News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Column shifter pointer not lining up

Started by Paul G, December 08, 2009, 11:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Problem with the column shifter. Park is park, but move the shifter off of park and reverse is between the P and R, neutral is on the R, drive is between the N and R, etc. There is only one adjustment, it's a clamp on the rod down on the bracket. Making any adjustment only gets worse. Anyone have any solutions?

BTW, it used to be a 904 originally, now a 727.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

John_Kunkel

Check all of the plastic bushings in the shift linkage, they're known to wear out or fall out and when they do the indicator won't match the detents in the transmission.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tricky lugnuts

Agreed with John_Kunkel - I've been having the same problem with my 1971 727 trans. I've got several adjustment points, but I checked it out earlier this year and all the plastic bushings are missing and/or toast. I scavenged the help section at the local auto parts store and cut some stuff to fit and work for now. But is there any place to get the right new ones?

Paul G

I checked the linkage. There is no slop in any of the bushings. Actually the shifter is fairly firm engaging the detents. It's that the detents are in the wrong places. It seems like the linkage arm on the trans could be longer. That would make the shifter arm travel further. It would have to travel farther to actually engage the drive detent, putting the pointer over the "D". Are there different length linkage arms on the transmissions? Differences between the 904 and 727?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

John_Kunkel

I missed the part about it being changed from 904 to 727 so lever length could be the problem. Below is a pic of some of the various shift levers used.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Paul G

Lever length is the problem. I extended the length of the arm on the cross over shaft, (for a better description) It put the pointer right over the letter now. Much better. Took a little trial and error. Used a peice of BS I had in a box to extend the arm. It works, could use some dress up now.