News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 V code on ebay

Started by charger_fan_4ever, December 08, 2009, 11:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

Was anyone else watching the blue on blue 70 6 pack on ebay ? Starting bid of 12K with no reserve and nobody bid.  Floors looked solid. Car is mostly complete except for a few trim pieces. Non #'s drivetrain ,but included a 71 hp and 6 pack setup. Solid frame rails and floors.

I dunno I'd say 12 k for a real v code that doesn't need framerails is a pretty decent price. I wouldn't care about the drivetrain all body #'s match and has buildsheet too and its a 6 pack.  :yesnod:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220520074705&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

G-man

If the drivetrain doesnt match then its as good as a 318 car to me. Big deal if its a V-code car if the V-code engine etc are not in it/match that 'make the car V-code'. Even if its a hemi code if the hemi aint in it or findable its as good as a 318 - Hemi clone.

What use is it having the letters when what the letters designate are not there?

Pointless.

Ghoste

Unless you're on the selling end?

paironines

Because its still a V-code Charger whether there is a VIN stamped 440 or not.

mopar_nut_440_6

Agreed a numbers match car is more desirable but a V code car is a V code car. You have to remember that back in the day these cars were built to be raced and many of them blew the original engines and people grabbed a replacement. When I started drag racing almost 30 years ago nobody, or myself anyway, thought the cars and parts would escalate in price like they have.

I remember throwing out sets of HP manifolds because I swapped to headers and had nowhere to store them not thinking for a minute that they would be worth as much as they are today and that I would need or wan them. Now I need 3 sets.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

472 R/T SE

Years ago there was an old wrecking yard along the highway in Seaside, Or.  I stopped in there & he let me take a look around.  There were a couple buildings where he kept the more desirable stuff & inside one of them was I'm about 99% sure this car.  It was up high & I just remember looking at all the rust along the bottom side.

Fast forward to last week.  My buddy calls me & asks if I know of a v code '70 Charger up in Ocean Park, Wa., a buddy of his told him about it.  So Tom mentions some thing about it at our club meeting last Tuesday & Beaverton Greg pops up that he owns it now.   

All I remember about that car was the amount of rust it had.  With AMD I imagine it's doable.

If anyone wants I could look at it for them.

TiMopar

Quote from: G-man on December 08, 2009, 11:40:52 PM
If the drivetrain doesnt match then its as good as a 318 car to me. Big deal if its a V-code car if the V-code engine etc are not in it/match that 'make the car V-code'. Even if its a hemi code if the hemi aint in it or findable its as good as a 318 - Hemi clone.

What use is it having the letters when what the letters designate are not there?

Pointless.

Back in the 70's nobody gave two hoots about 'matching numbers', because on a Mopar the engine size call-out is in the VIN#. A Mopar car is what it is (hopefully) because the vin tells you what engine the car was built with. 'Matching numbers' are something we unfortunately inherited from the Chevy people in the mid/late eighties. Perhaps one day you will be fortunate enough to get a 'good' deal on a 'V' code or Hemi car body less engine, and we will see what your opinion is then...

Hemidoug

multiple carb cars WILL ALWAYS BE worth $$$$$$$ regardless of numbers maching or not....That being said of course matching numbers would be nice BUT that is not reality...most HP cars do not have the original drivetrain.....to state that the car is not worth any more then a 318 car because it doesn't have the original drivetrain is ludicrous.

So, according to your statement I guess my Hemi car is only worth what a plain jane 69 318 charger is worth? Yeah...I don't think so....

That is a very reasonable price for a V code car in reasonable condition. With all the parts available today, that car would be a snap to put together...too bad I'm out of room, because if I wasn't that car would be in my back yard RIGHT NOW.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

hemi68charger

Pointless.

Because it IS an original v-code Charger, or j-code whatever......... It is what it is........... Too many people are getting caught up in this this broker/high-end stigma of "everything" has to match... Yes, it's nice to have the original drivetrain in a car, especially when you're comparing two examples of the same car in similar condition. There were so many of these cars that lost their original engine/block during their warranty period. Does a six pack Charger R/T loose all it's relevance if the motor, for whatever reason, has been damaged/destroyed within it's 1st 12 months of existence? Nope.......

I think 12K for an original v-code Charger is cheap. My v-code is in FAR better shape and I can't even get any interest at 20K,, only 8K more... I know the market dictates what sells and what doesn't. But, in that same breath, I will not just give the car away either. Original v-code anything just doesn't grow on trees. Whether you have the fender tag or not, the VIN says it all in regards to engine option..

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemidoug

Hey Troy! How ya doin' buddy? Merry Christmas to you and your family.....How's that Daytona working out for you? Is it everything you wanted?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 09, 2009, 07:53:12 AM
Hey Troy! How ya doin' buddy? Merry Christmas to you and your family.....How's that Daytona working out for you? Is it everything you wanted?

The whole Hawkes' Nest is doing great and my chicks are wonderful,,, The Daytona IS everything I knew it would be plus more. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made mopar-wise... Luckily, I was able to put myself into that position..

thanks Doug !!!  I'll PM/email you...........

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69charger2002

i think 12k for that car was fair, as i also think your asking price on yours is fair.. i don't think it's the numbers matching thing going on so much right now as it is:
1. of course the economy affecting everything selling, no matter what it is
2. as we go through time, with newer generations coming into and wanting these old mopars, less and less care(or even know sometimes) what a V or J or R designates. They just don't care. They just want a solid (preferably running car) to enjoy and tinker with.. and currently 12k gets you a running driving mopar, even a big block in some instances.. now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying high desirable mopars will decrease in value as we get older, they are super rare and there are only so many to go around. but in essence a project car is marketed to the masses that are looking for a charger, and for 12k, it's out of most people's "project car" price range. Most of the guys who have/had the dough for a rare/desirable car, most likely already have one, and don't feel like getting 30-40k in over their head on another project at this point in life/economy. just my   :Twocents:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

1969chargerrtse

Not for nothing but aren't the V code autos rarer than the 4 speeds also?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 09, 2009, 07:26:15 AM
multiple carb cars WILL ALWAYS BE worth $$$$$$$ regardless of numbers maching or not....That being said of course matching numbers would be nice BUT that is not reality...most HP cars do not have the original drivetrain.....to state that the car is not worth any more then a 318 car because it doesn't have the original drivetrain is ludicrous. [

So, according to your statement I guess my Hemi car is only worth what a plain jane 69 318 charger is worth? Yeah...I don't think so....

That is a very reasonable price for a V code car in reasonable condition. With all the parts available today, that car would be a snap to put together...too bad I'm out of room, because if I wasn't that car would be in my back yard RIGHT NOW.

:iagree: Absolutely!  Where are all the "318" priced Hemi & Six Pack non-numbers matching cars being advertised for sale ???  :shruggy:  
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 09, 2009, 08:37:34 AM
Not for nothing but aren't the V code autos rarer than the 4 speeds also?

Yes, apparently they made more manuals than autos, but not by much in the scheme of things.. I believe it's 347 to 337 respectively or thereabouts.

Troy
Troy

Ghoste

It looks like the auction ended without any bids.  It's unfortunate but it is a sign of the times I guess.  That looks to be a very restorable car and will be a stunner when it's finished.  Two years ago the bidding would have started at twice that.
Wish I was in a position to take advantage of some of these cars.

charger_fan_4ever

Pointless.

I couldn't disagree more. I'd like to know for curosity's sake the percentage of 40 year old cars that retain the #'s matching drivetrains. If everyone thought the same way the prices would be a lot lower than they are now because probably more than 1/2 the second generations left out there are not #'s matching.

IMO As long as the body #'s match and you have the vin, fendertag and/or buildsheet any r/t is nothing to spit on.

The numbers match thingy is a term that was made popular by barret jackson and flippers IMO.

So I would assume you'd rather pay 12k for this #'s match 70 rt 440 than the v-code car without the correct engine.
::)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330374763625&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

mauve66

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 09, 2009, 09:51:26 AM

So I would assume you'd rather pay 12k for this #'s match 70 rt 440 than the v-code car without the correct engine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330374763625&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

"never been painted"   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: still showing all the bondo and rust, of course it hasn't been painted yet
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

472 R/T SE

I got this from Greg.  It might explain why no one's stepped up to the plate yet.

"Dear gottabmopar,

Hi Mike. Yes its the car you remember. That guy lost the build sheet and fender tag supposedly. However before he did, he sent Galen a copy of the build sheet and had him decode it. I'm waiting for that from Galen and when I get it I will share it with you. Greg

- beepbeeptb34me"

"That guy" Greg mentions was in & out of prison for meth, etc.  Rumor I heard was his father made him clean out the wrecking yard cause of his legal woes.  I remember a '71 'cuda there too.  It was supposedly a multi-carb BB.  I always thought the #'s matching motors for the Charger & 'cuda were at his house?  :shruggy:

I also remember him having a big sale on stuff.  My buddy's James & Dennis Beard went out there to pick up any 4 speeds & he was suppose to have had several BB's.  I remember mention of Hemi motors too. 

G-man

Thats all fairenough to say as thats pretty much how things sit in the market.

Im just saying to me personally... big stuff if the letter on the car says J or V when the damn J or V engine IS NOT in there that that number on the car specifies SHOULD be in there... so therefor its just a chager with a letter on it designating items that are not in the vehicle meaning as good as not even having the letter to me!

Ghoste

To each his own I guess.  They still excite me.  :drool5:

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: mauve66 on December 09, 2009, 03:36:52 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 09, 2009, 09:51:26 AM

"never been painted"   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: still showing all the bondo and rust, of course it hasn't been painted yet

He had it listed in the local classifieds for $ 18,500  :shruggy:
I called him thinking he might be interested in a trade deal for my 70 r/t(mine is a b5 car not a fan and i like the bronze) My car however has a new full floor,i have a new amd roof,trunk pan, 2 front fenders that were nos painted once. Basically his car needed all the parts i already have. He didn't even want to talk he asked right off do you have cash in hand to give plus my car before he'd even talk. Was like he thought he had a hemi car with original paint. Come to find out 1 rear frame rail is bad shape, so i wouldn't even want it #'s match or not. I'd rather my car with original frame rails,unibody atleast.

I've seen #'s match cars that basically the only original metal is the sections of the body with the #'s on it.

I dunno just me maybe, but i'd rather a car with more original metal and missing drivetrain than to have the #'s drivetrain and change every piece of metal and then try to say its a #'s match car.

No pun intended Gman, after all we are all entitled to our own opinion.  :Twocents:

Davtona

To each their own opinion I guess. But there were only so many V or J code cars built. They will always be worth more because of their rarity and desireability. With or with out their original motors. The ones with their original drivetrains will probably demand a premium at the time of sale. But a lot of times those cars are not the ones for sale. I wish I could put a J in place of the L on my Daytona's VIN but I can't. But a J code Daytona would definitely be worth more than a L code car with the original drivetrain even if it didn't have the original Hemi in it. My :Twocents:

hemi68charger

Quote from: G-man on December 09, 2009, 07:21:38 PM

Im just saying to me personally... big stuff if the letter on the car says J or V when the damn J or V engine IS NOT in there that that number on the car specifies SHOULD be in there... so therefor its just a chager with a letter on it designating items that are not in the vehicle meaning as good as not even having the letter to me!

Everyone has their opinion, that's what makes this country so great.........  Good for the rest of us.. One less person who we'll have to compete with to get an original six pack or hemi car without it's original motor...

On the flip-side....... the stamping of the vehicle's sequence or VIN on the block is, as G-man states, "big stuff if the letter on the car says J or V when the damn J or V engine IS NOT in there that that number on the car specifies SHOULD be in there.". Those little letters/numbers on the pan rail don't mean all that much to me.. A luxury, not a necessity.

Guess my v-code's worth it since it has the original block.. WooooHooo !!!! :boogie:

Troy
Troy

G-man

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 09, 2009, 08:57:00 PM
Quote from: G-man on December 09, 2009, 07:21:38 PM

Guess my v-code's worth it since it has the original block.. WooooHooo !!!! :boogie:

Troy

See that I can accept as genuine.  :2thumbs: