinks happens when there is a head gasket leak?

TylerCharger69

A nice strong shop-vac will assist in getting any debris and unwanted moisture out of there!!!  Been there....done that!!!   lol....Ace

FLG

Just clean it up with some WD40, some rags, and a shop vac. Turn the engine over by hand to get the stuff to the top and wipe it all down. If this is just some grime and not any metal particles i really would not sweat it too much. What happens when you do injector cleaning or carburetor cleaning, or dumping some seafoam into a vac line to be sucked into the engine to clean out carbon deposits? All that grime goes into the engine and is quickly burnt to hell then if theres anything left it goes right out of the exhaust.

Just clean it, make sure you get any water out, then spray it with some lubricant and call it a day.

elacruze

Quote from: mopar400 on December 27, 2009, 03:16:55 PM
I read on another (swedish) forum that the glycol in the water could the cause the piston rings to
stuck as the engine heats up,  causing big problems (no shit...)
:pigsfly:
He told me to fill the cylinder with water to "flush" away the glycol (antifreeze),
and then turn the engine a few turns to work the glycol out...
and of course change the oil, tapping any possible water in the oil pan.

It all sounded a bit scary to me, filling the engine with water...What do you think?
:badidea:
/Linus

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

mopar400

ok Thanks Guys for the advice!
I´ll take youre word for that it works, since u seems to have had the same experience before!

/Linus